Adoption question

Old August 25th 03, 01:21 AM
Donald Miller

Default Adoption question

This looks like a informative group. I wish to adopt a dog. I want a dog
for companionship and one that would alert me when someone approaches
the front door. Very few other demands: medium size any breed or
mixture. doesn't have to be cute or pretty. any sex or age.

I have one requirement . The dog must be smart. In the past I have had a
dog that was not so smart and another that was semi intelligent. I want
my next animal to be intelligent.

When adopting a child It would be out of line to request a smart kid.
When adopting a dog would this demand be wrong or offensive? I contacted
a rescue shelter here in Phoenix and got a cold shoulder. I got the
feeling it was because of my request for a smart dog. Could I get some
input from the group on this before I go any futher? Sorry to be so long
a post.

Old August 25th 03, 02:21 AM
Tara O.

"Donald Miller" wrote in message
This looks like a informative group. I wish to adopt a dog. I want a dog
for companionship and one that would alert me when someone approaches
the front door. Very few other demands: medium size any breed or
mixture. doesn't have to be cute or pretty. any sex or age.

I have one requirement . The dog must be smart. In the past I have had a
dog that was not so smart and another that was semi intelligent. I want
my next animal to be intelligent.

When adopting a child It would be out of line to request a smart kid.
When adopting a dog would this demand be wrong or offensive? I contacted
a rescue shelter here in Phoenix and got a cold shoulder. I got the
feeling it was because of my request for a smart dog. Could I get some
input from the group on this before I go any futher? Sorry to be so long
a post.

There are different kinds of smart. Do you want a problem-solver, a fast
learner, a manipulator? Depending on your definition of "intelligent"
you'll get different responses. I would caution you against some of the
really big "thinking" breeds because they will stay one step ahead of you.
The ones who are major thinkers are always mentally on-the-go and without a
job to do or alot of activity, you'll have trouble on your hands. Another
note is that while some breeds can be less intelligent overall, alot has to
do with training. If the dog was trained then its going to act smarter than
the untrained dog. I guess its really one of those things that there's no
"right" answer to.

When you contact a rescue group again, you may want to be more specific with
your request. Think about the questions I posed and come up with what your
definition of "smart" is so that you can relay that preference better. I
have a feeling what you really mean is a dog that has high trainability but
I could be wrong.
--
Tara

Old August 25th 03, 07:07 AM
Charles Richmond

Donald Miller wrote:

This looks like a informative group. I wish to adopt a dog. I want a dog
for companionship and one that would alert me when someone approaches
the front door. Very few other demands: medium size any breed or
mixture. doesn't have to be cute or pretty. any sex or age.

I have one requirement . The dog must be smart. In the past I have had a
dog that was not so smart and another that was semi intelligent. I want
my next animal to be intelligent.

As others have pointed out, many really smart dogs...require something
to keep them mentally busy all the time. Otherwise, they will keep themselves
busy...buy diggin in the yard or ripping up the drapes. If you will
spend a lot of time with the dog, that goes a long way.

You said that you were in the Phoenix area. In Gilbert, AZ, there is
an Australian Cattle Dog rescue. An ACD is a medium size dog that is
*very* intelligent. The ACD is a herding breed, and you may have to
deal with some "herding behaviors". My advice is to call the rescue,
and go out and meet some of the dogs and talk with the rescuer. You
can get a quick education on whether this type of dog is for you.

Here is the contact information for the rescue:

Shannon Stevens
President & Founder
New Hope Cattle Dogs, Rescue & Rehoming, Inc.
Gilbert, AZ
Web page: http://www.newhopecattledogs.com
Email:
Phone: (602) 690-8374