Dog with sore throat

Old December 3rd 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
perrylep

Default Dog with sore throat

My 3 1/2 yo Boston Terrier was not "right" yesterday. We woke up and she
was lethargic, felt really warm and her body language just said she didn't
feel good. Plus, she suddenly had a peculiar bad breath. Not like "I ate a
dead frog, let me kiss you NOW", but like a reflux or rotten smell. She is
current on all her vacs. Has regular vet visits. Never has had any health
issues whatsover. Always a vibrant, happy, healthy, strong dog. It was
Saturday and I called the vet during their working hours (til noon) and they
squeezed me in..
Boy am I glad I took her in. I was afraid of nothing being really wrong and
I was going to look like a overzealous owner.
Turned out she did indeed have a temp, 104o and mucous in her throat (vet
said that was where the smell was coming from). He didn't appear to be too
concerned about anything...said she just got "something". I'm not sure if
there's a suggestion she got it from something airborne, if it's from
something she ate (I have a kooky neighbor, who would not be above tossing
something over the fence, but that's another story). He gave her a shot of
cortisone and an injection of antibiotics, plus a ten day script of oral
Baytril.
She is much improved this morning. Not warm to the touch, her appetite was
perky and personality was a bit more cheerful.
Anything to look out for?
Perry

Old December 4th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
perrylep

Well, that is what I am curious about...the vet mentioned the cause could've
been something she ate...I'm guessing he was implying that maybe she ate
something that wasn't food and there was trauma in her throat...
He did say that to determine what the bacteria was, he would have to culture
it, but didn't think at this time that there was any need to do that.
Also, I'm wondering if I need to check into a dental cleaning...could tartar
cause a sore throat?
Perry
way down in chilly (finally) south louisiana

Old December 4th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"perrylep" wrote in message
Also, I'm wondering if I need to check into a dental cleaning...could

tartar
cause a sore throat?

.........I don't think so. Certainly you could get bad breath, but it
wouldn't be overnight.

way down in chilly (finally) south louisiana

........I hear you there! Waiting for the cold air in central FL.

buglady
take out the dog before replying