cheaper alternatives to Rimadyl and Glycoflex?

Old November 29th 05, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default cheaper alternatives to Rimadyl and Glycoflex?

Hi,
I'm a poor college student at the University of Minnesota who loves her

dog very much. I'm looking for some alternative treatments for my dog -

which means I would really appreciate your help!!

Phydeaux is a sweet but clumsy mutt - best guess German short-hair
pointer and Great Dane. He's about a year and three months and a
baffling 85 lbs. Brown spotted like a cow, lanky awkward legs and the
purtiest green eyes you'd ever see.

But he's also got a bum knee, his right hind leg - injured somehow and
now it's swollen. I think it was injured a long time ago, then it was
fine for a long time, then suddenly has been getting worse. I don't
have a true diagnosis because I'm too poor right now even to get the
x-rays to find out exactly what's wrong. The vet said she thought it
was either that his patella is moving around where it shouldn't be or
some sort of ligament issue. And because of the injury, pretty bad
arthritis (which is why it suddenly got worse when it turned cold, I
think).

Her suggestion was surgery for either case - or (or until then)
anti-inflammatory pain-killers (Rimadyl) and glucosamine/chondroitin
supplement (Glycoflex II) for the arthritis. I want to do all I can for

my dog, but I also understand that I am extremely limited by my
situation and the cost of medical help for my Phydog.

I'm looking for cheaper alternatives for Rimadyl and Glycoflex.

I've heard that (buffered, non-enteric-coated) aspirin can be a safe
alternative for a puppy pain killer, and carries with it only about the

same risk as when people take it everyday (stomach ulcers, etc), if
taken with food and in the right dosage. I've heard 10-15 mg/lb/12hrs.

As far as finding a glucosamine supplement replacement, I'm wondering
if the (usually much cheaper) human dietary supplements to the same
effect are safe for dogs. In my small and uneducated research online,
it appears like they can be, keeping a couple of things in
consideration:
1. Correct dosage. (I forget the numbers now.)
2. Products designed for dogs often have ascorbic acid or manganese to
help aid in the uptake of glucosamine; I'm not sure if human brands do
or not. How can I supplement Phydrool's diet with this also? Do I need
to?
3. Since the FDA doesn't regulate dietary supplements, there are a lot
of crappy ones out there that do not contain the amount they say they
do or a high enough quality product. Got to be sure to find a good one
that'll do what it's supposed to.

I'm looking for other professional opinions before I return to the vet
because I felt like she wasn't offering me any options. There have to
be some. I, of course, care very much about my dog. He's important as a

pet, a friend, a family member and a counselor. I feel bad that I
cannot help him to the extent that my vet thinks I should, but I feel
truly trapped right now when it comes to money.

If you can comment on subbing the brandname doggy meds with other
people meds, offer brands of glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, tell
me where I could get really cheap vet care, other suggestions, anything

-- I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Molly O Chamberlain

x-posted to alt.med.veterinary

Old November 29th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 29 Nov 2005 13:44:30 -0800, , clicked
their heels and said:

I'm a poor college student at the University of Minnesota

Then why oh why do you own a dog? I'm sorry - I will never get this -
taking on responsibility for a living thing that you (generic you, but
you in this case as well) can't provide for.

I'm looking for cheaper alternatives for Rimadyl and Glycoflex.

I've heard that (buffered, non-enteric-coated) aspirin can be a safe
alternative for a puppy pain killer, and carries with it only about the

same risk as when people take it everyday (stomach ulcers, etc), if
taken with food and in the right dosage. I've heard 10-15 mg/lb/12hrs.

It doesn't seem to stay in the canine system long enough to break down
the coating. An alternative would be ascriptin - aspirin with maalox.

As far as finding a glucosamine supplement replacement, I'm wondering
if the (usually much cheaper) human dietary supplements to the same
effect are safe for dogs.

Yes. I buy mine at Walmart or Target. Someone was telling me about a
recent study that glucosamine isn't doing much for dogs except bad
cases, which your dog appears to be.

I'm looking for other professional opinions before I return to the vet
because I felt like she wasn't offering me any options. There have to
be some. I, of course, care very much about my dog. He's important as a
pet, a friend, a family member and a counselor. I feel bad that I
cannot help him to the extent that my vet thinks I should, but I feel
truly trapped right now when it comes to money.

Ask for holiday gifts in the form of $$$ toward your dog's needs.
Find a way. Your dog has only you to count on. Your vet can't offer
options that don't exist. For goodness sake, you don't even know
what's wrong - an x-ray to find out is essential. Eat PB & J and
forgo non-necessities - find a way to pay for it. Do you have parents
or grandparents who may take pity on your poor pooch?

If you can't find a way to provide for your dog, it may be time to
find someone who can, but few would be interested in taking on a dog
with unknown medical issues.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com