Need help from Belgian owners, trainers, experts, dog people...Anyone!!!

Old December 17th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.rescue,alt.animals.dog,alt.pets.dogs.pitbull,alt.pets.dogs.labrador
Angelo Theofanous

Default Need help from Belgian owners, trainers, experts, dog people...Anyone!!!

Hi:

Please see my comments below. Also, if you have additional guidance
please feel free to add to the conversation. Your reply seemed to
involve quotations of Psychology learning theorists. However, any
insights that you have with respect to implementation are greatly
appreciated. Dog training is an area that I have a great interest in
and would appreciate any input.

"Despite Skinner's clear denunciation of "negative
reinforcement" (1958) NEARLY EVER LEARNING
THEORY model involves the USE OF PUNISHMENT.
Of curse, Skinner has never to my knowledge, demonstrated
HOWE we escape the phenomenon that an expected reward
not received is experienced as a punishment and can produce
extensive and persistent aggression (Azrin et al, 1966)."

This dog is now one of my best friends. He is very loving
with the family, our other dog, etc. Here is what helped
us, hopefully, it will help you:

Would you BET YOUR LIFE ON IT, Angelo?

I have. And yes, I would.

(1) First, I hand fed him for about a month. He
learned that I am a food provider, not a food taker.

You mean you BOUGHT his affection, Angelo?

We will agree to disagree here. The "buying" was illustration. He
needed to understand that I don't take food. Shelter dogs learn to
protect food and valued items. They need to unlearn this.

(2) Have a firm hand and place limits.

That's ABSURD.

No it is not. I am not saying to hit the dog. If the dog is tearing
up the sofa, we should move them so that they are not tearing apart
items.

"Postitive emotions arising in connection
with the perfection of a skill, irrespective
of its pragmatic significance at a given
moment, serve as the reinforcement. IOW,
emotions, not outside rewards, are what
reinforces any behavior," Ivan Pavlov.

When the dog does something wrong, do not hesitate
to give him/her a time-out by crating. The crate is
not punishment but is a place to go and coll off.

THAT'S INSANE.

I disagree. Crate training in an effective and proven tool for house
training and for overall behavior training.

"...all the highest nervous activity, as it manifests
itself in the conditional reflex, consists of a continual
change of these three fundamental processes -- excitation,
inhibition and disinhibition," Ivan P. Pavlov

The key is that when they leave the crate, all is forgiven.

That's JUST PLAIN FOOLISH.

I disagree. Crate training in an effective and proven tool for house
training and for overall behavior training.

My Belgian will actually crate himself when he
does something wrong (no, I am not kidding).

THAT'S FEAR. DOGS DO NOT "DO WRONG", Angelo.

Assuming you are correct, should I not permit him to enter his crate?