Dog Digging holes

Old November 27th 05, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog Digging holes

I know that's what dogs do. But now I have two of them and they are turning
my back yard into what looks like a detonated land mine field. Anyway to
discourage the puppies from doing that. Seems my beagle who cold smell an
earthworm or a grub from fifty miles is the mastermind behind it all. The
boxer pup only watches him in what seems to be growing admiration !

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old November 27th 05, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 09:17:10 -0600, "Joshuall" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I know that's what dogs do. But now I have two of them and they are turning
my back yard into what looks like a detonated land mine field. Anyway to
discourage the puppies from doing that. Seems my beagle who cold smell an
earthworm or a grub from fifty miles is the mastermind behind it all. The
boxer pup only watches him in what seems to be growing admiration !

supervision.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old November 27th 05, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Joshuall wrote:

I know that's what dogs do. But now I have two of them and they are turning
my back yard into what looks like a detonated land mine field. Anyway to
discourage the puppies from doing that. Seems my beagle who cold smell an
earthworm or a grub from fifty miles is the mastermind behind it all. The
boxer pup only watches him in what seems to be growing admiration !

I don't know how useful this would be for the multi-hole problem, but
when one of my dogs attempted to dig a bunker next to the foundation of
the house, I retaliated by dumping dog poop into his crater. His own
poop, plus that of his two housemates. It was actually a pretty
effective deterrent.

Kathleen

Old November 28th 05, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Thanks for you advice Janet it was... uh.... well maybe when I have nothing
else to do just sit on the back deck for hours and . . . well supervise
them.

Kathleen . . . thanks for your thoughts.

Puppy **** head. . . shut up and crawl back under your rock.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old November 28th 05, 12:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:26:38 -0600, "Joshuall" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Thanks for you advice Janet it was... uh.... well maybe when I have nothing
else to do just sit on the back deck for hours and . . . well supervise
them.

the idea is to BRING THEM IN with you. A novel approach that works.

Old November 28th 05, 01:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

They're in with me all the time. They have a doggie door. We don't have the
luxury of sitting around the home 24 hours a day as apparently you do. Your
recommendation was short, stupid and arrogant. Keep it to yourself from now
on moron.

--
God Bless America

Josh The Bad Bear

Old November 28th 05, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Janet B wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:26:38 -0600, "Joshuall" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Thanks for you advice Janet it was... uh.... well maybe when I have nothing
else to do just sit on the back deck for hours and . . . well supervise
them.

the idea is to BRING THEM IN with you. A novel approach that works.

Well, yeah. But when we were growing up, one of our BCs was a
prey-driven digging machine. She could tear open a mole tunnel, extract
the varmint and kill and eat it before you could cross the yard to stop
her (granted, it was a big yard). And screaming as you came only
inspired her to greater speed ("ACK! NO! LEAVE IT! Oh... eww.). A
lawn service company offered to spray the yard with insecticide. Kill
the grubs and the moles would leave, that was the theory. My folks
decided that the lawn chemicals were more of a worry than the holes in
the yard. We still had to treat the dog, though, for the ongoing
tapeworm infestation.

Kathleen

Kathleen

Old November 28th 05, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:19:25 -0600, Kathleen
, clicked their heels and said:

And screaming as you came only
inspired her to greater speed ("ACK! NO! LEAVE IT! Oh... eww.).

that's because screaming doesn't work, training does.

Old November 28th 05, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:13:57 -0600, "Joshuall" ,
clicked their heels and said:

They're in with me all the time. They have a doggie door. We don't have the
luxury of sitting around the home 24 hours a day as apparently you do. Your
recommendation was short, stupid and arrogant. Keep it to yourself from now
on moron.

They're quite obviously NOT in with you all of the time, or they
wouldn't be having the opportunity to dig. I'm not home 24 hours a
day. When I'm not home, my dogs are safely indoors. When I am home,
they are still indoors most of the time, unless I am spending time
outdoors with them.

Pretend you live in an apartment.

Old November 28th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:53:48 -0600, "Joshuall" ,
clicked their heels and said:

In any event she's still rude, arrogant and a moron . . . but then that's
what probably makes her attracted to Puppy Wiz. g.

now this is a humorus stretch.

Fact is Joshua, if you leave your dogs out on their own, or with
access to the yard without supervision, they're going to make up their
own fun. For many dogs, that's digging, especially if there are
vermin, a desire to get out of the yard, etc.

You can always concrete pave your yard, but somehow it seems a whole
lot easier to just prevent the issue.