Ping RobDar - Cane Corso

Old November 23rd 05, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Ping RobDar - Cane Corso

I figured it would probably be better to start a new thread on the CC
questions. What would you like to know?

Old November 23rd 05, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I have only had the occassion to meet a Cane once in my life. What a
gorgeous...yet oddly unnerving...dog. (poeple say they look like a big
Pitt...I disagree. I do not think Pitts are good looking dogs at all.) One
look into those eyes and you knew...this was not your run of the mill dog.
He was a friendly...but intense. He would sit on the porch in front of the
house and just watch...not watch in a curious, "oh look at that" kind of
way...more with a "I seeeee youuuuuuuu" creepy kind of stare. My cousins
mastiff is the same way...he sits and stares at you like he is just waiting
for you to do something stupid.
What would you say is their nature?
I am told they are very protective of home and family...is that true?
What were they originally bred for?
The are a Brazilian Breed correct?

m...

Old November 23rd 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:22:36 -0600, "RobDar"
wrote:

I have only had the occassion to meet a Cane once in my life. What a
gorgeous...yet oddly unnerving...dog. (poeple say they look like a big
Pitt...I disagree. I do not think Pitts are good looking dogs at all.) One
look into those eyes and you knew...this was not your run of the mill dog.
He was a friendly...but intense. He would sit on the porch in front of the
house and just watch...not watch in a curious, "oh look at that" kind of
way...more with a "I seeeee youuuuuuuu" creepy kind of stare. My cousins
mastiff is the same way...he sits and stares at you like he is just waiting
for you to do something stupid.
What would you say is their nature?
I am told they are very protective of home and family...is that true?
What were they originally bred for?
The are a Brazilian Breed correct?

"ZPL" wrote in message
om...
I figured it would probably be better to start a new thread on the CC
questions. What would you like to know?

We walk each morning with a Cane. Lovely dog. Protective of his human
companion but not overly so. I've never heard him bark. I think if I
were to come across him on the path alone and didn't see his human I
might be a bit leery because he looks like he could rip you apart -
but i believe that thought has never crossed his mind - he's just a
big ole teddy bear.
Old November 24th 05, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

No, actually the Corso is an Italian breed. Very close to the Neapolitan
Mastiff. The Fila is the Brazilian breed - very interesting, very
different. But I don't think I will every own a Fila. Fila are VERY bonded
to their family and very protective, but it is almost impossible to
introduce someone after maturity.

The Corsos are touted to be the "gladiator" dogs of Rome. But in all
honesty they are more of an all purpose farm dog. Folks in the US like to
do Personal Protection with them because they take to it so well, but they
also drove and have great scenting and catch abilities and were used to
keep lands clear of boar and other large vermin. They are probably the
closest thing to a herding dog mentality in the mastiff group.

Most mastiffs have that "I see you" stare. They are not very vocal as far
as dogs go, only barking when necessary. They are guardians - means that
many were bred to stay on the porch and watch what is going on and only
alert when it is needed. My Corso is much more vocal than my bullmastiff
however - he howls too.

"RobDar" wrote in message

I have only had the occassion to meet a Cane once in my life. What a
gorgeous...yet oddly unnerving...dog. (poeple say they look like a big
Pitt...I disagree. I do not think Pitts are good looking dogs at all.) One
look into those eyes and you knew...this was not your run of the mill dog.
He was a friendly...but intense. He would sit on the porch in front of the
house and just watch...not watch in a curious, "oh look at that" kind of
way...more with a "I seeeee youuuuuuuu" creepy kind of stare. My cousins
mastiff is the same way...he sits and stares at you like he is just
waiting for you to do something stupid.
What would you say is their nature?
I am told they are very protective of home and family...is that true?
What were they originally bred for?
The are a Brazilian Breed correct?

m...

Cane Corso Joe Banks Dog breeds 0 October 22nd 05 06:34 AM
Cane Corso Cles Dog behavior 1 July 11th 05 04:37 PM
Training My 8 week old Cane Corso Female [email protected] Dog behavior 3 July 4th 05 07:06 AM
What's "ping"? Nat Dog behavior 9 January 14th 04 08:32 AM
What's "ping"? Nat Dog behavior 0 January 14th 04 12:07 AM