Phenobarbital

Old February 11th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Phenobarbital

I recently put my dog back on Phenobarbital for his seizures. He is
constantly whinning and hungry....anyone have any suggestions to help
him????

Old February 11th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"shesand" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I recently put my dog back on Phenobarbital for his
seizures. He is constantly whinning and hungry....anyone
have any suggestions to help him????

Welcome to the club!

What kind of dog, what do you feed, what kind of treats does he
like, is he a good weight, &ct.

Old February 12th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I have a Chihuahua. He's about 6 years old now. I feed him and my
other Chihuahua Pedigree Adult Small Crunchy food. When I took Pedro
off the Pheno, I was feeding him Pedigree, and he didn't have a seizure
for a long time, then about a week ago, he had a cluster of them. So,
the vet wanted to put him back on it and now he's whining-which he
didn't do before- and now he's constantly hungry. I'm looking to find
something that I could give him for snacks or something that would help
him lose the weight and tide him over until I feed him again.....
any tips????

Old February 12th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I forgot to add that this last visit, the vet said he has a heart
murmur.

Old February 12th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"shesand" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I have a Chihuahua. He's about 6 years old now. I feed him
and my other Chihuahua Pedigree Adult Small Crunchy food.
When I took Pedro off the Pheno, I was feeding him
Pedigree, and he didn't have a seizure for a long time,
then about a week ago, he had a cluster of them. So, the
vet wanted to put him back on it and now he's whining-which
he didn't do before- and now he's constantly hungry. I'm
looking to find something that I could give him for snacks
or something that would help him lose the weight and tide
him over until I feed him again..... any tips????

I know you didn't ask, but ask your vet about potassium bromide
(KBr). It often works better than phenobarbital (PB) in cluster
situations. Usually it's used in conjunction with other drugs.

Does your dog like vegetables? My dogs love carrots and
mushroom stems, and pretty well anything else they've seen me
eat. Part of the control I have over Rocky's epilepsy comes
from strict attention to his diet - there are plenty of good
quality treats available (I can't recommend any brands because
they're ususally local; check your non-chain pet suppply
stores). One I like that's fairly available is Mother Hubbards
"couch potato" biscuits, though I really do prefer some of the
locally made treats.

Something else to consider - a really good stinky treat goes a
long way. A teeny bit of aged cheese or dried liver goes a long
way with most dogs. It's not the size of the treat size-wise,
but smell-wise.

Like your Chi, Rocky is also constantly hungry as a result of
the drugs. He's in very good shape, so usually I just ignore
his big brown eyes.

Old February 12th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"shesand" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I forgot to add that this last visit, the vet said he has a
heart murmur.

Welcome to that club, too. Rocky, my epileptic dog, also has a
low level heart murmur.

Old February 12th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

well, Pedro doesn't like carrots, we've tried giving it to him and he
won't eat it. I think I'm go and try and find some "snacks" for him.
He's driving me crazy with whining. Every time someone gets up to go to
the kitchen, he runs over there thinking we are getting something for
him....LOL
My dog is in decent shape, not as good as he probably should be. He
does have a level 3 murmur which I guess is a low level also. I've
started to play with him about 10 mins really hard every day so maybe
that will help him lose some weight.
Thanks for your tips

Old March 4th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message
"shesand" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I forgot to add that this last visit, the vet said he has a
heart murmur.

Welcome to that club, too. Rocky, my epileptic dog, also has a
low level heart murmur.

Sorry to hear about that. Hope he does well.

Old March 6th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

he is doing much better now. Thank you so much!