Suggestion Please

Old November 30th 05, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Suggestion Please

Hi all,
Let me start off by saying I am completely new to having pets. Now
though I am seriously considering having one.

I live in India in a two bedroom apartment (no balcony). The weather is
hot in summer and warm or cool in winter (not chill or cold).There are
no children in the house. I can assure you the pet will be given a lot
of love and affection. As far as the exercise is concerned, I shall
give it two walks per day and make it play in plenty in the hall when I
am around. I would give it some exercise in the park on weekends.

I would like my dog to have the following qualities:
Does not shed much, does not drool, a lively at home, easy to train,
loves company (since one of us will be there at home always), loves to
be cozy and does not bark too much.

I have collected some information on the folowing breeds. Please let me
know if any of the following breeds or any other breed that strikes
your mind. Can you please let me know the advantages and disadvantages
as well:
Labrador, Golden Retreiver, Pug, Boxer,Corgi, Mi-Ki, Italian Greyhound

I know that its a little too much that I am asking for but could you
please suggest some breed that could the needs?

Old November 30th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

In article .com,
Vikas wrote:
Hi all,
Let me start off by saying I am completely new to having pets. Now
though I am seriously considering having one.

I live in India in a two bedroom apartment (no balcony). The weather is
hot in summer and warm or cool in winter (not chill or cold).There are
no children in the house. I can assure you the pet will be given a lot
of love and affection. As far as the exercise is concerned, I shall
give it two walks per day and make it play in plenty in the hall when I
am around. I would give it some exercise in the park on weekends.

Two walks a day are not enough. Dogs need to go out, eat, go out, then
they can stay in for a while, then go out, eat, go out, and go out again
before bed time. That is a minimum.

I would like my dog to have the following qualities:
Does not shed much, does not drool, a lively at home, easy to train,
loves company (since one of us will be there at home always), loves to
be cozy and does not bark too much.

I have collected some information on the folowing breeds. Please let me
know if any of the following breeds or any other breed that strikes
your mind. Can you please let me know the advantages and disadvantages
as well:
Labrador, Golden Retreiver, Pug, Boxer,Corgi, Mi-Ki, Italian Greyhound

I know that its a little too much that I am asking for but could you
please suggest some breed that could the needs?

Corgis shed like crazy, and tend to bark. I don't think they would fit your
needs. A small dog that doesn't need much exercise could be trained to a
litter box. That might work better for you. A big dog like a lab, golden or
boxer needs LOTS of exercise. More than they can get indoors, unless your
indoors is very large indeed. Corgis also need quite a lot of exercise.

I am not sure a dog is the best pet for your situation.

I am glad you are learning all you can *before* you get a pet. That is
very responsible. Good luck on your search!

Old December 1st 05, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

I would stay away from labs & goldens they both need lots of room and get to
be large in size. Plus they shed a lot infact labs shed all year round it
seems. Not really suitable for what you describe. The grey hounds are a
large dog but are also known to be laid back and couch potatoes. So if you
were to walk the dog regularly and play with it that might be suitable. I
know an older gentleman who has a retired grey hound and he seems to be just
right for his retired lifestyle.

All dogs tend to shed but if you really want to stay away from shedding then
a poodle would be ideal. They shed some but nothing like other dogs do.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old December 2nd 05, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

lets see, its got to tolerate two walks a day with no easy access to a
garden for its self.

not shed,no drool,easy to train and not bark. i would recommend all the
mentioned breeds and more just so long as its the plush variety.

Old December 8th 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Greyhounds can make great apartment dogs! They may not always be
lively but they are sweethearts...they would need to be taken out in a
place where they could run such as a dog park every once in a while but
not nes. every day. They are big couch potatos and love people. We
work with them a lot at the vet I work for and they are so great. If
you do decide to go with this breed and decide to adopt an ex-racer
make sure that the adoption agency is good although that is the same
with any kind of animal. I am sorry I don't know where you live exactly
but a good one in the midwest is Midwest Greyhound Adoption. They make
sure the dogs get the medical treatment they need and then get them out
of the hospital kennel and with people wich is important since
greyhounds can die of depression.

I wish you the best of luck with what ever breed that you decide is the
best for you! And let us know what you decide!!!

Old December 8th 05, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Sorry I missed the part that you were in India sorry for my mistake
there.

Old December 9th 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

I once had a dog named India who was shoy like Ghandi and I had a
funeral for him in Man-hatten. She was a greyhound who did like
apartment living. I got her from a shelter.

Old December 9th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On 8 Dec 2005 15:40:36 -0800, wrote:

Greyhounds can make great apartment dogs! They may not always be
lively but they are sweethearts...they would need to be taken out in a
place where they could run such as a dog park every once in a while but
not nes. every day. They are big couch potatos and love people. We
work with them a lot at the vet I work for and they are so great. If
you do decide to go with this breed and decide to adopt an ex-racer
make sure that the adoption agency is good although that is the same
with any kind of animal. I am sorry I don't know where you live exactly
but a good one in the midwest is Midwest Greyhound Adoption. They make
sure the dogs get the medical treatment they need and then get them out
of the hospital kennel and with people wich is important since
greyhounds can die of depression.

?? Don't know about that.

Most of the above is true; just be aware that greyhounds are bred to
run. The best living arrangement for greyhounds is a home with a
fenced yard. If you live in an apartment, consider perhaps an older
greyhound, such as a retired stud or brood, or a dog that's had an
injury; these dogs are less likely to want to run as often as a
younger dog. I do greyhound rescue and would not place a young (2-4
year-old), healthy dog in an apartment or a home without a fenced
yard. A greyhound that's a little older will do fine in an apartment
or home without a fenced yard, but the owner will need to provide a
minimum of 4 potty walks and one longer exercise walk daily, plus an
opportunity to run once a week or so. A senior greyhound will need
the walks but not the run.

Mustang Sally

Old December 9th 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On 8 Dec 2005 19:13:05 -0800, wrote:

I once had a dog named India who was shoy like Ghandi and I had a
funeral for him in Man-hatten. She was a greyhound who did like
apartment living. I got her from a shelter.

What exactly does "shoy like Ghandi" mean?

I still think you're a troll.

Mustang Sally

Old December 9th 05, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

italian greyhound would be the best out of your list. not only for the
reasons above but the italian grey hound is a lot smaller.
i believe they are smaller than a whippet.