Yorkie

Old July 31st 03, 03:35 AM
Sylgy

Default Yorkie

Would like to know from anyone who has a Yorkie what they think of the breed. Considering purchasing one but would like to get feedback from owners before I make a decision. Thanks.

Sylgy
Old July 31st 03, 05:15 AM
mike and dena

I have 2 Yorkies, and while I love the breed, I am the first to tell you they are extermely high maintanence family members! You have to be prepared to brush them at least once a day, and they need prof grooming at least every 6 weeks, if not more often. My little girl is very loving, she wants to be held constantly and will sit by my bed and cry if not allowed to sleep with us, while my little boy is extremely independant and only wants attention when he is in the mood for it. They are both barkers, and the boy is 7 years old, still pretty active and puppy like. The girl is almost 1, and she is far more calm and relaxed than he is/ Potty trainig tends to be an issue with this breed, patience is a virtue! Be sure to do your homework before you bring a new family member in, and it will be well worth your time. You also might consider rescue, there are always pets available. If you do go with a breeder, be sure to check around, there are lots of byb's out there who will sell you more trouble than you bargain for! Best of luck!
Dena

Old July 31st 03, 09:35 PM

We did Yorkie rescue for a number of years, and I have three of my own.
Yorkie temperament runs from extremely laid back, to extremely active.
Most fall somewhere in between. Some are barkers, but IME, most are not
unnecessarily noisy when properly cared for. They have a lot of teeth
for their mouth size, and will most likely need professional dental care
at least once in their lives. Retained baby teeth are common, and must
be pulled. Liver shunts are an issue, it's important to find a breeder
that does health testing. In the 30 or so yorkies we've cared for, I
only had one come through with luxating patellas. Collapsing tracheas
are more common.

They're great dogs. Occasionally you'll find one that's a little dog
aggressive, and they're very much the little terrier, meaning they can
be expected to have some level of prey drive. Coat care, if they carry
the proper texture, is fairly simple for a long coated dog. If the
dog's coat lacks proper texture, grooming can be a pain. Two of mine
have 'cottony' coats, and I keep them clipped short. Pups with a tiny
speck of white on their chest usually have good coat texture.

Good luck, they're great little dogs.

Debbie