Scared pup needs help quick!

Old January 10th 06, 09:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Scared pup needs help quick!

I recently agreed to foster a puppy that had been found behind a
construction site. He's about 4 months old but has had VERY little
interaction with humans. His mom was a feral dog that had taken up
residence in the woods behind the area. Not to mention, he only has
one eye. He's had a rough start.
He's very wary of people, however he loves my dogs and they get along
great. But he wont eat, or even MOVE when my husband or myself are
within eyesight. He cowers whenever we approach him and will only let
you pick him up if he's cornered. He doesn't bark or cry, or nip, or
lick, and i have yet to see him unglue his tail from between his legs.
He just doesn't do anything a puppy should do.
I just need some information on how i should go about socializing him
and getting him to trust people. We've spent every spare second with
him-even just sitting near him while watching tv, and he still runs for
a place to hide. I don't want to overdo it and have him scared of
everything forever. Are there any good training techniques, or
anything at all i could try? Please help!

Old January 10th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

hi heather.
i took my youngest dalmatian on at 4 months old and she had been left
out on the streets.
take one day at a time,do you have a crate?? a quiet spot even
,anywhere that he can go, i know of a jrt that took refuge under the
table. the point being that anywhere he feels not so freaked out is
fine and no more cornering him! you will raise his anxiety further.
now in the evening i have all the dogs and kids in the living room with
me,when ive a dog in thats less confident i sit on the floor,i dont
look at them i watch tv.
in my pocket i keep small treats and my own dogs are over like a shot
i ask my own dogs to lie quietly ~ usually in 'dead dog' and feed
the odd treat quietly and calmly,the new dog will of course be aware of
this and no doubt watching like a hawk

in time he will come over even if it takes a few nights when he does
start coming i offer a treat but make no effort at contact i leave it
to the dog to decide the pace but biuld up interaction. in the day keep
everything calm and if he cant be with you thats fine let him just sit
and watch,do things with your other dogs like grooming/training. let
him see your other dogs think you are ok and that they are not afraid
of you.

he will bring his tail higher when hes happier and more relaxed.
everyting is alien to him right now. imagine youreself in his shoes.
all the best,dg.

Old January 10th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

There is no quick fix for this it's just going to take time. It may be
months it could be years until he feels he can trust you. Just take it slow
and easy.

Give him someplace of his own a kennel or corner that is out of the way and
don't invade it. He needs a safe place for him to retreat. Try winning him
slowly with bits of food treats. Sit calmly on the floor watching TV or
reading and let him come to you and reward him with food and a calm voice.

I have a stray now that was obviously beaten and is very nervous but he's
highly food motivated so we work on the reward system right now. When he
plays he gets a good boy and a bone and lots a petting but never on his head
since he flinches at that, when he goes out to pee he gets a dog bone, When
he actually does sit still for a while he gets a belly rub.

He's realizing it's nice sleeping inside and having food every day and is
excited to come in the house now where he was scared at first. Slowly he's
coming around but I know it's going to be the better part of a year before
he really trust us so I'm not pushing him. It's all on his good old time
schedule. He's had a miserable life before me and I intend to see that the
rest of it's much better.

Celeste

oups.com...