Boston Terrier Ear Problems

Old December 8th 05, 06:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Boston Terrier Ear Problems

Hi: I have an 8 month old Boston Terrier and she has started
scratching her ears really bad. I took her to the vet and the vet did
scrapes for all kinds of ear mites and could not find any. She put
Revolution for dogs on her to see if it would kill a certain mite that
you cannot see under a scope. The dog is still scratching her ears and
I was wondering if anyone had an answer as to what might be causing
this? Her ears are red. She has also given it to her father and we
just can't seem to come up with an answer to this problem. Are there
any known natural cures for itchy ears. I just don't know what to do
as her ears are sore.

Help please.

Martha

Old December 8th 05, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On 7 Dec 2005 21:51:19 -0800, "Martha5649"
wrote:

... Description of itchy poochie deleted...

My Boston had a similar problem when he was young. My "general" vet
couldn't diagnose the condition and recommended that I take him to a
veterinary dermatologist (who know so many vets had specialized!!)

The dermatologist promptly diagnosed it as a fungal infection deep in
the ear canal. He prescribed some drops that I had to put in the
dog's ears twice a day and things cleared up in about a week.

It's been a while, but IIRC, he also mentioned this was somewhat
contagious because the dogs would try to clean each other and spread
the fungus.

HTH,
Bob

Old December 29th 05, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

If the vet has checked for all kids of bugs, did they also check for cheat
grass or ear infection? They have to specifically look for foreign objects.
It also may be a food allergy. What brand and type of food do they eat?
When this started, was there anything new such as laundry detergent, carpet
shampoo, foods, bedding, anything? Bostons have been in our family for
about 85 years. At the moment, the ages are 6yrs, 2.5 yrs, 5 mos. For now,
try rubbing hydrocortisone cream on them.

oups.com...

Old December 29th 05, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't it. Make sure you tell the vet
to check for fungus because some will not. A good vet will do everything
and if that doesn't work they will refer you. Like I said, a good vet.
Good luck Martha.