Herbal Remedy Dosage? Dog with Bronchitis (Help!)

Old November 12th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Herbal Remedy Dosage? Dog with Bronchitis (Help!)

Hi, my dog is 12 and the vet has told me he has bronchitis.The dog has
a hacking cough maybe 15 times a day and has a restricted airway.The
vet has tried 4 different drugs which don't work.The vet says he will
now put him on cough suppresants.

Searching through eBay I came across Yerba Santa or 'sacred herb' which
is good for bronchitis, coughs and asthma etc.A human is supposed to
take 20 drops 5 times a day.

Could I give this remedy to my dog & how much should I give him? I know
that herbs can be poisonous.Is this stuff safe for a dog? He is medium
size and weighs nearly 23 kg.

thank you.

Old November 12th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, my dog is 12 and the vet has told me he has bronchitis.The dog has
a hacking cough maybe 15 times a day and has a restricted airway.The
vet has tried 4 different drugs which don't work.The vet says he will
now put him on cough suppresants.

Searching through eBay I came across Yerba Santa
Could I give this remedy to my dog & how much should I give him?

..............Don't know. When your dog is ill, it's not time to look for
things that haven't been used with animals.

.........I'm assuming that your dog is heartworm negative and has had his
heart checked thoroughly. Here is a recipe for a dry cough (asthma, kennel
cough and bronchitis) from the book Herbs for Pets by Mary Wulff-Tilford and
Gregory Tilford who are professional herbalists. You may have to order some
of the herbal tinctures over the net. I've never looked for all of these
specifically in a health food store so don't know if they're readily
available. If you can't find glycerin extracts you can use the alcohol, but
first put a day's dosage into a small glass heat resistant container, then
put in a pot with simmering water. The object is to drive off the alcohol.
The alcohol is in there in the first place to preserve the extract. You can
keep the rest of the day's dose in the fridge - it should still be good.
Just don't drive the alcohol off the whole bottle of extract at once as it
will go bad.

This formula eases spastic coughting, fights bacterial infection, and
soothes inflamed membranes.
Combine the following low-alcohol (glycerin) tinctures:
1 part coltsfoot, 1 part grindelia or elecampane, 1 part mullein leaf, 1
part yarrow, 1 part marshmallow

This combination can be added to a small amount of honey and fed to dogs or
cats two or three times daily until the illness has run its course. An
appropriate dose is 0.25 - 0.5 milliliters for each 20 pounds of the
animal's body weight. Additionally, a twice daily dose of echinacea or
astragalus is recommended for immune support.
(Herbs for Pets, p. 333)

......Here is a reputable herbal site (for humans) where you can look up
herbs: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/faqs...-12-cough.html

...........Please note that some sites mention lobelia for coughs. This herb
should only be given to pets under the direction of an herbalist. Licorace
use should also be carefully monitored.

........One other thought - if you live in a place where there is a
practicing herbalist, they may have the herbal extracts listed in the
recipe. I would not change the recipe unless the person is competent in
treating animals. The authors of the book Herbs for Pets have been careful
to weed out or restrict herbs that may be harmful to pets.

.......Also quercitin with bromelain is good for lung issues. Quercitin is
abundant in onions (which you don't want to feed to your dog!) and bromelain
comes from pineapple and helps with the absorption of quercitin. I've used
this is dogs/cats and it's safe. It's anti-inflammatory. Since your dog is
23 kg, you can probably use 1/2 human dose. And since you used kg instead
of lbs, where are you - UK, Canada, Australia? None of what I wrote may
then be relevant..... ;-( The herbs mentioned may not be available in UK
or Aus and I think Canada has gotten medieval and restricts nutraceuticals
such as quercitin, but don't remember.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old November 14th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

buglady wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the replies.I have decided to ask my vet but he may not know
much
about herbal treatments although he does use homeopathy.
The latest treatment the dog is on has helped but not stopped the
hacking
altogether.Thanks again.