Follow up on Canidae

Old December 20th 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Follow up on Canidae

I had an email response from Canidae this am. That was quick since I
only sent the question last night. The answer was that they have not
changed the formula and that they have never done feeding trials.
Something about exceeding industry standards and not testing on living
animals. That attitude irks me since that makes my dogs their guinea
pigs. I think I'm going to have to start looking for another food.
Right now I'm looking into Wellness and Eukanuba.

Beth

Old December 20th 05, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
ups.com...
I had an email response from Canidae this am. That was quick since I
only sent the question last night. The answer was that they have not
changed the formula and that they have never done feeding trials.
Something about exceeding industry standards and not testing on living
animals. That attitude irks me since that makes my dogs their guinea
pigs. I think I'm going to have to start looking for another food.
Right now I'm looking into Wellness and Eukanuba.

Beth

Well, as I mentioned to you Beth my Berner is not too fond of the food
although she looks fabulous on it except for the dry skin. She is nearing
the end of the large bag and I have been tossing it around in my head to try
her on something else. Perhaps it's time I started to investigate again :-}.
Thanks for the update
Sue

Old December 21st 05, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:38:50 -0500, "erik luyendyk"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had an email response from Canidae this am. That was quick since I
only sent the question last night. The answer was that they have not
changed the formula and that they have never done feeding trials.
Something about exceeding industry standards and not testing on living
animals. That attitude irks me since that makes my dogs their guinea
pigs. I think I'm going to have to start looking for another food.
Right now I'm looking into Wellness and Eukanuba.

On the other hand, at least they don't keep bunches of dogs living in
kennels to test their food.

Mustang Sally

Old December 21st 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

sighthounds & siberians wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:38:50 -0500, "erik luyendyk"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I had an email response from Canidae this am. That was quick since I
only sent the question last night. The answer was that they have not
changed the formula and that they have never done feeding trials.
Something about exceeding industry standards and not testing on living
animals. That attitude irks me since that makes my dogs their guinea
pigs. I think I'm going to have to start looking for another food.
Right now I'm looking into Wellness and Eukanuba.

On the other hand, at least they don't keep bunches of dogs living in
kennels to test their food.

Mustang Sally

If the dogs are well cared for it doesn't bother me that a dog food
company keeps a kennel so that they can do feeding tests. For what
foods like Canidae and Wellness charge the least they could do is some
tests, not just formulating to meet or exceed the industry standards.

Beth

Old December 21st 05, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 21 Dec 2005 11:28:14 -0800, "
wrote:

sighthounds & siberians wrote:
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:38:50 -0500, "erik luyendyk"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I dunno. They don't do feeding trials on, for example, baby food, do
they? Dog food manufacturers should know what the basics are by this
time. It doesn't bother me in the least that they don't do feeding
trials but "just" exceed industry standards.

Mustang Sally

Old December 21st 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

on 2005-12-21 at 14:33 wrote:

I dunno. They don't do feeding trials on, for example, baby
food, do they? Dog food manufacturers should know what the
basics are by this time. It doesn't bother me in the least
that they don't do feeding trials but "just" exceed industry
standards.

that's pretty much how i feel about it. AAFCO feeding trials
are for such a short duration (6 months, isn't it?) that it
really doesn't tell you much beyond the fact that the food
isn't immediately deadly.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
Old December 21st 05, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

shelly wrote:
on 2005-12-21 at 14:33 wrote:

I dunno. They don't do feeding trials on, for example, baby
food, do they? Dog food manufacturers should know what the
basics are by this time. It doesn't bother me in the least
that they don't do feeding trials but "just" exceed industry
standards.

that's pretty much how i feel about it. AAFCO feeding trials
are for such a short duration (6 months, isn't it?) that it
really doesn't tell you much beyond the fact that the food
isn't immediately deadly.

http://www.cat-sidh.net
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/

Some of the companies that are doing the feeding trials, such as Iams
and Purina are doing them for a minimum of 4 years.
Maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if the Canidae rep hadn't taken
such a holier than thou attitude about the question of feeding trials.
Since the only feeding trials done when I was feeding raw were my own i
suppose I'm just having some conflict about paying top dollar for
packaged dog food that isn't proven on living dogs. Sort of like those
vet students that refuse to cut on real animals. I don't want their
first hands experience to be on my pets and if that seems hypocritical
so be it.

Beth

Old December 21st 05, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote in message
oups.com...

erik luyendyk wrote:

Well, as I mentioned to you Beth my Berner is not too fond of the food
although she looks fabulous on it except for the dry skin. She is

nearing
the end of the large bag and I have been tossing it around in my head to

try
her on something else. Perhaps it's time I started to investigate again

:-}.
Thanks for the update
Sue

Sue,
I stopped yesterday at my local petstore and looked at dog food. I'll
probably switch to Biljac. If my mom-n-pop store carried Proplan that
would be in the running too. Wellness is another brand that doesn't do
feeding trials. Out of the food that the store carries, Bil-jac and
Chicken Soup fit what I want in a dog food. Eukanuba was up there too.

I have to go to Petsmart tonight to buy the cats' their food. I'll
look while I'm there to see what they have, though I really don't like
to shop at Petsmart if I can support my local store.

Beth

Beth..........one of the foods I had a sample bag of and tried on my Berner
was called Natural Choice. She held some interest in it so I think I will
look into that one again. All my other dogs were fed Proplan but, the owner
of the feed store I go to claimed they had too many "fillers" in their food
and that there were better choices out there these days. Personally I think
there are wayyyyy too many choices in the feed department these days. I was
without a dog for only 2 years and when I got the current dog and went
looking for feed, well I was certainly surprised and slightly overwhelmed
sigh. I'm sure we will get it sorted out though.
Sue

Old December 21st 05, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
On the other hand, at least they don't keep bunches of dogs living in
kennels to test their food.

.......Feeding trials last 6 months and can be conducted with under 10 dogs.
This gives you confidence? ;-)

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 22nd 05, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

buglady wrote:
......Feeding trials last 6 months and can be conducted with under 10 dogs.
This gives you confidence? ;-)

buglady
take out the dog before replying

One of the things I found out at a CE convention was that certain
companies are doing longer feeding trials and on various breeds of
dogs. In fact, the veterinarians that worked for those companies got
rightously ticked when the raw feeders (myself amongst them) were
questioning dog food company practices.
That being said, Canidae has been on the market for 8 years, this is
from their rep. When I stack up 8 years against the foods that have
been out for generations of dogs lives, well, I honestly don't know
what to do about the food. If the boys hadn't suddenly gotten itchy on
the canidae I would have never started looking at this whole mess.

Beth

changes in canidae? [email protected] Dog health 6 December 18th 05 05:56 PM
changes in canidae? erik luyendyk Dog health 0 December 18th 05 12:54 AM
Canidae and Wellness Rob Dog health 5 February 28th 05 10:50 PM
Potty Training Shichon gats Dog behavior 30 February 3rd 05 10:03 PM
Follow up on my old Dog's health Bob Falooley Dog health 6 November 17th 03 11:59 PM