Bad knees and/or bad vet? (long)

Old August 27th 03, 10:55 AM
buglady

Default Bad knees and/or bad vet? (long)

"ophinea" wrote in message
The old vet's policy is to give you a list of the
procedures performed and the date they were performed on but absolutely no
detail. He told the new vet that I would not get detailed records without
taking him to court.

Taking the offending vet to court is a possibility, but it is my
understanding that winning a legal case involving a pet is very difficult

in
Ohio and with the cost of the operations, I have even less of a clue where

would find additional money for lawyers fees if the case was lost.

..........AFAIK he cannot refuse to give you copies of the records. He can
charge you for it, but he cannot keep them from you. These laws probably
vary state to state, but there should be some sort of vet med board that
oversees vets in your state. I'd post this in alt.med.veterinary and also
go to Google, click on Groups and check the archives there - you might want
to read the thread Honest Mistake or Malpractice. One person mentions that
in California a vet has to comply with a request for records within 2 weeks
and cannot charge more than 25 Cents a page.

Here's the Ohio Vet Med Board which regulates vets in your state - a good
place to start: http://www.state.oh.us/ovmlb/ I'd give them a call if
you can't find anything online. In fact since I found a note that said many
rules have been updated, I'd definitely call them and ask if you need a
court order to get records. I wouldn't name names, just tell them that this
vet told you that. The Board meets once a month, the next one is Sept 10 -
read some of the minutes of their meetings - they definitely deal with
complaints: http://www.state.oh.us/ovmlb/board.htm and if investigation
is needed the state does it.

Here's a link to article 4741-1-21 which covers record keeping for a
veterinarian:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing...ates&fn=main-h.
htm&cp=OAC

There's also a complaint form you can fill out - click on Consumers link.

Good luck, hope you get both satisfaction and your pup gets some relief.

buglady
take out the dog before replying