Please please please can someone help me

Old November 17th 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
sheila

Default Please please please can someone help me

I recently got a german shepherd from a rescue in surry, i am in
scotland, he is 20 months old and he is as strong as an ox, in the
house he is perfect, you couldnt ask for a more loving animal, but when
someone come in like a friend he tries to attack them, and i dont mean
just growling, he will lunge for them, ive had to muzzel him when
anyone comes to the door, he is great with my son and partner though
and doesnt even flinch when my son comes barging in the front door.
When we take him out its horrific, he pulls so much and he is so strong
that we are conatantly stopping and tring to make him sit down, anyone
passes and he is trying to attack them again.
He had me on my arse sitting in the mud this morning trying to hold on
to him and control him, a man and his dog walked past and i was holding
on to his coller, i was so afraid that i wouldnt be able to hold on to
him.
He is so loving in the house that i cant understand whats going on, i
have only had him about 8 days now but im so scared that he will end up
hurting someone and i now dread taking him out, please can anyone help
me?
Sheila

Old November 17th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
diddy

"sheila" composed these thoughts and posted
them oups.com:

He is so loving in the house that i cant understand whats going on, i
have only had him about 8 days now but im so scared that he will end up
hurting someone and i now dread taking him out, please can anyone help
me?
Sheila

You need to enroll him in obedience school as soon as possible.
not only will this get his socialization started, it will put you in
contact with people who can show you how to handle him, and teach him how
to handle himself.
Old November 18th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Mens _ Canis

sheila schrieb:
Putting him in training classes is not an option, he will just try to
attack them, i havent found anywhere that will take on an aggressive
dog.
Im not in to hurting him and i dont want to use anything like shock
collers,
he is stressed enough
I want to calm him down and try to get him to listen to us.

good evening sheila.
please be patient with your dog.
(be also patient with me if you find some mistakes in english. thanks!)
by an age of abt 20 months its a very young dog and
he has to learn a lot ;-)

i live in vienna with a shephard whom i found some years ago nearby the
italian highway (rome) and a sharplaninac who was coming out of a
hungarian "death-lager".
none of my dogs knew a leash. they tried the same "little games" with me
as your dog does now.
(my advantage... i have had dogs since 1987)

8 days are really _nothing_ referring any good education of your dog.
"shock collars" are forbidden here in austria for a very good reason:
with these methods you could easily *destroy* the best character of any
dog !!

1. _leash_
when your dog pulls on his leash please _turn__around_: go into the
other direction. turn back. he will follow you.
step by step he will learn that there is no sense in pulling you away.

2. _behavior__with__other__dogs_
do you know someone (friend) who has a very quiet and sovereign dog?
this should help. ;-)

beg him to stay with _his_ dog in a distance of ~30 meters.
then pass by different times.
when your dog calmes down - and he _will_ do ! praise him. - reduce the
distance to ~20 meters (for the first time for about half an hour).

at the beginning don't go too near to the other dog.
you must try different times/different days. so your dog will learn that
other dogs are no problem.

3. _visitors__in__your__house_
eventually - for a certain period - there would be helpful a muzzle.
you _and__only__you_ tell your dog to stay away.
visitors first ignore him.

when the dog has calmed down your friend chucks a "goodie" in the
direction of the dog. after then he moves in a certain distance (but
does _not_ look at the dog) dropping another "goodie".

(btw. try the same thing with ringing or knocking at the door.
try different times on different days. always when your dog is quiet:
praise him. you can force it: someone of your familiy should go out and
make a 'terrible noise' at the door.)

when we got him, he was out on a walk with about 20 other dogs, all off
the lead and running riot, there were about 20 other peopke there too
and he didnt even bat an eyelid,
Thanks why im so confused.

your dog has a very good sense for _your__own_ confusion.
you too should relax ;-)
there is no miracle in a good and _consequent_ education of your dog.
love understanding and a very simple YES or NO is the basis.
never give ambiguous commands (there is *never* any "_perhaps_" in your
dog training !!).

We were complete strangers to him and yet he sat in the back of our car
for the journy back to scotland without any aggression to us.

perfect :-) good guy.

4. _most__important__thing_
praising the dog always when he did as you wanted is an important factor.
but you must do it in the *right* moment:
for example.
my sharplaninac girl really loves !! any kind of dog food and tried to
eat everything she found in the street. of course i can't accept because
you never know what your dear dog _is_ really eating... :-(
therefore a strict NO. when she let it be i _suddenly_ praised her.

Are we doing something wrong?
We just bought a halti for him and he hates it but it does stop his
pulling,

i tried with 'halti' too. then a special day i decided to leave it off.
i think my dogs are more happy without and feel better...

we had him on a harness before that but that just made his
power seem even stronger
i have no idea of his history either as he came from a rescue so i cant
pin this behaviour on anything
HELP!!!

hope i could help only a little bit...

have a good time with your wonderful dog !!

best viennese greetings
mens_canis + cirillo + cora

Old November 18th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bigjoe

"sheila" a écrit dans le message de
ps.com...

ERMmmmmmmm?
cut

WHO in the world is m*ron enough
to quote all that b*llsh*t ??????

Old November 18th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bigjoe

oups.com...

Old November 18th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bigjoe

Old November 18th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bigjoe

[...]
pulling, we had him on a harness before that but that just made his
power seem even stronger
i have no idea of his history either as he came from a rescue so i cant
pin this behaviour on anything
HELP!!! please

Old November 18th 06, 11:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Bigjoe

"Spot" a écrit dans le message de
Like Diddy said the dog and you need to go obedience class. If he's
agressive and you are worried get a 1 on 1 class with an instructor or
possibly take him to class but muzzle him. There are no quick fixes just

lot of training.

Celeste

ups.com...