New adopted Pom advice needed

Old October 12th 03, 01:12 AM
Sunni12

Default New adopted Pom advice needed

We adopted a 3 y/o female Pomeranian from a local shelter 4 days ago.
She is not our first shelter dog, but she is having problems none of the others
have had. They all appear to be anxiety related. When we took her to the vet
for her 1st check up, we did tell Dr about what was going on. Including the
shelter, we are her 4th home, so i understand why she is feeling stressed. The
vet said she will get over it, it'll just take time.

She keeps running around in circles. Licking furiously on the bed. Digging
furiously on the bed. The last 2 days she just hides under the bed or futon
only coming out for food or to go outside. She has been following me
everywhere. Although my DH takes the dogs out on the early morning and evening
outings, the last 2 days I have to go down stairs to get her to the door. She
is eating well. She is doing her buisness outside just fine. We only use
positive reinforcement with our pets and never yell, choke or shock them. My DH
and DS are both also very good and gentle with our 4 footed kids. (Hubby's nick
name is Dr Doolittle because all animals love him.

What I want to know is what to do to ease her. It really tugs at my heart to
see her so nervous.

Sunny
Old October 12th 03, 02:42 PM
Mary Peret

"Sunni12" wrote in message
[...]

She is definitely anxious. After all, the last 3 homes she went to sent her
away again. She will get over it in time, but it will take her a while to
trust and to feel secure. In the meantime, you might ask your vet what
dosage of Benadryl is right for your dog. Benadryl will make her a bit
drowsy and might calm some of her anxiety. Or, you might consider a
stronger, prescription medication to help her feel more stable until she
gets settled in your home. Unfortunately there is not a way to communicate
immediately to a dog that everything is going to be ok and that they aren't
going to endure more of the same treatment that landed them in a shelter or
rescue in the first place. It will take this little girl some time to
understand that she has found a forever family. It is going to take a lot
of patience and gentle training on your part to help her out. Consider
taking her to obedience classes, private lessons if group lessons are too
stressful. Learning to work together with you and having you spend quality
time with her are good ways for her to build trust with you and to give her
an outlet for her anxious energy. If you can afford it, engage a reputable
behaviorist in your area for a few session. S/he can assist you in honestly
evaluating your dog, and give you some methods to try to help ease her
fears.

Good luck to you, and congratulations on adopting a dog who needed you.

Mary