Potty Training an older dog?

Old November 23rd 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Potty Training an older dog?

Just wondering if anyone here has much experience potty training an older
dog.

I just started fostering a 10 year old lab, and I have a strong feeling that
he was never properly toilet trained. He seems to be able to hold it in when
he wants to (like in his crate, or other confined space) but when he's free
to roam about the house, rather than asking to go outside, he lets loose
inside (both pee and poop). I don't *think* its a medical issue, because as
I said, he seems to be able to hold it just fine when he has reason to, and
having caught him in the act, it's deliberate (it doesn't just leak out).

Decided to take him 'back to basics' as far as toilet training is concerned,
and watch him like a hawk inside, and take him outside frequently (lots of
praise and sometimes treats if he goes outside). So far we've managed to
keep the mistakes to a minimum (3 pees, and 1 poop in a week, only 1 of the
pee accidents since we started our regimen) but its still very much driven
by us (AFAIK, he hasn't asked to go out even once).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dale

Old November 24th 05, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Sounds like you are on the right track by going back to basics.

I would add to it lots of little treats every time he goes out and tons of
praise. Also use a specific word or phrase everytime you take him out and
stay with so he associates it with a trip to go pee. With my current dog
she knows that "lets go pee" means a trip outside and a treat when she comes
back in. Since he's afraid you have to expect that it will take a while to
earn trust but labs are usually very food driven so the treats help tons.
I used this with a 2 year old lab mix who was abused. She was leary of me
at first but was very food driven. She quickly learned that going out to do
her business meant she got a goodie and lots of lovins and never any
scolding something she had way to much of in her early years.

The best feeling in the world was the day she barked at me to go out. I had
her for almost 2 years before she got up the nerve to bark in front of me.
The previous owner beat her for barking so this to me meant I had finally
earned her trust.

Celeste

Old November 24th 05, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"Dale Atkin" writes:

Just wondering if anyone here has much experience potty training an older
dog.

Yeah, I have way too much experience with that but I still don't feel like
I have much expertise on the subject.

I just started fostering a 10 year old lab,

Thank you.

Decided to take him 'back to basics' as far as toilet training is concerned,
and watch him like a hawk inside, and take him outside frequently (lots of
praise and sometimes treats if he goes outside).

Sounds like you're doing well.

I'd consider a "belly band" for reducing the pee problem. I haven't gotten
one yet but I start to order one every time we have a new dog in the house.
(I wish a local store carried them.) They look like they're worth a try.

Good luck.

--kyler
Old November 24th 05, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

I'd consider a "belly band" for reducing the pee problem. I haven't
gotten
one yet but I start to order one every time we have a new dog in the
house.
(I wish a local store carried them.) They look like they're worth a try.

Hmmm. Interesting, I'd never seen one before. Not quite at that stage yet,
but its nice to know these things exist. (so far I wouldn't actually call
him 'difficult' to house train, he's just new at it).

Dale

Old November 24th 05, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"Spot" wrote in message
Sounds like you are on the right track by going back to basics.

I would add to it lots of little treats every time he goes out and tons of
praise.

Lots of praise we do (although I did scare him once being overly
enthusiastic... His original owner was a 74 year old woman when she got him,
so probably pretty sedate...) He gets little treats sometimes, but not
everytime, mostly worried about the weight gain issue. If it goes on for too
long (we've only been at it a week today), I'll start making them every time
(but then of course my guy (17 months old), is going to start wanting them
too!)

Also use a specific word or phrase everytime you take him out and stay
with so he associates it with a trip to go pee.

We use "do you need to go outside?" and then when we get there, "Dempsey go
pee."

With my current dog
she knows that "lets go pee" means a trip outside and a treat when she
comes back in. Since he's afraid you have to expect that it will take a
while to earn trust but labs are usually very food driven so the treats
help tons.

Actually I think other than not potty training him, his previous home was
pretty good. The original owner had to give him up, as she was getting too
old to take care of him (84 years old). Probably too old for him when she
got him too, which explains the house training issues.

I used this with a 2 year old lab mix who was abused. She was leary of me
at first but was very food driven. She quickly learned that going out to
do her business meant she got a goodie and lots of lovins and never any
scolding something she had way to much of in her early years.

The best feeling in the world was the day she barked at me to go out. I
had her for almost 2 years before she got up the nerve to bark in front of
me. The previous owner beat her for barking so this to me meant I had
finally earned her trust.

I can't imagine how great that felt. Dempsey is starting to settle in, and
get used to his new environment (as I say I think his original home wasn't
bad per se. she just was too old to train him properly). Last night he got
up and sat on a lap while we watched TV together.

Dale

Old November 25th 05, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

I think a lot of times dogs don't understand that they *can* ask you for
anything. That they can influence your behavior in a positive way.

A lot of dogs need to be taught to let you know they want out. Some people
hang jingle bells on the door, and touch the bells every time before they
go out with the dog. If the dog isn't afraid, they touch the bells with
some part of the dog -- nose, paw, whatever.

On the general house-breaking front -- I think it is very helpful to have
specific commands (not just "do you want to go out?"). At our house, "hurry
up" means "go pee", and "get finished" means "go poop." Then if they are
wandering around sniffing, I can say "hurry up!" and they often think "oh,
yeah, I did need to do that." Same with "get finished!" -- they are more
likely to do everything if I have a specific way to remind them.

It's great that you are helping this guy learn to be a good indoor pet! Keep
up the good work. :-)

Old November 25th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Dale Atkin wrote:

[...]

We adopted a senior dog from the shelter before. We have found that senior
shelter dogs often attach themselves to one person. My wife was the person.
When the dog went outside and pooped, my wife would praise him highly
and pet him. She was his main person and he would do *anything* to
please her. The dog got to where he would *not* poop unless she was there
to praise him for it. Great dog!!! We only got to keep him about four years,
before he went to doggy heaven.

We now have another older dog. She does *not* go to the door to ask out.
Instead, she comes to get you. You have to *know* that this means she wants
out. So my advice is for you to watch tha habits of your older dog. He may
have his own way to indicate that he wants to go out. It may take some
patience, but I believe that he will get the idea about going out. I am sure
that he wants to please you and just needs to understand how.

Old November 28th 05, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Just an update, he's started to ask to go out (couple of times now)... Not
quite actually 'go to the door and woof' stage, but he is go to the door and
sit, so we're doing something right . Still watching closely, but he's
doing good. I think my guy, Erwin (1 1/2) is a good influence on him.

Dale

Old November 28th 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

In article ,
Dale Atkin wrote:
Just an update, he's started to ask to go out (couple of times now)... Not
quite actually 'go to the door and woof' stage, but he is go to the door and
sit, so we're doing something right . Still watching closely, but he's
doing good. I think my guy, Erwin (1 1/2) is a good influence on him.

Dale

WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :-) :-)

He is very lucky to have found his way to you!!!!! :-)

Old November 28th 05, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"Dale Atkin" writes:

Just an update, he's started to ask to go out (couple of times now)... Not
quite actually 'go to the door and woof' stage, but he is go to the door and
sit, so we're doing something right .

Indeed!

In case you want to try something...someone told me she put a (jingle-
style) bell at the door the dog could use to signal. It'd be easy to
try; just jingle it every time you let out the dog. Eventually he
might get it.

Good luck.

--kyler