Degenerative Myelopathy

Old November 14th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Degenerative Myelopathy

Hi all,

I am new to this post and was after some advice regarding my 8 yr old
GSD who has been diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy.

My vet has not been very helpful as apparently this disease is not
curable, all he has said that giving my dog (Charlie) L-Carnitine, up
to 1000mg per day.

I have looked all over the web and can find no relation between this
supliment and the disease, whilst I want to do anything I can to make
my dogs quality of life better, I do not want to give him anything that
may cause him extra harm or stress.

The only info I can get on L-Carnitine is that it is used almost as a
steroid to build muscle growth, but the problem with Charlie lies
within his spinal cord.

Anyone who can provide any info or advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Richard

Old November 14th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . com,
wrote:
The only info I can get on L-Carnitine is that it is used almost as a
steroid to build muscle growth, but the problem with Charlie lies
within his spinal cord.

I can't speak to the L-Carnitine question but it's worth
noting that one of the consequences of DM is muscle loss in
the hind end.

Sorry to hear about your dog - I've had two dogs with
degenerative myelopathy and it just sucks.

Old November 14th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Scott

I would strongly recommend that you go to this site:
http://www.mzjf.com/dm.html

I think you will find the information you are seeking.

Best of luck, scott

Old November 15th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am new to this post and was after some advice regarding my 8 yr old
GSD who has been diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy.

Richard, ...........DM is largely a diagnosis of exclusion. How did your
vet come about this diagnosis? This is a rather critical point, as it is
possible that DM is not what your dog has, despite the fact that he is a
GSD.

My vet has not been very helpful as apparently this disease is not
curable, all he has said that giving my dog (Charlie) L-Carnitine, up
to 1000mg per day.

Dr. Clemmons from U. of FL has worked on DM for years. I've never
personally known anyone to try his whole regime, but he claims an 80%
improvement rate:

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/DM_Web/DMofGS.htm

Some comments on Clemmons' regime by Dr. Allen Schoen:
http://www.gcci.org/ciah/articles/degenerative.html

Some universities claim they've seen no results with medications suggested
by Clemmons. Meds aren't the only thing he suggests though, so I wonder if
they put dogs on the full regime (including diet) suggested by Clemmons if
they'd see any kind of stabilization or improvement. There's really no way
to know. And no one else is really even trying to do anything about
treatment. So here's a different point of view, plus a good discussion of
how to do a neuro exam for DM.:
http://siriusdog.com/articles/degene...erman-shepherd
-dm.htm

This is an information and support site with support group you can join.
NOthing better than talking to people who are battling the same disease:
http://www.mzjf.com/main.htm

I have looked all over the web and can find no relation between this
supliment and the disease, whilst I want to do anything I can to make
my dogs quality of life better, I do not want to give him anything that
may cause him extra harm or stress.

L-carnitine is an amino acid found in meat. It's really important for the
heart muscle and is often supplemented for heart problems. Perhaps your vet
thinks it will help keep the hind leg muscles from wasting away. I don't
know about at 1000 mg dose, seems pretty high. From what I read, exercise
is the crucial key to keep the muscles from wasting away. Swimming is
especially good.

........I think you need a new vet. You need one that not necessarily knows
anything about DM, as most vets will probably tell you it's untreatable, to
keep up the exercise and give some Vit E, but one that is open to working
with you if you decide to try the whole shebang Dr. Clemmons suggests. I
don't know if it will help, but personally I wouldn't think you have
anything to lose.

buglady
take out the dog before replying