Australian Shepherd news group?

Old August 6th 03, 05:01 AM
Chuck D.

Default Australian Shepherd news group?

I was subscribed to a group that was specialized on Australian
Shepherds and have lost the name of the group or my ISP had dropped
it. I thought it was rec.pets.dogs.aussies but can't find it. I have
not had any luck just scrolling through the lists of groups as the
list is just too long. Any help in finding it again would be great!

Thanks
Chuck
Old August 6th 03, 05:22 AM
Chuck D.

On 6 Aug 2003 04:09:19 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Chuck said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I thought it was rec.pets.dogs.aussies but can't find it.

alt.pets.dogs.aussies

It's a *very* quiet group that some think is about all
Australian dogs.

So - you have an aussie?

Thanks!!
Yes I have one known as 'the' Fardog! )
His real name is Farley but he appears in stories and images at times
under his 'pen name' as I'm a nature photography and he travels with
us as much as possible. Blue Merle and a real travel nut....barks if
we pass burger places....all Aussie if you know what I mean! LOL!

Old August 6th 03, 05:33 AM
Rocky

Chuck said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Yes I have one known as 'the' Fardog!

That name rings a bell. You've written some good stories.

Pictures of my aussie:
http://rocky-dog.com/

Old August 6th 03, 05:57 AM
Chuck D.

On 6 Aug 2003 04:33:42 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Chuck said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Yes I have one known as 'the' Fardog!

That name rings a bell. You've written some good stories.

Pictures of my aussie:
http://rocky-dog.com/

Nice to cross paths....just checked out Rocky's site and see that he
has loving humans under his control!! LOL!

I posted the following on the Ausie group to see if I could get any
answers and thought I'd post it here also.....any thoughts?
our dog has recently started displaying a real fear of thunder. One
of the ways he responds is to want to go outside and I'm afraid he
wants to run away from it. Until recently he just wanted to be
inside and in a dark corner or similar place. We have had a record
number of storms lately and they seem to be almost nightly so he is
getting a real dose of thunderbumpers.
Any thoughts on this desire to go outside? We have let him
out on a long rope to see where he wants to be and he seems to want to
wander around near wooded areas near the house { I won't let him go
farther}. I've not allowed him out without a leash or rope as we had
a neighbor years ago that had a Border Collie that would run off for
several days after a severe storm.
Would appreciate any thoughts

Chuck

Old August 7th 03, 04:54 AM
Chuck D

On 7 Aug 2003 01:47:48 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Was unable to find the message in Google but will keep my ears open
for any ideas on the subject. I guess it is extra baffling as old Far
is nearly 12 and until just recently had no display of noise fears at
all. Maybe as his hearing is lessening he hears the thunder
differently or was somehow frightened with out our knowledge. We had
our daily storm again this evening and he immediately went to the door
scratching to go out instead of heading for a corner. Might have to
keep him chained until fall does away with the thunderstorms as his
running off into a storm is just not something I want to happen.
Thanks and a hug for your hounds from us,
Chuck

Old August 7th 03, 05:15 AM
Jo Wolf

Chuck, I have an almost-11 yo Border Terrier with a fear of
thunderstorms. I got no where with regular sound desensitization
routines....
Last year, I read about the anxietywrap concept
http://www.anxietywrap.com and rather than order their jacket
immediately, I have been using elastic bandages or self-adhesive elastic
bandages. I wrap from just in front of the rear legs to right behind
the shoulders/elbows, around the orso, with moderate pressure.

Even if the storm is right overhead by the time I get him wrapped up, he
calms quickly. Often, he stretches out on his side and takes a nap!!!!

I am Not claiming that this is the ultimate solution. I am only saying
that it has worked for my dog. I'm ordering the jacket simply because
it's easier to use than the wrapping... I've been told that not all
dogs respond immediately, with the first use of wrapping, but that it
takes several times.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 7th 03, 05:19 AM
Rocky

said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Was unable to find the message in Google but will keep my
ears open for any ideas on the subject. I guess it is
extra baffling as old Far is nearly 12 and until just
recently had no display of noise fears at all. Maybe as
his hearing is lessening he hears the thunder differently
or was somehow frightened with out our knowledge.

Sounds like my old girl. Not like my post was a breakthrough on
the subject, but try this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I11322485

Old August 7th 03, 03:47 PM
Chuck D@ thanks.com

Thanks for the ideas!

Last night after the nearby lightning part of the seemingly nightly
storm, but before the nearby rumbling stopped, I let old Far out on a
long leash and watched.....he stood in the rain and ate grass.
I believe he must get acid/cramps/upset ?
I'll try the 'oh boy it's going to storm - with biscuit
rewards' approach first and if that doesn't work maybe the anxiety
wrap thing could help.

Thanks!

Old August 7th 03, 04:06 PM
montana

Chuck D@ thanks.com wrote:

Thanks for the ideas!

Last night after the nearby lightning part of the seemingly nightly
storm, but before the nearby rumbling stopped, I let old Far out on a
long leash and watched.....he stood in the rain and ate grass.
I believe he must get acid/cramps/upset ?
I'll try the 'oh boy it's going to storm - with biscuit
rewards' approach first and if that doesn't work maybe the anxiety
wrap thing could help.

Thanks!

We give our thunder phobe a Benadryl and it has made a huge difference.
She still wants to eat grass to settle her panicked stomach and she
still trembles and drools when the thunder is particularly bad, but she
is no longer destructive or out of control. We found that using the
calming drug and an approach like Matt's helped the problem to the point
where it is quite manageable.
Old August 7th 03, 11:43 PM
Chuck D

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:06:25 -0400, montana
wrote:

We give our thunder phobe a Benadryl and it has made a huge difference.
She still wants to eat grass to settle her panicked stomach and she
still trembles and drools when the thunder is particularly bad, but she
is no longer destructive or out of control. We found that using the
calming drug and an approach like Matt's helped the problem to the point
where it is quite manageable.

This might be a good approach....any idea how long it takes for the
Benadryl to 'calm' nerves. Our problem is that we are having record
rain and thunderstorms. The storms seem to be 15 minutes from the
start on the weather channel to hitting us and this isn't much time to
prepare. We have had 5 years of severe drought so the rain is
nice....but thunderstorms everynight....not to much fun!

Thanks