dew claw removal

Old November 22nd 05, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default dew claw removal

It seems that Cali still has her dew claws. Can they be removed when she
gets spayed? Will they not do that at the same time? Do they need to be
removed or can she keep them? Thanks for any input.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article , MauiJNP wrote:
It seems that Cali still has her dew claws. Can they be removed when she
gets spayed? Will they not do that at the same time? Do they need to be
removed or can she keep them? Thanks for any input.

I'd discuss it with your vet right now. Some vets won't
remove them unless there are problems, others will. For the
average dog I'd tend to leave them on unless they're
detached. Is there some reason in particular you're
concerned about this?

Old November 22nd 05, 04:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

It seems that Cali still has her dew claws. Can they be removed when she
gets spayed? Will they not do that at the same time? Do they need to be
removed or can she keep them? Thanks for any input.

I'd discuss it with your vet right now. Some vets won't
remove them unless there are problems, others will. For the
average dog I'd tend to leave them on unless they're
detached. Is there some reason in particular you're
concerned about this?

it's different than Maui (and the other dog I have growing up, also a
poodle) so I am unfamiliar with them. if there is no reason to remove it, I
guess it might as well stay.

Old November 22nd 05, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

MauiJNP wrote:

It seems that Cali still has her dew claws. Can they be removed when she
gets spayed? Will they not do that at the same time? Do they need to be
removed or can she keep them? Thanks for any input.

I'd discuss it with your vet right now. Some vets won't
remove them unless there are problems, others will. For the
average dog I'd tend to leave them on unless they're
detached. Is there some reason in particular you're
concerned about this?

it's different than Maui (and the other dog I have growing up, also a
poodle) so I am unfamiliar with them. if there is no reason to remove it, I
guess it might as well stay.

If you're considering doing flyball I'd highly recommend removing them.
I've seen some appalling dew claw injuries. But if you want it done,
best ask your vet right away. On adult dogs the procedure to remove
them is much more involved than the quick snip-n-stitch newborns get,
and many vets will refuse to do it, even after they've been badly torn.

Kathleen

Old November 22nd 05, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

on 2005-11-22 at 06:23 wrote:

If you're considering doing flyball I'd highly recommend
removing them.

wasn't it Janet who has a picture of Franklin using his
dewclaws during a flyball turn?

i'm agnostic on the topic of removing dewclaws. they're
removed on Boxers, so harriet doesn't have any. elliott had
them, though. he was pretty active, and in brushy, rocky,
rough terrain, too, and never injured his. i'm totally
ignorant of flyball, though, so maybe that presents a serious
risk? it seems to me, though, that dogs *do* use their
dewclaws (thems what gots 'em), so i would want to give it
serious consideration before removing them.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old November 22nd 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Ask your vet what he/she thinks is best.
My personal opinion...the fewer times a dog needs to be put under the sleepy
sauce...the better...our normal practice with rescues is that when they get
spayed/nuetered we get the works all at once....spay/nueter---teeth cleaned
if needed---dew claws removed if needed---nails trimmed---ears deep
cleaned( or an ear enima if you prefer LOL).
The removal of dew claws is usually suggested by most vets as a
precautionary thing...so they do not get snagged on something causing the
dog injury. I cannot say that I have ever personally heard of that happening
(with a house dog, have seen it on hunting dogs)...but I am sure it does,
otherwise the vet would not suggest it.

Old November 22nd 05, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

on 2005-11-22 at 11:17 wrote:

when they get spayed/nuetered we get the works all at
once....spay/nueter---teeth cleaned if needed---dew claws
removed if needed---nails trimmed---ears deep cleaned( or an
ear enima if you prefer LOL).

huh. i've never had a vet who would do teeth cleaning at the
same time as any other procedure.

but I am sure it does, otherwise the vet would not suggest
it.

i've also never had a vet suggest that i have a dog's dewclaws
removed.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old November 22nd 05, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

shelly wrote:
on 2005-11-22 at 06:23 wrote:

If you're considering doing flyball I'd highly recommend
removing them.

wasn't it Janet who has a picture of Franklin using his
dewclaws during a flyball turn?

Yikes.

i'm agnostic on the topic of removing dewclaws. they're
removed on Boxers, so harriet doesn't have any. elliott had
them, though. he was pretty active, and in brushy, rocky,
rough terrain, too, and never injured his. i'm totally
ignorant of flyball, though, so maybe that presents a serious
risk? it seems to me, though, that dogs *do* use their
dewclaws (thems what gots 'em), so i would want to give it
serious consideration before removing them.

It's usually from a glancing contact between the dewclaw and the rubber
matting, sometimes during the box turn, or more commonly IME, during
decelleration in the runback area. A torn dew claw is a painful, bloody
injury.

As to dogs using their dewclaws, I've no doubt that there are some dogs
that can and do. But my Zane had his removed as a neonate and I've seen
him palm two balls at once - one in either front paw - gripping them
hard enough to hang onto them quite successfully while being lifted off
the ground by his harness. It's hard to imagine that he's lost any
manual dexterity.

Kathleen

Old November 22nd 05, 07:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

wasn't it Janet who has a picture of Franklin using his
dewclaws during a flyball turn?

Yikes.

I don't understand your "Yikes."

Old November 22nd 05, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:
As to dogs using their dewclaws, I've no doubt that there are some dogs
that can and do. But my Zane had his removed as a neonate and I've seen
him palm two balls at once - one in either front paw - gripping them
hard enough to hang onto them quite successfully while being lifted off
the ground by his harness. It's hard to imagine that he's lost any
manual dexterity.

Sleddogs generally have their dewclaws removed within
several days of whelping, because there's a reasonable
expectation that they'll be wearing booties in the future
and and there's a problem with sores under dewclaws forming
as a result of bootie pressure. However, that's an
exceptional case, as is participation in flyball. For the
average dog, unless there's a problem (for example, the
dewclaws aren't attached to the leg and are only being held
on by skin) dewclaw removal is just cosmetic surgery.

Blood work prior to lump removal Ar Fai Ve Dog health 1 August 13th 04 10:11 PM
Bleeding claw montana Dog health 1 December 4th 03 04:21 PM
Eye Removal Questions HomeR Dog health 6 September 3rd 03 07:39 PM
Eye Removal Questions HomeR Dog health 0 September 3rd 03 01:00 AM
Dew Claw Question Suja Dog breeds 9 July 8th 03 06:51 PM