Mush meal

Old October 29th 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Iain Bishop

Default Mush meal

I thought I'd post a recipe that I got from my breeder when I bought my pup.
Its super healthy for dogs. I try to give it a couple of times a week to
keep my dog in tip top condition.

The mush meal consists of mince meat (alternate between different types -
chicken, beef, lamb), fruit and veggies, offal, coconut, apple cider
vinegar, garlic, supplement powder and omega oil, eggs (and shells), yoghurt
and cottage cheese. Mix well with a blender and serve. Theres no need to
cook this.
I make it in bulk and then freeze it.

If your dog turns his nose up, add some sugar or preferably honey to sweeten
it up.

More info about the veggies and fruit:
Most are OK except onions or grapes. Use all the scraps from the family
dinner preparation - ends and skin of carrots, broccoli stalks, celery tops
etc. No raw potato or peelings though! Cooked veggies are fine but raw is
better. Garlic helps repel fleas and worms, but don't overfeed garlic as it
is part of the onion family and can be harmful in large doses. Half a clove
per meal is fine. Coconut is used as roughage and helps to clear out worms,
but half to one tablespoon per meal is enough.

Iain

www.pawstoplay.com.au

Dog Walking and Pet Minding in Sydneys Inner West

Old October 29th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Iain Bishop

Oh, and the proportion of the dogs meal should be 70% meat, 30% fruit and
veg. In my mush meals, the proportion of veggies tends to be a bit higher
than this, but then I offset this with some raw meat and bone, or fish
meals in between the mush meals.

Old October 29th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Iain Bishop" wrote in message
The mush meal consists of mince meat (alternate between different types -
chicken, beef, lamb), fruit and veggies, offal, coconut, apple cider
vinegar, garlic, supplement powder and omega oil, eggs (and shells),

yoghurt
and cottage cheese. Mix well with a blender and serve. Theres no need to
cook this.
I make it in bulk and then freeze it.

............What's in supplement powder? How much omega oil? How many egg
shells per pound of meat? How much apple cider vinegar? What does offal
consist of and how much per pound of meat? How much dairy per pound of
meat?

If your dog turns his nose up, add some sugar or preferably honey to

sweeten
it up.

.......no sugar. If a dog turns his nose up at raw food, cook it, don't add
sugar.

Cooked veggies are fine but raw is
better.

........not really, breaking the cell wall of the veges is what's important.
You're losing vitamins by freezing, so raw frozen vege slop isn't that much
different than fresh cooked veges.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old October 29th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"Iain Bishop" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

If your dog turns his nose up, add some sugar or preferably
honey to sweeten it up.

Why would you screw up a reasonable start at a good feed by
adding sugar? My dogs would think your concoction to be
absolutely delicious but, if they didn't, *and* if said
concoction was nutritionally complete (which you haven't made
clear), I'd simply let them forgo that meal.

Old October 29th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Iain Bishop wrote:
I thought I'd post a recipe that I got from my breeder when I bought my pup.
Its super healthy for dogs. I try to give it a couple of times a week to
keep my dog in tip top condition.

The mush meal consists of mince meat (alternate between different types -
chicken, beef, lamb), fruit and veggies, offal, coconut, apple cider
vinegar, garlic, supplement powder and omega oil, eggs (and shells), yoghurt
and cottage cheese. Mix well with a blender and serve. Theres no need to
cook this.
I make it in bulk and then freeze it.

If your dog turns his nose up, add some sugar or preferably honey to sweeten
it up.

This is way too vague for me. How much of each item? It's not like you
can't possibly do your dog serious harm with a regime like this. Get
the proportions wrong and there could be major consequences.

What the heck is "supplement powder"? Like there aren't 10,000
variations on the market...

Offal? What is this exactly?

What's the deal with the egg shells? My guess is that this is not a
particularly bio-available form in which to administer calcium. Do you
have any sources that can document dogs being able to absorb calcium
from egg shells? And if so, how should they be presented? In my
experience, when my dogs have stolen and eaten eggs, the eggs were
punctured, crushed or dropped and the contents lapped up, leaving all
but a few incidentally ingested flakes of shell behind. I have never
observed a dog deliberately eating eggshell.

Kathleen

Old October 29th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Kathleen wrote:
In my
experience, when my dogs have stolen and eaten eggs, the eggs were
punctured, crushed or dropped and the contents lapped up, leaving all
but a few incidentally ingested flakes of shell behind. I have never
observed a dog deliberately eating eggshell.

When I give my dogs hard-boiled eggs they'll eat the shells,
too. It makes for funny-looking white-speckled poop - the
shells are not digested but pass right through.

Anyway, this diet isn't particularly interesting.

What Republicans have done to the US's fiscal health:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061028/...a_the_bankrupt
Old October 29th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

Kathleen said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Offal? What is this exactly?

As diddy says, offal can be ****, but in Brit-speak (and likely
Oz-speak - the OP is from Australia), it's internal organs.
Plus, one has to consider that the poster was describing a
homemade diet, so I doubt he meant diddy's "Offal == ****"
connexion.

Old October 29th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Kathleen" wrote in message
What's the deal with the egg shells? My guess is that this is not a
particularly bio-available form in which to administer calcium. Do you
have any sources that can document dogs being able to absorb calcium
from egg shells?

................sure it is - it's laregly just calcium carbonate, which is a
common calcium supplement used in pet foods. Go read some bags and cans.

And if so, how should they be presented?
.........Ideally, dried and ground.

I have never
observed a dog deliberately eating eggshell.

.........some dogs do eat shell and all. Mine aren't interested cuz it pokes
their mouths.

.........This is actually a pretty good recipe, but you're right, it needs
amounts, especially calcium/pound of meat. And I'm not convinced dogs needs
fruits and veges.

Old October 29th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . net,
buglady wrote:
........This is actually a pretty good recipe, but you're right, it needs
amounts, especially calcium/pound of meat. And I'm not convinced dogs needs
fruits and veges.

A dog doing very high-output sprinty kinds of things who
will be doing very high-output sprinty kinds of things
tomorrow, too, will benefit from carbohydrates for muscle
glycogen replenishment. I'd rather get it from a supplement
like Glycocharge, though, mostly because I'm a control freak
and want to be sure that they're getting the right amount.
Otherwise, fiber is good but I wouldn't overdo the carbs.
And I say this as someone who occasionally sports a "CHOOSE
CARBS" t-shirt, but that applies to humans.

Old October 30th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:06:18 -0500, elegy
wrote:

really? both of mine will eat an entire egg, shell and all, without a
second thought. maybe they're just weird

Harriet, who is definitely weird, will eat just the shells (sans egg) if
she gets half a chance.

--
Shelly

Ladies, girls, call us what you will. We prefer the label "Poster Hags
from Bad Girls' School!"
-- Melora Creager