what happens without teeth cleanings?

Old December 15th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael Linford

Default what happens without teeth cleanings?

I have a 12-yr old miniature poodle. Since he is too old to get anesthesia
for teeth cleanings, I was wondering what the risks are of him getting some
sort of gum disease. We tried brushing his teeth before and he hated it, but
I might be willing to try it again if the risks are grave. I gave him
greenies before and he liked them, but I'm not sure I want to do that again
after reading the stories.

Old December 16th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

I have a 12-yr old miniature poodle. Since he is too old to get anesthesia
for teeth cleanings, I was wondering what the risks are of him getting
some
sort of gum disease. We tried brushing his teeth before and he hated it,
but
I might be willing to try it again if the risks are grave. I gave him
greenies before and he liked them, but I'm not sure I want to do that
again
after reading the stories.

Age doesn't necessarily predict ability for a dog to handle modern
anesthesia. Many oldster undergo dentals as long as their preanesthetic
blood work and ecg indicate healthy kidneys, other organs and heart.

Gum disease and bacteria assicated can cause heart disease, infections
within the body and certainly major discomfort.

What has your vet recommended for your particular dog?

Old December 18th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rick Ayres

You might want to ask you vet about OraVet. You apply it to your dog's teeth
and gums once a week. It's not a substitute for a professional cleaning or
for regular brushing, but it works great ( in my experience) for reducing
periodontal problems.

We have an 8 year old miniature poodle who was having pretty bad problems,
including several tooth extractions, even with regular brushing and periodic
scaling. His mouth is much better and no teeth have been pulled since we
started him on OraVet 2 years ago.
(I have no conection to OraVet other than being a happy customer.)

Rick

"Michael Linford" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 12-yr old miniature poodle. Since he is too old to get anesthesia
for teeth cleanings, I was wondering what the risks are of him getting
some
sort of gum disease. We tried brushing his teeth before and he hated it,
but
I might be willing to try it again if the risks are grave. I gave him
greenies before and he liked them, but I'm not sure I want to do that
again
after reading the stories.

My boxer grinds her teeth agassi Dog health 0 October 15th 06 12:00 PM
Why are my dogs teeth falling out? [email protected] Dog health 0 July 14th 06 11:52 PM
Missing teeth PierS Dog health 2 November 23rd 05 09:54 AM
Young dog's teeth simons5628 Dog health 1 May 25th 05 03:49 AM
How to treat dog's receding gums and loose teeth? [email protected] Dog health 5 December 22nd 04 01:44 PM