Toupie 1990-2005

Old April 29th 05, 04:31 AM
Deborah Martin

Default Toupie 1990-2005

It is with a great deal of sorrow that we announce the death of Toupie, a
sable sheltie that we rescued from the SPCA Havelock raid in 1998. She was
nearly 15 years old.

Prior to being rescued, she had spent the first 6.5 years of her life being
kept in a small cage, abused and forced to breed twice a year. She weighed
about 7 pounds when we picked her up. We gave her as much love as we could
and while she never stopped spinning around (Toupie is French for "spinning
top"), she slowly got healthier. Her atrophied muscles came back with time
and, after 7 months, she was able to run again. She remained extremely shy
and submissive, staying away from everyone except my husband and I.

The Montreal SPCA put her on the August page of their 2000 calendar (Sorry,
I don't have a scanner). She died very quickly; a cancer we did not suspect
caused laboured breathing and her coughing up blood. By the time my husband
put her down on the vet's examination table, she breathed her last. She
will be missed.

Deborah

Remove "&mizar" to respond

Old April 29th 05, 09:14 AM
bodacious

Why is it that, in life, making the right decision nearly always means
making the tough decision, Deborah M ? You both had the strength and
selflessness to end her suffering, and before that to give her the blessing
of a lovely life, feeling special. I'm sure of that.
Let the tears flow if they need to but do not feel guilty.
Best wishes
Wess

Old April 30th 05, 06:03 AM
Deborah Martin

"bodacious" wrote in message
Why is it that, in life, making the right decision nearly always means
making the tough decision, Deborah M ? You both had the strength and
selflessness to end her suffering, and before that to give her the
blessing of a lovely life, feeling special. I'm sure of that.
Let the tears flow if they need to but do not feel guilty.
Best wishes
Wess

We don't feel guilty. While we did take her to the vet to end her
suffering, she died so quickly that all the vet had the time to do is
confirm she was gone. They actually never even charged us for the visit !
PetFriends was another matter; they want a King's ransom for the cremation
and urn.

Deborah

Remove "&mizar" to respond

Old May 1st 05, 09:56 AM
Charles Richmond

Deborah Martin wrote:

"bodacious" wrote in message
Why is it that, in life, making the right decision nearly always means
making the tough decision, Deborah M ? You both had the strength and
selflessness to end her suffering, and before that to give her the
blessing of a lovely life, feeling special. I'm sure of that.
Let the tears flow if they need to but do not feel guilty.
Best wishes
Wess

We don't feel guilty. While we did take her to the vet to end her
suffering, she died so quickly that all the vet had the time to do is
confirm she was gone. They actually never even charged us for the visit !
PetFriends was another matter; they want a King's ransom for the cremation
and urn.

I too am sorry for your loss.

We used to take our dogs to a kind of expensive vet. But for her
lifetime patients, she did *not* charge if she had to put down a dog.

ISTM that the crematories for dogs figure like this: if you care
enough about your dog to have him/her cremated, then they can gouge
you by charging the *large* price...and I think they are right. Of
course they should *not* charge so much, but I think they *can* get
away with it.

| Charles and Francis Richmond It is moral cowardice to leave |
| undone what one perceives right |
| richmond at plano dot net to do. -- Confucius |

Powpets Cutest Dog 2005 meowzz Dog behavior 0 April 28th 05 04:42 PM
From: Marty Wallace AKA Oscar firec3medic Dog behavior 3 March 1st 05 07:09 AM
dog urinates on everything pooteo Dog behavior 1 February 18th 05 10:57 AM
[OT] The 2005 RPDB Quilt Rocky Dog behavior 0 February 1st 05 12:22 AM
DONNER LAKE TAHOE 2005 TRUCKEE,CA PHOTOS DONNER LAKE 2005 Dog activities 0 January 16th 05 04:15 AM