How to Get Rid of Fleas?

Old December 3rd 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Mike

Default How to Get Rid of Fleas?

Hi, I dog sit for my neighbor's dog, a mixed breed that weighs around 40lbs.
He scratches an awful lot and I suspect he has fleas.
What's the best way to get rid of them and keep them off the dog? I don't
believe the owner is going to do anything about it.
Also, what do you get recommend for dog food?

Thanks,

Mike

Old December 4th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan S.

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi, I dog sit for my neighbor's dog, a mixed breed that weighs around
40lbs.
He scratches an awful lot and I suspect he has fleas.
What's the best way to get rid of them and keep them off the dog? I
don't
believe the owner is going to do anything about it.
Also, what do you get recommend for dog food?

Thanks,

Mike

Depending on your relationship with the owner, you should probably leave the
healthcare for the pet to them. However, that aside, you could try washing
the dog in a flea shampoo every 7 days or so for 4-6 weeks. If fleas are in
the bedding and carpet, you will also need to treat them. If this is the
case, you may need to wash the dog for 6-12 weeks. This is what worked for
me last time. Of course, I didn't give the offending parasites the
opportunity to infest the bedding and carpets extensively. Prior to that, I
used the vet's prescription. Certainly, it has always worked.

For food, no table scraps, unless you carefully formulate a diet with some
type of professional guidance. Other than that, I recommend any
over-the-counter dog food. Some breeders and owners of show dogs go for the
higher dollar stuff, but, for general purposes, the store brand would be
fine. The problem with store brand dog food is that unless you shop at the
same store all of the time, you can't always get it. I use the largest
national brand. It is available wherever I choose to shop that day.

--

Yours,
Dan S.

Reporting to you from South Bend
-Outspokenness is too often confused for a virtue. However, virtues
underlie the message not the act.

Old December 5th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Mike

[...]

The dog is owned by a retiree with limited income so far I've two leashes a
collar and some other stuff.
He has no problem with me taking care of the dog's needs. I'll do the baths
as you suggrst.n Is there a prescription
that'll get rid of fleas? Do you recommend a flea collar?
The owner does find him table scraps which needs to stop. I buy Alpo dog
food and mix it with Kibble and Bits which he l;ikes alot.

Mike

Old December 5th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan S.

"Mike" wrote in message news:us4dh.934$R_1.597@trndny08...

The dog is owned by a retiree with limited income so far I've two leashes
a collar and some other stuff.
He has no problem with me taking care of the dog's needs. I'll do the
baths as you suggrst.n Is there a prescription
that'll get rid of fleas? Do you recommend a flea collar?
The owner does find him table scraps which needs to stop. I buy Alpo dog
food and mix it with Kibble and Bits which he l;ikes alot.

Mike

There is a good flea medicine that the vet can give you. I think it's
called Frontline. It's not the Frontline you can get a Wal-mart, though.
It cost, I think, $20 a month or so last year. It is a single treatment
that last a whole month and you may need to use it for three months or so.
It was very effective for my dog.

If the owner, you and the dog are all comfortable with the food choice, I
would think that should be fine barring any health issues. Note that this
isn't a fourm for professional advice, you should always consult a vet for
professional advice.

Old December 6th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Mike

"Dan S." wrote in message

There is a good flea medicine that the vet can give you. I think it's
called Frontline. It's not the Frontline you can get a Wal-mart, though.
It cost, I think, $20 a month or so last year. It is a single treatment
that last a whole month and you may need to use it for three months or so.
It was very effective for my dog.

If the owner, you and the dog are all comfortable with the food choice, I
would think that should be fine barring any health issues. Note that this
isn't a fourm for professional advice, you should always consult a vet for
professional advice.

Thanks for tips.

Mike

Old December 7th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Kyler Laird

"Mike" writes:

Is there a prescription that'll get rid of fleas?

We just had our first consultation with a holistic vet this week and one
of the issues we discussed was flea preventive. We've used Frontline
for a long time. Bad stuff, we think.

She mentioned that there's a pill that kills fleas immediately (in an
hour or so). I don't have a reference but it seems like an interesting
tool. (I was thinking of it for foster dogs coming into our household.)

Good luck.

--kyler
Old December 7th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Dan S.

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
"Mike" writes:

Is there a prescription that'll get rid of fleas?

We just had our first consultation with a holistic vet this week and one
of the issues we discussed was flea preventive. We've used Frontline
for a long time. Bad stuff, we think.

She mentioned that there's a pill that kills fleas immediately (in an
hour or so). I don't have a reference but it seems like an interesting
tool. (I was thinking of it for foster dogs coming into our household.)

Good luck.

--kyler

There is an over-the-counter Frontline that works as well (or as poorly) as
Sergeant's or Hartz' over-the-counter brand. They contain a topical
insecticide by the name of Permathrin or a similar derivative. The stuff
the vet will give you is a transdermal mediation that goes between the
shoulder blades of the dog. Don't confuse this with the cheap stuff that
you can buy at the store they make that can also be placed between the
shoulder blades of the pet. It is not the same stuff. It is also a topical
insecticide.

I have never heard of a pill that will work in 24 hours. More than likely,
you are getting worked over by a some quack in the name of holistic healing.

Old December 7th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Shadow Walker

Frontline or Advantage from the vet or feed store make sure of the dogs
weight though.

Shadow Walker

Old December 7th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Shadow Walker

If the pill does kill them, they are more than likley feeding and ingesting
the stuff before dying. I would like to not have them feed before the
product starts to kill them. I would like to know that any contact with my
pet will kill them whither they get to feed or not.

Shadow Walker