WTD: Male Minpin

Old September 13th 03, 08:33 PM
Minpinlover

Default WTD: Male Minpin

Hi all dog lovers

We are looking for a minpin male for breeding purposes in Southern Ontario.
If anyone knows any proud owners of a male minpin please email us at our
email address.

Thank you

Wayne

Old September 15th 03, 06:37 AM

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:33:06 -0400 Minpinlover whittled these words:
Hi all dog lovers

We are looking for a minpin male for breeding purposes in Southern Ontario.
If anyone knows any proud owners of a male minpin please email us at our
email address.

From what is not in your post I suspect you are pretty new dog
breeding, or at least new to trying to look for an appropriate
mate for your dog. That's not a criticism, but an explanation
of why I have something to say, but no mate to offer.

People who really love and enjoy their dogs often would like to
make more. This is a natural impulse from that love and caring.
Before you jump into breeding, however, I'd like to suggest a bit
of investigation into all the aspects of breeding.

Please do some thinking first. Here is how I recommend getting started.
First, make a promise to yourself that you will honestly look at the
information you get. Plenty of time to argue with it later, for now
just read it as something to consider.
Then, take a look at the breeding faqs in the newsgroup
rec.pets.dogs.info
Also you can get the same information via the web start with
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/

The health of your dog, and of its prospective mate, and the healthy
genetic background of both the parents and grandparents should be
at the very top of your list of requirements. Once you do the research
I suggest you will see that good health involves more investigation
than simply a vet seeing no immediate problems. It requires a bit
more testing, research and investigation.

Obviously, no caring person would deliberatly breed a dog knowing that
there was a good chance that the puppies would suffer serious genetic
defect. Unfortunately, it is easy enough to believe that a dog that
appears healthy will have healthy pups. Isn't it better to learn the
truth before the breeding?

What makes me think you don't know that? I'm sure you are aware of the
most publicized problems in your breed: Patellar Luxation,
Cervical (Dry) Disc, Legg-Calve Perthes, Epilepsy, Thyroid, heart defects
and eye problems. But the best source of information on genetic health
issues is the breed club. And if you were a member of the breed club you
would be looking for your stud among dog with histories you would know
instead of among random folks on the internet.

Approximately 25 percent of the dogs in shelters that are killed
because there was no suitable placement available are purebred dogs.
Can you imagine one of the puppies you produce being one of these
dogs? The thought just gives me the shivers. As the breeder you
can significantly reduce the possiblity that will happen. Do you
know how?

You have lots of time, so why not take a deep breath and do some
research before you make this big decision. If you do breed, and
then learn things that make you regret it, it will be too
late. I know that twenty years ago I made a breeding decision, now
I wish I hadn't because I learned all the things I did wrong.
Unfortunately what they all boil down to is that even though my dog
was the most terrific dog in the entire world :-) she should never
have been bred at all :-(.

A good source of information are the rescue organizations.
They can tell you if there is an oversupply of your breed, and if
they are seeing health problems born of puppies from apparently
healthy parents.

You might want look at some others views on responsible breeding.
Start with my breeding ethics page
http://www.dog-play.com/ethics.html

After you do your research you will, at the very least, be
making your decision with knowledge. The right to exercise
choice means very little in the absence of such knowledge.
There really is a lot more to responsible,
caring breeding than it first appears. I urge you to
investigate further before your heart is committed.

Diane Blackman