Nose protection for a Jack Russell

Old November 24th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Nose protection for a Jack Russell

I have a young (1 year) Russell that loves to a push, roll and chase a ball. I'm
talking something the size and weight of a basketball. Any smaller sized ball
can be mouthed and of no challenge to him.
The trouble that a basketball has tiny grip aids that as the ball rolls against
his nose it wears a sore on his nose in about 15 minutes of play.
We have tried volley balls - too soft a cover and will last about 10 minutes
before he manages to rip the cover with a tooth and a minute later the ball is
trash.
A soccer ball will last a bit longer but should we let the pressure get a little
low and we don't catch it the ball is trash.
So we bought a ball that is about the size of a basketball but hard, smooth
and sold as "Almost Indestructible." It works well but it gets small burrs and
scratches that will quickly cut and abrade his nose.
I've thought of a muzzle but dismissed because he is working very hard and
needs all the air he can get.
I hate to end this form of play because it is great exercise and Jack's need a
lot of it or they become a hand full.
Does anyone know of a device that will protect his nose.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 6