Max has a Herniated Disc

Old January 25th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Max has a Herniated Disc

Hi Folks,

I have not posted to this list in a long time.

It looks like Max has a herniated disc in the classic spot
between the last thoracic vertebrae and the first lumbar
vertebrae.

He is taking meds and is behaving quite
normally but because I have several
herniated discs myself, I wonder
how I can provide Max with exercise
without twisting his spine.

Long walks? This
will be fine once the weather clears.
For now it is cold and damp here in
Milwaukee. (Prior to this diagnosis,
I would have him, he is just 18 lbs,
play fetch at home, jumping over
pillows, etc.)

Another possibility is filling the
bathtub with water for some low
impact swimming. Problem, he
does not like water.

For now, I have him playing
"find the spot." I have trained
him to keep moving in a direction
when a tone is on and to
move in other directions when
the tone is off. This generates
plenty of walking around, and
food scraping, and only
an occasional jump up on
say, the couch, cuz he
thinks "this is the spot!"

Thanks for your ideas,

--Marshall

PS: For those who don't know: Max is an 8-year-old Havanese.

Old January 25th 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
It looks like Max has a herniated disc in the classic spot
between the last thoracic vertebrae and the first lumbar
vertebrae.

I wonder
how I can provide Max with exercise
without twisting his spine.

Long walks

.........Sorry about Max's troubles. I thought he didn't like the great
outdoors?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 28th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . net "buglady" writes:

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
It looks like Max has a herniated disc in the classic spot
between the last thoracic vertebrae and the first lumbar
vertebrae.

I wonder
how I can provide Max with exercise
without twisting his spine.

Long walks

........Sorry about Max's troubles. I thought he didn't like the great
outdoors?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I think this is the consequence of his jumping off a high
bed i.e., the great indoors! :-(

--Marshall
Old January 28th 06, 11:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
I think this is the consequence of his jumping off a high
bed i.e., the great indoors! :-(

.........they have ramps you can buy just for this situation - Foster &
Smith.

........Personally I'd go to a vet chiropractor and see what they have to
say.

Old January 28th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

.......Personally I'd go to a vet chiropractor and see what they have to
say.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I was thinking of this. He seems perfectly alright today and he is
off his meds.

When he was accute, flexing his spine produced a pain-filled yelp.

I wonder if putting his spine in extension would help. I can
easily conditioned him to do this. He extends his back whenever
he gets up from a nap.

--Marshall
Old January 29th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
I wonder if putting his spine in extension would help. I can
easily conditioned him to do this. He extends his back whenever
he gets up from a nap.

..........I don't think I'd do manipulation of his spine unless I knew it was
OK. You can do some massage of the muscles on either side of the spine to
keep them from tightening up.