Cephalexin and Surgery

Old November 30th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

Default Cephalexin and Surgery

Khan came back from critter hunting in the brush with bloody eyes. Turns
out, he has a couple of tears in his eyelid, and a small laceration below it
and he's on a topical antibiotic for the eye and Cephalexin (1000 mg 2x
daily; he weighs 87 pounds) as a systemic. While we were there, it was also
discovered that he has broken off 1/3rd off one of his molars. He actually
winced when the vet touched it, as did the vet, so it's probably going to
come out on Friday.

My question is this. I know that Cephalexin can adversely affect kidney
function, as can the anesthetics required for surgery. Any idea if this is
something to be concerned about? He'll have his pre-surgery blood work;
would that indicate if there is a problem?

Suja

Old November 30th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"diddy" wrote in message:

Don't know, but I certainly hope everything works out all right.

Thanks, diddy. I am a little worried, since he's not exactly a spry, young
dog anymore.

He isn't acting like he's in any pain, and his eye looks *much* better (last
night, he looked like Rocky after a title fight). I definitely didn't want
to add Deramaxx to the mix if it could be helped.

Suja

Old December 1st 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

My question is this. I know that Cephalexin can adversely affect kidney
function, as can the anesthetics required for surgery. Any idea if this
is
something to be concerned about? He'll have his pre-surgery blood work;
would that indicate if there is a problem?

It's not so much that anesthesia adversly affects kidneys, but that the
kidneys being the organ that filters the anesthesia from the patient, has to
be in good working order to aid in recovery. This is easily known with
pre-anesthetic blood work. A simple CBC will tell the doctor if the kidneys
are healthy enough to handle anesthesia. The vast majority are - even some
oldsters handle it well. But it's information that is extremely useful to
the doctor. It also tells how healthy the patient is inregards to platelets,
white cells and red cells, liver function etc... I wouldn't worry about the
antibiotic. This will all be monitored.

Old December 2nd 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Sharon Too" wrote in message
It's not so much that anesthesia adversly affects kidneys, but that the
kidneys being the organ that filters the anesthesia from the patient, has

be in good working order to aid in recovery.

........I'll be lazy and tag on Sharon's post. g Suja, will the dog be on
IV during surgery? Fluids help flush anesthesia from the system, so this
perhaps would help not put extra load on the kidneys. Ask your vet.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 3rd 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
DebbieS

Sharon wrote:
A simple CBC will tell the doctor if the kidneys
are healthy enough to handle anesthesia

A CBC? What is whole blood going to tell you about kidney function?

Debbie

Old December 3rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

A CBC? What is whole blood going to tell you about kidney function?

I guess I should have stated a mini or full panel to check the BUN and
creatnine. But most people understand the term CBC and the vet would
certainly run the correct preanesthetic panel.

Old December 3rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 14:18:12 -0500, "Sharon Too"
wrote:

A CBC? What is whole blood going to tell you about kidney function?

I guess I should have stated a mini or full panel to check the BUN and
creatnine. But most people understand the term CBC and the vet would
certainly run the correct preanesthetic panel.

I don't mean to pick nits, but IME, the term CBC does not denote a
complete blood panel in either human or animal medicine. I think my
vet calls it a blood chemistry; a physician would order a SMAC or,
more commonly now, a BMP (basic metabolic panel) or CMP (complete
metabolic panel).

Mustang Sally

Old December 3rd 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
DebbieS

Sharon Too wrote:

But most people understand the term CBC and the vet would
certainly run the correct preanesthetic panel.

A CBC is a complete blood count. Has nothing to do with chemistry, but
counting blood cells from whole blood. If "most people" truly
understood what a CBC is, they'd be confused by your stating that a CBC
is used to determine renal function. Serum or plasma is needed to run
chemistries.

Debbie

Old December 3rd 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
DebbieS

Suja wrote:
Khan came back from critter hunting in the brush with bloody eyes.

Hi! How is The Big Furry One doing? I'd be freaked if Kira or Winston
came running to me with bloody eyes. Ugh.

Debbie
Back from a long hiatus.

Old December 3rd 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

A CBC is a complete blood count.

I am aware of that.

Has nothing to do with chemistry, but
counting blood cells from whole blood. If "most people" truly
understood what a CBC is, they'd be confused by your stating that a CBC
is used to determine renal function. Serum or plasma is needed to run
chemistries.

I know what that is. But in order to keep things simple for non-medical
people, I used a term that they would be *familiar* with. The point was to
encourage preanesthetic blood testing without overwhelming the OP with
information over the head. I'm not here to have pissing matches.