Options for adopting out my dog.

Old July 12th 03, 05:01 PM
Chris C.

Default Options for adopting out my dog.

I have a mixed breed dog, about 5 years old. He has been a wonderful dog
for us, but has shown several instances of aggression - some unprovoked. He
does not respond well to the vet, or being caged. We have a new baby
(common problem here I imagine) and we no longer feel comfortable keeping
him. It pains us to get rid of him, but it needs to be done.

Question is - anybody know of anywhere in the Sacramento, CA area that may
take dogs with slight aggression problems? Generally he has been a very
good dog, loves to play frisbee, swim, go for walks, etc... the unfortunate
thing is, he really doesn't like to be around other people besides us, and a
few of our friends - I'm not sure about his adjustment.

Thanks for any information.

Old July 12th 03, 05:26 PM
Emily Carroll

I have a mixed breed dog, about 5 years old. He has been a wonderful dog
for us, but has shown several instances of aggression - some unprovoked.

He
does not respond well to the vet, or being caged. We have a new baby
(common problem here I imagine) and we no longer feel comfortable keeping
him. It pains us to get rid of him, but it needs to be done.

If you are unwilling to deal with his aggression problems, the most
responsible thing you can do for him is euthanize him.

Passing him on to someone else does not reduce your liability for his
problems. Most rescue groups won't touch a dog that has known aggression
problems as they will lose their liability insurance, be sued, and go under.
Doing that to a group that is dedicated to saving lives is a disservice and,
IMO, extremely selfish.

Furthermore, how will you feel if the new home isn't even as responsible as
yours, and a child gets hurt or permanantly scarred?

Perhaps there are people here who can help you work through his aggression,
as most aggression issues revolve around a spoiled dog that hasn't learned
his place in the universe and thinks he's the sole ruler of all.

~Emily

---

Old July 12th 03, 11:50 PM
Lgw1060

Furthermore, how will you feel if the new home isn't even as responsible as
yours, and a child gets hurt or permanantly scarred?

OK...maybe I'm selfish, but my initial reaction to this is *not* about the one
who gets bit (sorry parents), but the responsibility- toward your dog- that a
new owner may/may not take once he/she has him. How do you know for sure that
when your dog does snap at someone the new owner won't beat the $%^@ out of
him? Or dump him on a country road?
Placing a dog yourself is definately NOT the way to go. Do as the last poster
suggested. Start making phone calls. One of two things will happen. Either you
will find someone who is willing to work with your dog, or should the day come
that you need to euthanize, you can take comfort in knowing that you *did* do
absolutely everything in your power to re-home him or correct his behavior.
Good luck!
Lisa

Old July 13th 03, 03:56 AM
Chris C.

I understand how training *might* help - but when a dog has been
aggressive - with no provication (and some with provication) - no matter how
much training he goes thru, I'm still going to be nervous that something
could happen at any time.... do you know of any trainer who would absolutly
guarentee that a dog would never show any agression ever again? I don't
think they can do that.

"Mark/Shell" wrote in message

"Lgw1060" wrote in message
OK...maybe I'm selfish, but my initial reaction to this is *not* about

the
one
who gets bit (sorry parents), but the responsibility- toward your dog-

that a
new owner may/may not take once he/she has him. How do you know for sure

that
when your dog does snap at someone the new owner won't beat the $%^@ out

of
him? Or dump him on a country road?

I agree with this, you took on the dog and I feel it is your

responsibility
to sort out any problems. Maybe people will disagree with me here but if
your kids have major problems when they become teenagers for example would
you consider dumping them or euthanizing them???? I really feel that if
there is nothing medically wrong (I assume this has been ruled out by vet)
with your dog then I am sure proper training by a behavourist would sort
this out. Please consider giving this a try before euthanizing the dog.

Good luck

Shell