housebreaking question

Old August 10th 03, 12:28 PM
joe

Default housebreaking question

"Harlett O'Dowd" wrote in message
m...
this is an odd situation - any suggestions?

Although I've had dogs all my life I've never had a puppy - and never
a male (though I doubt that matters here) so I've never really had to
housebreak before.

I have two adult dogs (5 yr lab/chow and 14 yr chow/heinz 57) who are
NOT crate trained.

I just adopted a pound puppy - a 3 month old lab/shep male who was
pretty malnurished.

SO

I'm crate training him (for the first time) at least until he is house
broken and out of danger of his sisters eating all his food. If he
seems to like it, I may buy him a larger crate when he outgrows this
one or may keep him with his sisters in the open in our small laundry
room.

For a three month old puppy he is doing VERY well. He knows he is
supposed to eliminate when he goes outside (we have a large yard and
rarely walk) and can make it through the night (6 hours) most nights
with very rare mistakes. He has even *told* us once or twice when he
needs to go outside.

Here's the odd part:

we have a TV room upstairs in a loft. We block the exit stairs with a
pet gate and the whole *family* gathers in the evening to play (there
are lots of chew toys) and be fussed over while we watch TV. Even
after taking him outside seconds before we go upstairs he invariably,
after about 30 minutes to an hour eliminates on the rug. Not in the
same place every time. It always varies.
When we do this we immediately take him downstairs and put him in his
crate for time-out for an hour or so. And he cries.

I really think he is trying hard so I hate to, as it were, set him up
for failure night after night. At the same time, the lives of the
adult dogs have already seen a lot of upheaval since their brother
arrived so I hate to change what is a comfortable routine for them.

Short of taking the puppy outside every half hour on the half hour or
bringing the crate upstairs with us every night what might I try?

Apart from this I think he's doing remarkably well for a 3 month old -
especially one who had been a stray and at the humane society for a
while before we got him.

Thanks in advance.

I got a 5 week old pup, German shepherd, and i thought because how young he
was i would have allot of trouble house training him.......it took me and
my wife about a week, she would take him out in the daytime and i would do
it at night and everytime he went out and did his thing we would give him a
treat, now when he wants to go out , he goes to the back door and sits there
and barks until one of us lets him out....... i never like crating them,
but allot of people swear by it, us , we just give them allot of attention
and treats.........that's my 2 cents worth