What to do with dog waste

Old August 1st 03, 03:09 PM
Allen

Default What to do with dog waste

Hi,

In a couple months I'll be getting married and my fiancee will be
moving into my house. Part of the package includes her 2 dogs. That's
ok with me... I've known them for a while and like them, and they like
me. My question is a practical one: what to do with the dog waste that
will soon be accumulating in my yard?

Currently she disposes of it in a burn pile in her backyard, but she
lives in a small town where backyard burning is still permitted...I
can't do that in the city where I live. It's also illegal to put it in
with the regular house garbage to be picked up.

So what else can I do? I've never had dogs before, so I don't know
what most people in my situation do. I guess some people just let it
pile up, but I don't want to do that.

I've done a little research and I know there are such things as dog
waste toilets or composters or digesters, or whatever they are called.
Do these things really work? How about in the winter (it gets really
cold here)? Some require digging a deep hole, and some are just a
container that sits on the ground...is one better than another? Would
one that just sits on the ground work in an area that can have
zero-degree temperatures in the winter?

I can read the advertising propaganda, but I would prefer hearing from
people who have had real-life experience with these things.

Thanks,

Allen
Old August 1st 03, 03:12 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Allen wrote in news:f5tkivkqm7drto14tva378tcu0hfmge6cc@
4ax.com:

I can read the advertising propaganda, but I would prefer hearing from
people who have had real-life experience with these things.

You might want to post this in rec.pets.dogs.behaviour. It has a lot more
traffic than any of the other groups in the rec.pets.dogs hierarchy.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'In a lifetime, the average cat sheds
14.95 lbs. of fur.'

Old August 1st 03, 03:22 PM
diddy

Allen wrote in
:

[...]

How big are the dogs?
Often, in the winter, when it doesn't digest in the doggy dooley digester
quite as well, If they are small dogs, drop it in the toilet in smaller
amounts and flush. I have 4 dogs. one 70 pounds, one 38 pounds, one 36
pounds and one 22 pounds.
I LOVE my doggy dooley digesters, but in winter, it does work less well.
I also have TWO of them. And in the summer, I usually dig an extra hole so
in case I need to move one in the winter,I can. Eventually they DO fill up.
But it takes a lot longer than you would think. When installing, dig a HUGE
hole. To make mine more portable, I place it in a car tire. I use the car
tire to cover the top of the hole and suspend the doggy dooley over the
pit. When it's time to relocate the doggy dooey to the new hole. I just
pick up the tire and all, and relocate, filling in the top of the old pit.
It reached -33 degrees this past winter. I do like the pit type, because
you will find you only have to dig pits every two years or so. It holds a
lot more than the top of the ground type. (I have two, because I tend to
throw horse poo in there too!)
Old August 2nd 03, 10:26 AM
Jo Wolf

DIddy... interesting way to suspend the container... with the tire!

Because I have So many trees in my yard, there's no good place to use
one of these devices, because of the overlapping root systems. I scoop
after my dogs and put each day's collection into a plastic bag, tie the
top and include it in the garbage. I used to flush it in the toilet,
but I had to futz around to remove pine needles, leaves, etc... which
was a nuisance.... and not exactly healthy....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 2nd 03, 01:37 PM
Mark/Shell

I pick up everyday and tie it in a carrier bag and hide it in the middle of
the bin bag of household waste. I've yet to see our refuse men digging
around to see what's in the bag ;(

Shell

Old August 5th 03, 07:28 AM
Katra

I shovel it into a 5 gallon bucket and let it compost...

It makes great fertilizer for the grape vines that border the yard. :-)

K.

MinnieWinnie wrote:

Hi,

I place it in a plastic bag in a small galvanized garbage can with a lid.
In the back corner of the yard. At the end of the week, the plastic bag
and contents goes in the garbage.

Nita

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

Breast Implants are the Stupidest idea ever. If I wanted to fondle
$10,000.oo worth of Silicon, I'd buy a new computer! --Anon.

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra