Dog food for a tiny dog

Old November 26th 05, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Dog food for a tiny dog

Our little dachshund, Trixie, finds that the Nutro Max mini-chunk food
we have been giving her is too big. I don't think Nutro Max doesn't
make anything smaller. Can anyone recommend a food that is good for the
dog but comes in a size this little one will be able to handle?

Old November 27th 05, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Yes, I am almost positive nutro comes in small bites.... I bought some for
some of our fosters,,,, I am from Buffalo pug and small breed rescue so most
of our rescue dogs are small,,,,,,

oups.com...

Old November 27th 05, 12:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 26 Nov 2005 14:35:17 -0800, "Big Phil" wrote:

Our little dachshund, Trixie, finds that the Nutro Max mini-chunk food
we have been giving her is too big. I don't think Nutro Max doesn't
make anything smaller. Can anyone recommend a food that is good for the
dog but comes in a size this little one will be able to handle?

We use Wellness brand - very small kibble.
Old November 27th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Big Phil wrote:
Our little dachshund, Trixie, finds that the Nutro Max mini-chunk food
we have been giving her is too big. I don't think Nutro Max doesn't
make anything smaller. Can anyone recommend a food that is good for the
dog but comes in a size this little one will be able to handle?

Are you sure Trixie finds the kibble size too big? It's an interesting
phenomena that in nearly every published study whenever dogs are
presented with two different kibble sizes or exactly the same food,
they always prefer the larger kibble. I suspect it's because dogs like
to chew. Does Trixie get any kind of treats? Is the treat in small
pieces? Much of the time the preference for the smaller kibble is
based on pet owner perception and not the dogs perception. You might
try a simple test and give Trixie two different bowls of the same
kibble, most manufacturers make a small bite version of the regular
food. Check the label and make sure the food is identical, label
ingredients, nutrient panel etc and see what Trixie prefers. I suspect
you may be in for a surprise.

Old November 27th 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Thanks, Steve, -- and everyone. Trixie certainly does like to chew, and
she does get treats occasionally (well, maybe more than she should, but
she is still under 9 pounds). You guys have all been very helpful, and
I do appreciate it.

Old November 28th 05, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Big Phil" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a food that is good for the
dog but comes in a size this little one will be able to handle?

I have to wonder a bit about her not being able to handle the size - my
JRT weighed 4.2 lbs when I got her, and never had any significant trouble
tackling dog biscuits, bones, and chew toys that were WAY bigger than any
piece of kibble.
However, FWIW, ProPlan - which is a good quality kibble despite being
made by Purina, and won't break the bank like the so-called "premium"
kibbles- is in small, flattish, rounded pieces which even a very small dog
ought to be able to handle.
My JRT (now full grown at just under 14 lbs) has no trouble chewing it up,
and my elder dog who doesn't chew, but swallows kibble whole never has
problems with it.
I feed the turkey-barley formula, and my dogs do extremely well on it.

Old November 28th 05, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Can anyone recommend a food that is good for the
dog but comes in a size this little one will be able to handle?

I have to wonder a bit about her not being able to handle the size - my
JRT weighed 4.2 lbs when I got her, and never had any significant trouble
tackling dog biscuits, bones, and chew toys that were WAY bigger than any
piece of kibble.
However, FWIW, ProPlan - which is a good quality kibble despite being
made by Purina, and won't break the bank like the so-called "premium"
kibbles- is in small, flattish, rounded pieces which even a very small dog
ought to be able to handle.

I use Pro Plan small bites for small breed dogs. It works well for Maui.
Cali still gets what her breeder feed her since I was given a 10 pound bag
of it (its Diamond brand). I was thinking about getting the regular Pro
Plan for Maui so the bites are bigger but he doesn't like to chew so I am
thinking he'd choke trying to swallow them whole like he does with the small
ones now.

Old November 29th 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Sionnach" wrote in message
However, FWIW, ProPlan - which is a good quality kibble despite being
made by Purina, and won't break the bank like the so-called "premium"
kibbles- is in small, flattish, rounded pieces which even a very small dog
ought to be able to handle.

The only thing w/ ProPlan (at least the kind I used to buy) is that it is
hard as a rock! It takes quite a bit to soften it (w/ water) as well.
Coda had lost a molar, and I knew that the sensitive skin & stomach was one
food that he could eat while he recouped.
(He has several allergies, and it fed a mostly raw diet)

When I buy kibbles now, I get a bag of Prarie's Nature's Variety (I'm
currently feeding that mixed w/ their raw frozen until I acquire more
freezer space, my husband had a bounty hunting year and our 14cu ft. freezer
is FULL!). They are very tiny round pieces, and even Coda, allergies &
all, can eat it. In fact, I'm really pleased with the outcome I'm seeing
with feeding this to all three of my dogs.

Since many little dogs are known for dental issues, I'd make certain that
the OP's dog doesn't have any teeth issues that may be causing her
reluctance.
Shelly w/ Coda & The Black Pack