Age for Speutering?

Old November 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.misc,alt.religion.dake-bonoism
Alan Truism

Default Age for Speutering?

If 5 1/2 months is too early, what is the optimum age for neutering a
male dog (Lab mix).

buglady wrote:
"Alan Truism" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a dog that is approximately 5 1/2 months of age, which we were
about to have neutered, and I'm beginning to question the decision
after reading some of the comments on this thread.

............I don't think I'd neuter that early. I can't help but wondering
also if the increase in diseases like Addison's has anything to do with
neutering earlier and earlier. For female humans, once you're
postmenopausal, you have to be aware that those nicks and cuts may become
infected easier as estrogen seems to have a protective effect.

.......I've never had an unspeutered dog until now. I found a young male
stray a couple of years ago who was so skinny he was almost dead. Obviously
neutering went way to the bottom of the list. He's a real mellow fellow,
doesn't do threat displays with any dog, and I've just let it slide, because
his nignags don't seem to be giving him testosterone poisoning.

.......Having said all that, since so many people in our society treat pets
as animated stuffed toys that don't require any time, I'd be reluctant to
let most people make the decision about speutering themselves. They can't
even seem to bring them into the house.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 8th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health,rec.pets.dogs.misc,alt.religion.dake-bonoism
gnGracie

I believe 5 or 6 mos is the age vets generally recommend, but I don't
remember exactly which. Call your local vet or one of the local humane
societies that spays and neuters, and they can give you an exact
answer. Enjoy your pup.

Brandy