Area under my dog's nose is inflamed

Old November 20th 06, 04:01 PM
Cathy K Cathy K is offline
Junior Member

Location: Louisiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Cathy K
Default Area under my dog's nose is inflamed

My dog, Candy, is a yellow lab mix and is in the realm of "geriatric" at her age (12+ years) and for her breed, and up until about three weeks ago, she was active and lively for an "old lady". It was at that time that I noticed that the area under her nose, normally black, had some pink splotches on it. Two weeks ago, the entire area under her nose was pink as cotton candy, and she also had a couple of pea-size pink bumps on her lower lip (left side only). Her appetite was good and her water intake normal. No other problems. Since then she's become listless and sleeps more than usual, but no change in her appetite, etc.

I've had her to the vet 5 times in about 2 weeks. She's been on 2 antibiotics (Keflex for about 3 days then switched to another that was easier on her tummy); she's finished that. She's also been on Predisone almost 10 days, and starting this morning the dosage is decreased to a 1/2 tablet a day until Thursday. I & the vet both see "some" little improvement of the area affected. However he said that if she doesn't "turn the corner" improvement-wise with this course of meds, the next step will have to be a veterinary internist. He's got a friend who is a vet-internist and he would talk to her about helping me out with the cost, but that it would still be expensive.

Have any of you encountered this problem, or know what it might be? Any information about this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cathy K.
Old November 21st 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Cathy K" wrote in message
My dog, Candy, is a yellow lab mix and is in the realm of "geriatric" at
her age (12+ years

Two weeks ago, the entire area under her nose
was pink as cotton candy, and she also had a couple of pea-size pink
bumps on her lower lip (left side only). Her appetite was good and
her water intake normal. No other problems. Since then she's become
listless and sleeps more than usual, but no change in her appetite,
etc.

I've had her to the vet 5 times in about 2 weeks. She's been on 2
antibiotics (Keflex for about 3 days then switched to another that was
easier on her tummy); she's finished that. She's also been on Predisone
almost 10 days, and starting this morning the dosage is decreased to a
1/2 tablet a day until Thursday. I & the vet both see "some" little
improvement of the area affected.

........The easiest fix is if you'd introduced a plastic feeding dish
recently, which sometimes causes dogs problems. But that's usually
bacterial and you'd think the antibiotics would have had a dramatic effect.
Since it's under her nose are they sure there's no nasal discharge? I'd be
a little worried about the recent listlessness and wonder about lupus. No
itchiness? I'd take a good look at her paws, especially in between and see
if there's anything going on there you didn't notice.

Here's a list of possibles (scroll down to Diseases of the Canine Nasal
Planum). http://www.dcavm.org/05apr.html
*The differential diagnoses for diseases of the canal nasal planum,
beginning with those most commonly seen in practice would include idiopathic
nasal hypopigmentation, idiopathic nasal hyperkeratosis, discoid lupus
erythematosus, chronic nasal discharge, bacterial dermatitis, the pemphigus
complex, vitiligo, solar dermatitis, hereditary parakeratotic
hyperkeratosis, nasal hyperkeratosis associated with xeromycteria,
idiopathic granulomatous/pyogranulomatous dermatitis, dermatophytosis,
vasculitis, ulcerative dermatosis of the St. Bernard, leukocytoclastic
vasculitits of the Scottish Terrier, cutaneous lymphoma (mycosis fungoides
or epitheliotropic lymphoma), distemper and squamous cell carcinoma. This
list is not intended to be entirely complete, but instead emphasizes those
diseases which may be restricted to the planum. *

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00095.htm
*Depigmentation of the nasal planum is usually due to one of the autoimmune
diseases (discoid or systemic lupus erythematosus, pemphigus, or bullous
pemphigoid) or much less commonly nasal solar dermatitis (“Collie nose”).
However, the author has seen several dogs with this presentation, which in
fact, had a bacterial pyoderma, sterile pyogranuloma, mycosis fungoides, or
leishmaniasis. Again, a biopsy of the affected area should provide a
diagnosis.*

Overview of autoimmune skin diseases like pemphigus and lupus:
http://www.canismajor.com/dog/autoimmn.html
..........The above site mentions doing bloodwork as a starting point, and I
think this is a good idea, especially since your pup is a senior.

Kinds of lupus and treatment:
http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/im...rythematosus.h
tm
........At above site they mention giving fattty acids & Vit E along with low
dose steroids to dogs with cutaneous or discoid lupus. No harm in trying
these supplements even without a diagnosis as they're both helpful to your
pup and may improve the situation.

Pemphigus: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...foliaceus.html

.......both pemphigus and systemic lupus seem to require high dose steroids,
while cutaneous (discoid) needs low dose, so I guess you're at a point where
diagnosis is necessary for treatment. And it seems that a biopsy is the
only way to differentiate between these diseases.

This would be way down on the list of possibles if you're in the US (unless
you live in an area where it has occured) but still you may want to look at
this:
http://www.leishmania.co.uk/info/diagnosis.html

..........Generally I think a dermatologist would be the way to go, but I
don't know why an internist couldn't handle the biopsy and diagnosis.

buglady
take out the dog before replying