good "family dog" recommendation

Old July 29th 03, 02:58 AM
THW

Default good "family dog" recommendation

We are looking to adopt a 2-4 year old medium sized dog from a rescue group.
Most important characteristic we are looking for is a dog that gets along
great with kids, with no aggression whatsoever.

Some folks I know are suggesting we consider English Setters, English
Springer spaniels and Brittany spaniels. As sporting dogs, they have a
reputation of getting along great with everyone. Others are saying that
these dogs are "high energy", need tons of exercise, are always "on", etc.
Are either of these breeds more easy-going than the other? We would like a
"mellow" dog...one that is playful but can calm down when in the house and
not always be looking for someone to play with it. I should also mention
that the dog will be alone for about 6 hours/day. We live on an acre (with
an invisible fence) so there is room for exercising once we are home.

I was wondering if anyone would like to shed some light on the situation.
Thanks!

Old July 29th 03, 03:06 AM
crosem

you might consider a standard poodle, they are quite easy going and very
smart. my old buddy would let a baby ride on his back (with an adult
holding most of the baby's weight) and not even turn around, let alone show
any aggression

Old July 29th 03, 03:06 AM
crosem

Old July 29th 03, 03:06 AM
crosem

Old July 29th 03, 03:31 AM
Tara O.

I'd recommend choosing the breed you feel most suits your lifestyle, likes
and energy level first....just based on research info. Since you intend to
adopt from a rescue, and you intend to adopt an adult dog, your worries
about high-energy and exercise needs are fairly unnecessary. Most adult
dogs, of most any breed, mellow out with age. They become more laid back
indoors even if they are still high-energy outdoors. Most adults are
already trained with house manners and some basic obedience. Any good
rescue can tell you exactly which of their dogs best meets your needs and
wants. IOW, once you've established which breed you like most, then leave
the rest up to the rescue in terms of guiding you to the one who has the
energy and characteristics you like. If none of the breeds you've mentioned
really strike you as the best breed for you then consider some others. Labs
are known as great family pets generally with no aggression issues at all.
Boxers are the same although they can sometimes be aggressive towards other
dogs (this is something a rescue can tell you about any particular dog).

--
Tara

Old July 29th 03, 03:37 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:58:39
-0400, "THW" did speak the following bit of wisdom:

Are either of these breeds more easy-going than the other? We would like a
"mellow" dog...one that is playful but can calm down when in the house and
not always be looking for someone to play with it. I should also mention
that the dog will be alone for about 6 hours/day.

Out of the breeds you mentioned, an older (3-4 years plus) bench
English Setter would probably fill your bill almost perfectly... if
the breed is right for you. Three or four years of age is still
relatively young, but you're well on your way past the puppy
craziness. Older English still have a lot of get up and go and will be
ready to go for walks or play catch or whatever the family likes to
so. But most of them are also *VERY* willing to be couch potatoes or
bed ornaments.

Some things to think about if you're considering life with an ES...
English setters are longhaired dogs, so they will need grooming at
least once a week (or more) to keep the feathering tidy. They also
benefit from professional grooming every couple of months to neaten
and trim the head, ears and neck and underneath the tail. You can
learn to do the feet yourself with blunt scissors. Some people choose
to have their groomers clipper the whole dog in a pet Cocker or
Springer trim. It all depends on your individual dog and how much
coat, and the type of coat, they carry. They shed! And the bench dogs
(probably more than straight field-line dogs) generally have more flew
-- the pendulous lips that hang down. Therefore, they may tend to
drool. Some are more dry-mouthed than others. But all of them will
drool at some time or the other, especially if there is food about!
Some folks (like my mom) absolutely can't handle this! So that is
definitely something to think about. If the thought of flying drool
bothers you, this might not your breed.

What else? Hmmmm..... Some of them love the sound of their own voices
and can become barkers, but that shouldn't be a problem if you don't
leave them alone in the yard. In general, a bored dog is a noisy
and/or destructive dog. English setters tend to make lousy kennel or
yard dogs because they crave their family and want to be with you.
Many of them will insist on following you from room to room. Contrary
to popular belief, they *can* be protective of their family when the
situation warrants. They are really tuned into you and know when
you're scared or worried and they'll react to that. Usually though,
they are friendly, happy, tail-wagging-all-the-time (so watch out for
breakable things on low tables!), outgoing family dogs who make great
canine pals for children. They're not for everyone, but for those of
us who love them, there ain't nothin' better than life with a setter!

*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"