HELP!! Looking for breeder info for a friend in need

Old December 1st 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
BD

Default HELP!! Looking for breeder info for a friend in need

Hi, all.

I'm helping a computer-handicapped dog owner friend. A 'what the heck
is Usenet' kind of person...

She's been dealing with a breeder of American Cocker Spaniels, who has
proven to be unreliable - a dog that came from this kennel was clearly
suffering from neglect when she picked it up. She is fostering this
dog, and was told by the breeder that the dog was totally healthy -
where in fact, she has *severe* cataracts, there was fecal matter
caked onto her ear flap (well, everywhere, in fact), which seems to
have created a large aural hematoma beneath the mass, this kind of
thing.

She is also about to collect a female and a few young ones - she would
seriously consider keeping one of the puppies, but has little
confidence in the word of the breeder as regards the dogs' health
records.

She is looking for some kind of central resource which lists breeders
in the context of the health history of their dogs - ie., if a breeder
has had dogs with health problems, is this information stored anywhere
such that potential clients can search out breeders with good
reputations...?

She also asks if there is a central database containing results of
tests done on dogs from various breeders - something with some
detail...

She provides an example of the OFA database - which is fine for hips,
but that's it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

BD

Old December 1st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Amy Dahl

BD wrote:

is this information stored anywhere
such that potential clients can search out breeders with good
reputations...?

She also asks if there is a central database containing results of
tests done on dogs from various breeders - something with some
detail...

She provides an example of the OFA database - which is fine for hips,
but that's it.

Actually if you go to the OFA website at offa.org, you will see
that they are now reporting information from a variety of health
registries. I know I looked at a record for one of my dogs that
showed her thyroid and eye (CERF) numbers.

The AKC has a breeder referral program. I believe the
way it works is that when you put in a request with AKC,
they then have someone from the parent breed club call
you back. They can then provide you with some listings.
This is far from a perfect screening service, but in the clubs
I know it will at least steer you to breeders who fall in
with the club's code of ethics. It is up to you to ask
questions and evaluate the breeder.

Amy Dahl

Old December 1st 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
BD

Actually if you go to the OFA website at offa.org, you will see
that they are now reporting information from a variety of health
registries. I know I looked at a record for one of my dogs that
showed her thyroid and eye (CERF) numbers.

Okay, I'll pass that on. Thanks much!

It really tore my heart out - I looked into this dog's eyes, and they
were FULL of little white chunks of - whatever. And the breeder's tale
was apparently something along the lines of "Oh, her eyes are fine -
it's just the dust in our yard that scratched up the cornea, that's
all."

I *detest* seeing animals mistreated or neglected. Makes me want to...
well, *do things*. From the apparent state of this dog when she showed
up (covered in fleas and feces), I would likely have spit right on the
breeder's feet. I'm almost sure I would have lost my temper in some
fashion.

Anyway - thanks for the info. ;-)