Dremel on scared dog toes

Old November 25th 05, 08:00 AM
SunnyGirl SunnyGirl is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon
Send a message via AIM to SunnyGirl
Question Dremel on scared dog toes

Hey, so I have 2 dogs, Mini Aussie, Jazz and Sheltie Mix, Sunny. My mom and I (Im 17) do their toes regularly and use a dremel. Recently (about the last 3 times we've done the toes) Jazz totally freaks out. She starts shaking and panting uncontrollably and tries to hide in my arms or climb over my shoulder. She used to be somewhat ok with it, she would pull back alot and stuff but it wasnt nearly as scary for her... I dont know why she has suddenly decided to freak out. How can I get her over this? Also Sunny pulls back alot as well... Is there some way Ican make her more comfortable as well? Thanx!
Lindsey

Old November 25th 05, 09:40 PM
SunnyGirl SunnyGirl is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon
Send a message via AIM to SunnyGirl

[quote=RobDar]Has anything happened while trimming her nails that may have caused ther
fear?

Yea but it was along time ago, she got some fur caught in it. It happened once like a year ago and she was fine afterward. She has never really liked the trimming but she would somewhat tolerate it (like her sister pull back but not in a scared fashion just like I dont want to sit here any more) Even after her hair was caught she didnt freak out after ward...
Old November 27th 05, 08:11 PM
SunnyGirl SunnyGirl is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon
Send a message via AIM to SunnyGirl

DEBBIE! lol I didnt know u and Stafford were here! lol yea it is probably punishment huh? Ill start running faster, see if it helps...
And yea I am starting over with Jazz desensitizing and stuff to get herused to is, I can have it on and near her and shes ok now, but touching her is a whole different story. But we'll get there!!
Old November 28th 05, 03:21 AM
SunnyGirl SunnyGirl is offline
Junior Member

Location: Oregon
Send a message via AIM to SunnyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S

I. Am. Everywhere. ;-)
LOL I Luv that! Better everywhere then nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S
So touch her with it when it's off. Put it on low and rub her back with it. Sounds like you just went too fast for her, or she felt the heat and got scared. Jazzy is a sensitive little flower, you need to
encourage confidence with her while not coddling.
I was working with her today on that. I can rub her with it off but the dremel we have is actuall like a tool thing like for whatever dremels are supposed to be for (stole it from my dad) so it only has 2 speeds, and the 'slow' on it is still fairly fast, and she wont allow it running on her, should I buy a new one that is for dogs? if so which one is recommended? How do I go about encouraging confidence? that is a huge problem for me!! right now Im jst praising and treating, not helping the weight issue lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S
Sunny's new parents are coming to pick her up in about an hour. YAY!!!
Thats awesome!! she finally got a forever home?! I only saw her once but she is adorable and probably alot of fun. Hope all goes well with her!!

*Just have to say, that quoting thing is insanely difficult!!*

Lindsey
Old November 28th 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

SunnyGirl writes:

I was working with her today on that. I can rub her with it off but the
dremel we have is actuall like a tool thing like for whatever dremels
are supposed to be for (stole it from my dad) so it only has 2 speeds,
and the 'slow' on it is still fairly fast, and she wont allow it

Sounds like the Black and Decker model I have. Have you tried running
it with the sanding head removed (nothing in the collet)? Mine is much
less noisy that way.

How do I go about encouraging confidence?

Tough one. I used another dog.

Good luck.

--kyler
Old December 2nd 05, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

You probably cut the nail close and when you used the dremel you got a bit
too close to the nerve in the nail...
You have to start slow with her again. Put the dremel (back end) onto her
paw a little bit, baby talk, give her a treat when she's doing good.. just
go really slow with her. Once she lets you get farther, like maybe putting
the back end of the dremel (so she feels the vibration) onto her paw, just
make a big (good) fuss about it. then try doing a nail, very slowly, talk to
her and tell her it's ok in a calm voice.. it'll take some time but if
yo'ure gentle with her she'll trust you that it won't hurt her

g' luck

Old January 24th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

SunnyGirl wrote:
Hey, so I have 2 dogs, Mini Aussie, Jazz and Sheltie Mix, Sunny. My
mom and I (Im 17) do their toes regularly and use a dremel. Recently
(about the last 3 times we've done the toes) Jazz totally freaks out.
She starts shaking and panting uncontrollably and tries to hide in my
arms or climb over my shoulder. She used to be somewhat ok with it,
she would pull back alot and stuff but it wasnt nearly as scary for
her... I dont know why she has suddenly decided to freak out. How
can I get her over this? Also Sunny pulls back alot as well... Is
there some way Ican make her more comfortable as well? Thanx!
Lindsey

You might try an extension on the tool and move the motor a good distance
away.

I always thought my dog was afraid of the vacuum cleaner (he saw it so
rarely) until he went deaf.
It was the sound and not the machine. Now he ignores it and I suspect I
could vacuum him with no problem.

Dremel Question Suja Dog behavior 0 September 28th 04 06:48 PM
Dog suddenly scared of me Tom Dog behavior 0 July 14th 04 04:42 PM
Dog suddenly scared of me Tom Dog behavior 0 July 14th 04 04:42 PM
Woo hoo! We got a Dremel! Shelley Dog behavior 20 August 6th 03 09:59 PM
lab mix, scared of EVERYTHING...suggestions? Dave Austin Dog health 4 July 5th 03 03:36 AM