Dog has Bone Cancer

Old November 24th 05, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog has Bone Cancer

"George" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Our Vet mentioned there is a clinic in New York City that
can do surgery, replace bone in the joint. The operation is
very expensive $9,000 to $10,000 US.

Have you discussed amputation with your veterinarian?

Old November 24th 05, 04:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Our 9 year old Boxer/Pit-bull mix has bone cancer. He has a tumor growing on
his left leg, bottom of the leg on the joint. He is limping, but does not
seem to have any pain. God what a tough call, we don't want him to suffer.
We have decided to wait before having him put down and really pamper him. He
is a great dog.
Our Vet mentioned there is a clinic in New York City that can do surgery,
replace bone in the joint. The operation is very expensive $9,000 to $10,000
US.
Has anyone ever heard of such a operation?

George

Old November 24th 05, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"George" wrote in message
. ..
Our 9 year old Boxer/Pit-bull mix has bone cancer. He has a tumor growing

on
his left leg, bottom of the leg on the joint. He is limping, but does not
seem to have any pain.

...........that's unusual. Amputation is usually done to control the pain.
Once the dog is in pain, it usually cannot be controlled with enough
narcotics to maintain any kind of normal life.

Our Vet mentioned there is a clinic in New York City that can do surgery,
replace bone in the joint. The operation is very expensive $9,000 to

$10,000
US.
Has anyone ever heard of such a operation?

.........No I haven't. Bone cancer usually metastisizes. Amputation is the
first choice. I can't really believe that this bone replacement is of any
use. Without knowing more about it, seems to be a giant financial and
emotional rip off.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 24th 05, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

If it is in the leg why doesn't the vet want to do amputation? I have a cat
who at the age of 3 had a giant cell tumor on the rear leg and the
orthopedic amputated. She's been fine ever since and is now 7 years old.
Dogs & cats to extremely well with amputation and adapt very quickly.

Celeste

. ..

Old November 24th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I have recently had a similar experience with a Mastiff with bone cancer in
the leg...I also thought an amputation would be OK if needed but was advised
that the larger breeds don't do well with amputation...I'm no expert but
really feel that the entire nightmare is only extended with that
choice...Certainly expert opinions are needed...But it's important to look
at lifespan and quality of life...I feel and can completely empathize with
your nightmare...I wish the best for all of you...These are in my opinion
the worst of times...My heart is with you...GG

"Spot" wrote in message
If it is in the leg why doesn't the vet want to do amputation? I have a
cat who at the age of 3 had a giant cell tumor on the rear leg and the
orthopedic amputated. She's been fine ever since and is now 7 years old.
Dogs & cats to extremely well with amputation and adapt very quickly.

Celeste

. ..

Old November 24th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I don't really think being large breed will make that much difference.
My first Rottie had to have the front right taken off back in the mid
80's. It hardly slowed him down in the least and he lived many more
years enjoying all the things he ever enjoyed before, including herding
the sheep around the pasture.

Old November 24th 05, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

This is a very personal decision George. It is tough to offer any helpful
advice on such a personal matter.

If bone cancer in dogs is similar to that in humans in the manner in which
it behaves and spreads, (which my assumption is that it is but never having
a dog who had it I cannot say for sure), then the people suggesting
amputation may be on the right road. Bone cancer is a very difficult thing
to cure effectively and, at least in humans, spreads quickly. I actually
tried to call a vet friend of mine for you to be able to offer some
qualified advice (and to cure my own curiousity) but he must be turkey
munching.
My feeling on the joint replacement is that if the cancer has spread beyond,
to the marrow as an example, then you have cured nothing, the dog is still
sick, and you are out a whole chunk of money. If it were my choice...and
having had family members with Bone cancer...I think I may take the safest
route and amputate.
My understanding of the amputation of limbs on larger dogs is that the
larger the dog the more wear and tear the remaining limbs endure. This
increases the likelyhood of, but does not guarantee the occurance of, issues
like arthritis. While considering amputation of a Coonhounds leg that was
hit by a car, our vet inferred that there is not a signifigant amount more
risk in amputation of a large breeds leg than that of a small breed, other
than the larger dogs are typically not as agile and may have a somewhat more
difficult time with balance and cooridination. Keep in mind that this was a
Coonhound in comparison to a Beagle...whether the same would hold true for
more lumbering breeds like Mastiff's...I cannot say.
What I will say is that we have met literally dozens of Pit's and a handful
of Boxers with amputations and to my knowledge none of them have had any
problems.

. ..

Old November 24th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

The issue is not so much that amputation would not work but bone cancer is
not curable...And in fect often when we finally become aware it's too
late...This is a very personal decision and we each need to do as we feel is
best for all...Good luck....GG
"RobDar" wrote in message
[...]

. ..

Old November 24th 05, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Yes we have. Our dog has some hip problems and we feel it would be to hard
on him. He weighs 90lbs.

George

--
Country Meadows Kennel
www.countrymeadowskennel.com

Old November 25th 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"George" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

[Leg amputation.]

Our dog has some hip problems and we feel it
would be to hard on him. He weighs 90lbs.

So it's a rear leg? I had a similar situation with Good Ol'
Murphy and osteosarcoma. Because of severe hip displaysia,
amputation wasn't an option because the other leg/hip couldn't
compensate. Since she was 14, I chose euthanasia once the NSAID
no longer was effective.

Good luck.