Help with a needy, recently rescued dog

Old January 17th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Help with a needy, recently rescued dog

I just adopted a 14 month old mixed dog. She is fantastic, except she NEVER
stops licking me or my other dog and doesn't understand the concept of
giving either of us any space, ever. I understand she has issues from
living on the street and she's probably just grateful, but it's gotten out
of control. Any suggestions for how I can stop this behavior without
reprimanding her and scaring her? She's still very easily frightened....
Please help!

Old January 17th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

This sounds very much like an obsesive compulsive disorder. Have you talked
to your vet about medicaitions to help ease her stress? I know some are
going to yell don't medicate but in some instances it does some good.

Celeste

lkaboutpets.com...

Old January 18th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:01:16 -0500, "mateosmama"
wrote:

I just adopted a 14 month old mixed dog. She is fantastic, except she NEVER
stops licking me or my other dog and doesn't understand the concept of
giving either of us any space, ever. I understand she has issues from
living on the street and she's probably just grateful, but it's gotten out
of control. Any suggestions for how I can stop this behavior without
reprimanding her and scaring her? She's still very easily frightened....
Please help!

I agree with Celeste; it does sounds very much like an obsessive compulsive disorder.
However, I am not convinced, and not in favor of medication yet. I wonder if your dog also
licks strangers (visitors) who come to your house. She would have no allegiance to them
(and would probably be afraid of them); so, any licking would not be gratitude, submission
or anything like that, but might well indicate OCD.

To combat the licking, I'd try some bitter apple spray. The space invasion is most likely
due to insecurity. Being under foot makes most folks tense. I think your dog probably
senses that, but doesn't realize she is the cause.

In order to help her see that you can leave the room, and she will remain safe, And that
you will even return (!), I'd anchor her, leashed, to something in the room; then go about
your business. Return to her, with decreasing frequency, for a pat and a soothing word. An
idea I like even better is to secure her in the next room via a child protection gate of
some sort. That way, you dog is free, but can see that you are still present. Give her
bits of attention. She will figure out that you might disappear, but you will always
reappear.

She needs a lot of confidence building. I think the best way to start is with simple
walks. Some of the shelter dogs start out walking so close that I have to be careful not
to stumble over them. They soon realize that the leash isn't such a horrible thing, I'm
not going to harm them, and that walking is fun.

School - Four walls with tomorrow inside.