hip dysplacia and ester-c

Old October 25th 06, 12:19 PM
tntcl125 tntcl125 is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation hip dysplacia and ester-c

Does Anyone Have Any Success Stories With Dip Dysplacia And Ester C As The Fix
Old October 25th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Teresa

Default hip dysplacia and ester-c

--
tntcl125

Hip Dysplacia- hello there
i have had a dog with hip dysplacia. she was a bull mastiff. we found
the problem when she was about 5 months old. we never put her on
medication even though my vet recommanded it. she lived to about 9
years without any major problems. i was working at the vets at the
time and even though i used to regulary consult patients (animals)
with this problem i never 'made' the owners put their animals on meds.
what else would you like to know about this ........what breed is your
dog? age? sex? has he/she been desexed??

Old October 26th 06, 11:35 AM
tntcl125 tntcl125 is offline
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa
tntcl125 wrote:
Does Anyone Have Any Success Stories With Dip Dysplacia And Ester C As
The Fix

--
tntcl125

Hip Dysplacia- hello there
i have had a dog with hip dysplacia. she was a bull mastiff. we found
the problem when she was about 5 months old. we never put her on
medication even though my vet recommanded it. she lived to about 9
years without any major problems. i was working at the vets at the
time and even though i used to regulary consult patients (animals)
with this problem i never 'made' the owners put their animals on meds.
what else would you like to know about this ........what breed is your
dog? age? sex? has he/she been desexed??

HELLO,
MY VET TOLD ME EITHER A 6,000.00 HIPREPLACEMENT R PUT HIM DOWN. HE IS A 10 MONTH OLD LAB.HIS PARENTS WERE HIP CERTIFIED. IVE BEEN READING A MULTITUDE OF INFO ON THE WEB AND FOUND THAT ALOT OF THIS DIOREDER SEEMS TO COME FROM LACK OF VITAMIN C. NONE OF THE SIBLINGS SHO ANY SIGNS. THE DIFFERANCE WITH HIM IS HE GREW TREMONDOUSLY OVER NIGHT IT SEEMS. I HAVE DECIDED TO TRY THE ESTER-C AND I DONT KNOW IF IT IS JUST ME BUT IT SEEMS TO HAVE MADE A DIFFERANCE, EVERYDAY. I ASKED MY VET IF IT WAS POSSIBLE THAT HIS BONES HAVE GROWN FASTER THAN HIS JOINTS, HE SAID I WAS IN DENIAL. I THINK I WILL GET ANOTHER OPINION AND GET A NEW VET. HE IS A WONDERFULL DOG AND IS VERY SMART AND OBEDIANT. HE Had no limp JUST LOOKED LIKE HE WOULD WALK FUNNY.HE NEVER CRIED ALWAYS RETRIEVED , RAN PLAYED ETC. I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO PUT HIM DOWN BUT I ALSO DONT WANT HIM TO HURT..
Old October 26th 06, 11:37 AM
tntcl125 tntcl125 is offline
Junior Member

Question

[quote=tntcl125]HELLO,
MY VET TOLD ME EITHER A 6,000.00 HIPREPLACEMENT R PUT HIM DOWN. HE IS A 10 MONTH OLD LAB.HIS PARENTS WERE HIP CERTIFIED. IVE BEEN READING A MULTITUDE OF INFO ON THE WEB AND FOUND THAT ALOT OF THIS DIOREDER SEEMS TO COME FROM LACK OF VITAMIN C. NONE OF THE SIBLINGS SHO ANY SIGNS. THE DIFFERANCE WITH HIM IS HE GREW TREMONDOUSLY OVER NIGHT IT SEEMS. I HAVE DECIDED TO TRY THE ESTER-C AND I DONT KNOW IF IT IS JUST ME BUT IT SEEMS TO HAVE MADE A DIFFERANCE, EVERYDAY. I ASKED MY VET IF IT WAS POSSIBLE THAT HIS BONES HAVE GROWN FASTER THAN HIS JOINTS, HE SAID I WAS IN DENIAL. I THINK I WILL GET ANOTHER OPINION AND GET A NEW VET. HE IS A WONDERFULL DOG AND IS VERY SMART AND OBEDIANT. HE Had no limp JUST LOOKED LIKE HE WOULD WALK FUNNY.HE NEVER CRIED ALWAYS RETRIEVED , RAN PLAYED ETC. I DONT WANT TO HAVE TO PUT HIM DOWN BUT I ALSO DONT WANT HIM TO HURT..
THEREFOR I AM SEEKING A NEW VET FOR ANOTHER OPINION.
Old October 26th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

tntcl125 wrote:

[...]

You don't say what led to this diagnosis. Is your Lab lame? Does he
look like he's in pain? The official OFA line is that if your dog makes
it to adulthood (10-12 mo I think) without lameness, he'll probably
be clinically sound up to 8-10 years. He may develop arthritis and have
problems later.

I would definitely get a second opinion.

Let me just add, in my experience, Labs can look plenty dysplastic on
an x-ray, but act like nobody told them. I've had vets make dire
predictions
about mine, and they were fine.

Amy Dahl

Old October 27th 06, 01:24 AM
tntcl125 tntcl125 is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Dahl
tntcl125 wrote:

[...]

HELLO AMY
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I DECIDED TO BRING HIM TO THE VET BECAUSE HE KIND WOBBLED AS HE SHOOK HIS TAIL. WE HAVE FOUR LABS ALL OF CHAMPION BLLOD LINE.
SOMETHING JUST DIDNT LOOK RIGHT. THE VET TOOK X-RAYS AND DID TELL ME HE WAS NO EXPERT BUT HE SAW HE HAD SEVERE DYSPLACIA IN BOTH HIPS ACCORDING TO HIM AND THAT IT IS SO SEVERE THAT HE WOULD MAKE A TEXTBOOK CASE FOR HIS AGE AND SEVERITY. I JUST WONDER IF IT IS SO BAD HOW CAN HE DO THE THINGS HE IS DOING. I HAVE STARTED HIM AND MY OTHER DOGS ON ESTER- C AND I DONT KNOW IF IT IS IN MY HEAD BUT I HAVE NOTICED A DIFFERANCE.

TONY
Old October 27th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

tntcl125 wrote:

Amy Dahl Wrote:

HELLO AMY
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I DECIDED TO BRING HIM TO THE VET BECAUSE
HE KIND WOBBLED AS HE SHOOK HIS TAIL. WE HAVE FOUR LABS ALL OF CHAMPION
BLLOD LINE.
SOMETHING JUST DIDNT LOOK RIGHT. THE VET TOOK X-RAYS AND DID TELL ME
HE WAS NO EXPERT BUT HE SAW HE HAD SEVERE DYSPLACIA IN BOTH HIPS
ACCORDING TO HIM AND THAT IT IS SO SEVERE THAT HE WOULD MAKE A TEXTBOOK
CASE FOR HIS AGE AND SEVERITY. I JUST WONDER IF IT IS SO BAD HOW CAN HE
DO THE THINGS HE IS DOING. I HAVE STARTED HIM AND MY OTHER DOGS ON
ESTER- C AND I DONT KNOW IF IT IS IN MY HEAD BUT I HAVE NOTICED A
DIFFERANCE.

Hi Tony. First of all, please don't post in all caps. This is a
text-based medium, and in netiquette parlance, typing in all caps means
you're screaming.

Your vet is not an expert yet he wants $6000 to do surgery? Run, do not
walk, to another vet. General Practice vets are certainly not experts.
You need to send the xrays in to OFA (it only costs $35) and have them
read them and give you a real diagnosis of where you are. Then you can
explore different treatments for your dog. Champion bloodlines mean
nothing by the way. If you give us the dog's registered name or his
parents names, we can find out for you what the hip history is. Or
better yet, look it up yourself--http://www.offa.org.

Dogs are incredibly stoic critters. They can operate with a level of
pain that is incomprehensible to you and me. So it doesn't surprise me
that your puppy can get around, even if his HD is severe.

However, Ester C is not.not.not going to cure your puppy. In fact,
research shows that not only is vitamin C not terribly effective, but
massive doses can be detrimental.

First, get a real diagnosis on your dog. If it IS severe HD, your next
step is to get your dog as thin as possible. You should see ribs. There
are several options, from hip replacement to femoral head excision. You
should explore each carefully. But by far the best source of information
is on the OFA website, www.offa.org. Tons of info there about HD...

Old October 27th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"tntcl125" wrote in message:

SOMETHING JUST DIDNT LOOK RIGHT. THE VET TOOK X-RAYS AND DID TELL ME
HE WAS NO EXPERT BUT HE SAW HE HAD SEVERE DYSPLACIA IN BOTH HIPS

I have a Great Dane with severe bilateral CHD as well. She was diagnosed
when she was a year old. My friend's GSD was diagnosed with the same thing
when he was 6 months old. Neither dog has had surgery. My dog is now 5 1/2
and her dog is now over 8 years old. Both enjoy a good quality of life.

I JUST WONDER IF IT IS SO BAD HOW CAN HE
DO THE THINGS HE IS DOING.

Dogs can be amazingly good at hiding pain. However, having bad hips is not
an automatic death sentence, as your vet seems to imply. In your shoes, I
would take the x-rays and get an ortho consult. Then, I would follow their
recommendations.

I HAVE STARTED HIM AND MY OTHER DOGS ON
ESTER- C AND I DONT KNOW IF IT IS IN MY HEAD BUT I HAVE NOTICED A
DIFFERANCE.

That said, my dog has been on liquid glucosamine, fish oil and vitamin E
pretty much since her diagnosis. She runs like the wind and can get up and
down stairs. She is well muscled, and at a good weight, and that has been
key. A little bit skinnier than ideal weight is better for the hips. Lots
of good, low impact exercise (like walks, swims), fewer things like jumping
or activities that involve lots of starts and stops (like playing fetch).
Others have suggested acupuncture, and my friend's dog seems to benefit from
chiropractic adjustments as well. There are lots of different options.

Suja