No good turn goes unpunished

Old July 12th 03, 02:09 AM

Default No good turn goes unpunished

I would report it to the authorities. Let them know what's going on -
otherwise you're doing the dog no good. Then tell them that you'll help find
the dog a decent home. That's the best you can do for the dog, since you
can't keep him yourself. Don't worry about being on good terms with the
neighbor - who'd want to be or even care?!

Anonymous Sender wrote in message
acolo.com...

I guess I'm posting this because I need some help thinking it through.
Please read this carefully before you reply. I really don't need any
lame answers.

My neighbors bought a puppy, which they treat like a stick of furniture.
They never walk it, play with it, or give it any attention. They do
feed it, but I've had to remind them to do it.

I felt sorry for this adorable little puppy, whom everyone seems to
love as he is a real charmer. I feared that if I complained they
would simply drop the pet off at a shelter and it would be euthanized.

So, I started walking the dog, playing with it, buying it toys, helping
to feed it. I haven't gotten a dog myself because my lifestyle is
unstable, both ecomically and physically. I didn't want to subject a
dog to this, or myself. Now I am emotionally attached to this dog and
he is really so loveable.

The latest is that the landlord and others have been complaining about
the dog who barks at them and nips at their heels in a playful way.
He is not biting, but is a border collie and this is the way he tries to
get people to stop and pay attention to him.

The landlord and others egress their ajoining property through our
back yard. The owner of the dog has been keeping the dog chained and I
have been lengthening the chain, feeling sorry for the dog in the 100
degree plus heat. There is shade, but not much room to run around.

So, I have become the bad guy for letting the dog have a few more feet
to run around. It is illegal in our city to chain a dog outside.

(anti-censor askldfjadkfjwe0raoerrjaksdjfklja;kdfjaksdjfkasdfjj kej
dajfkasdjfkdjfje9r9edanc adflkjaskdjf dkfjskdfj-edkfakfj sda flkjf
dlajkfe9-as=f=fsdafdlfjlkjfkl)

finally wrote him a check for $50 to buy materials for a section of fence
to complete a old fence that was partly taken out by him and partly
destroyed by another neighbors dog. I helped put in the fence which
a good day's work.

Now I see that the dog no longer has to be chained, but really has not
much more room to run about than he had before, but at least he has no
chain to get caught on things. I am however worried that he will

eventually
figure out a way to break out of the fencing.

Now the owner of the dog, the one who ignores him and TWICE I caught him
abusing the dog by playing rough with it to the extent that it shrieked
in pain-he now is careful to watch out for me, since he knows I despise
this kind of treatment. If I video taped it, I could have him criminally
charged for animal abuse.

Now the owner is pissed off at me for fencing our backyard for the dog.
I think it's because we didn't get his approval or he wants the backyard
to be open. He rarely, if ever uses it.

I am really tired of all this. I don't want to see the dog given up
to some shelter, but it is starting to cause me real problems that I
don't need. Plus it is getting to be expensive.

If anyone has any good ideas on how to deal with this situation, I'm
all ears. I would like to stay on good terms with this neighbor, but
it's getting difficult.