Dog will not come when called, HELP!

Old January 7th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Dog will not come when called, HELP!

Inside the house or the fenced in yard my 2 year old Rat Terrier,
Buddy, is a great little dog. He minds pretty well and comes when
called. If he gets out without a leash, like yesterday when I bumped
the gate and it opened a little, he WILL NOT come to me but rather
takes off down the street exploring. I am scared to death he will dart
out into traffic and get hit. He will try to squeeze out the door if I
am not VERY careful when exiting to get the mail etc. How can I get him

to mind? When I retrieve him I do not hit him or punish him because I
do not want him to be afraid to come to me but I sure get mad when I
have to chase him down the sidewalk as he ignores me.
Phyloe

Old January 7th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

You need to get the two of you into an obedience class.

It's absolutely essential that when he gets loose that he stops when told to
and returns when called it will save his life. They will show you the
proper way to teach him this in class. Another thing you should teach him
is that he is not allowed to exit the house, exit the car, or go off the
porch without your permission. It's one of the first things I teach my
dogs. Since we go in the car alot and the dogs are always with us it's one
less thing I have to worry about. I know if I stop and open the door that
they will stay put till I tell them it's ok to exit.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old January 8th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

spots right get to a good class as its you who needs to learn to handle
him. and by handle i mean 'command' or 'control' which of course are
terms i hate.

my dogs have to sit to go out and sit to come in,wait to go through an
indoors door and sit and wait on exit in entrance to the car.
i even do it with food and leads,sit and wait before food and sit to
have the leads on and off.

rules and order make for happier dogs as they know whats expected of
them.