my dog has itchy back

Old October 28th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pev73

Default my dog has itchy back

HI, my Jack Russell 8 years old cant stop itching his back. He did have
fleas a couple of days ago which i have addressed and seem to be gone.
But he is still itching and has worn alot of his hair away on his back
to bum area. I have had a good look and there are no fleas, but some
sores and scabs. Would this be an after affect from the fleas or
something else? Any opinions would be appreciated...

Old October 28th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On 27 Oct 2006 20:05:37 -0700, "pev73"
wrote:

HI, my Jack Russell 8 years old cant stop itching his back. He did have
fleas a couple of days ago which i have addressed and seem to be gone.
But he is still itching and has worn alot of his hair away on his back
to bum area. I have had a good look and there are no fleas, but some
sores and scabs. Would this be an after affect from the fleas or
something else? Any opinions would be appreciated...

Flea bites wouldn't necessarily stop itching in a couple of days. Nor
would all the fleas necessarily be gone. You have to make sure you
got the whole cycle. Just killing the adult fleas is not enough.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old October 28th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

HI, my Jack Russell 8 years old cant stop itching his back. He did have
fleas a couple of days ago which i have addressed and seem to be gone.
But he is still itching and has worn alot of his hair away on his back
to bum area. I have had a good look and there are no fleas, but some
sores and scabs. Would this be an after affect from the fleas or
something else? Any opinions would be appreciated...

Could very well be a skin infection secondary to the flea infestation. Even
with fleas gone (dead or dying), the skin will not heal without proper
antibiotics. Best to have a vet look at him.

-Sharon

Old October 29th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Iain Bishop

If it doesn't get visibly better in a couple of days I'd take him to a vet
if I were you, just to be safe, in case its infected.

I would think the initial sores are because of the fleas though. Your dog
may, like mine, have very sensitive skin to flea bites and the first place
to show is always around the rump. I wage a constant battle against fleas,
since our area is very bad for fleas and flea protection doesn't mean that
fleas won't still jump onto your dog and bite. It just means that they will
die soon after. My dog only needs a few bites though to irritate her skin
unfortunately.

If your dog is hypersensitive to fleas, some things you could try a
- Use the flea drops every 3 weeks instead of every 4. I've been told by my
vet this is safe to do, and the reason for it is that flea drops become less
effective (ie. it takes longer to kill a flea after it jumps on) as the
weeks pass.

- Alternate between different brands of flea treatment, to prevent immunity
to one type

- Spray your carpet and dogs bed with flea treatment at the same time. And
obviously treat all pets at the same time.

I'd also appreciate any other tips anyone has for controlling fleas....

Iain

www.pawstoplay.com.au

Dog Walking and Pet Minding in Sydneys Inner West

Old October 29th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Iain Bishop" wrote in message
- Use the flea drops every 3 weeks instead of every 4. I've been told by

my
vet this is safe to do,

........What flea drops? This is true for Advantage, but not Frontline,
which shouldn't be used more than once a month. To be helpful, you need to
be more specific.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 31st 06, 10:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Iain Bishop

Hmmm, I didn't know this and my vet didn't mention that some couldn't be
used more than once a month.
Whats your source for this info please?

Iain

www.pawstoplay.com.au
Dog Walking and Pet Minding in Sydneys Inner West

k.net...

Old October 31st 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Iain Bishop" wrote in message
Hmmm, I didn't know this and my vet didn't mention that some couldn't be
used more than once a month.
Whats your source for this info please?

.......check the manufacturer's websites.