Proin side effect?

Old December 17th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default Proin side effect?

Roxy's incontinence seems to be effectively under control with Proin. I
was giving it to her twice a day, but cut her back to once a day recently.
I noticed that for several hours after taking it, she was whiney and
agitated. This is very unlike her. So now I give it to her in the evening
only. She is still whiney and agitated, but I seem to be able to mostly
keep her happy by taking her on her evening walk, doing some training, and
playing with her. She's really not quite herself, though.

I am wondering if perhaps the dose is too high, or if I should give her
smaller doses spread throughout the day. My vet didn't have any advice for
me other than, "you can try that." Have any of you had a similar
experience with your dogs who are on Proin?

--
Lynne

Old December 17th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Could it be upsetting her stomach? You might try giving her some 100 mg
cimetadine (this dose is for a 50lb dog I would adjust accordingly) about
an hour before giving the proin and see if that helps any.

Celeste

m...

Old December 17th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:06:50 GMT, "Spot" wrote:

Could it be upsetting her stomach? You might try giving her some 100
mg cimetadine (this dose is for a 50lb dog I would adjust
accordingly) about an hour before giving the proin and see if that
helps any.

Celeste

Thanks for your reply, Celeste. Proin has restlessness and irritability
listed as possible side-effects, so I don't think it's upsetting her
stomach. I'm wondering if spreading out the dose will 1)ease the side
effects and 2)still be effective for her.

--
Lynne

Old December 17th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Lynne" wrote in message
I'm wondering if spreading out the dose will 1)ease the side
effects and 2)still be effective for her.

......It appears that this study used 1-3 times daily doses:
http://prnpharmacal.com/products/proin-i.htm
I don't see a link for the complete info sheet for this drug, maybe ask your
vet for it or look elsewhere on the web. Or go to the Center for Veterinary
Medicine and look up the NADA information. NADA is New Animal Drug
Approval. While stuff like spot on flea treatments aren't considered drugs
and aren't listed, meds like Heartgard and Proin all have studies that you
can read - different doses tried, and the results.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 17th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 19:02:29 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

To add on, I'd also be careful with drug interactions. It shouldn't be
a problem, but sometimes is. So before you add the Tagamet, try
spreading the dose out, because if you do both, you won't know which
thing was effective.

The adverse effects of Proin involve the heart and blood pressure, so I
won't be giving her Tagamet. I don't know if it is contraindicated, but I
know there are quite a few drugs you shouldn't use with Proin, including
Amitraz, which is fairly commonly used.

--
Lynne

Old December 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:29:06 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

I don't see a link for the complete info sheet for this drug, maybe
ask your vet for it or look elsewhere on the web.

I'll dig this up. I am also going to go ahead and give her smaller doses,
spread out through the day and see if it remains effective for her
incontinence or not.

--
Lynne

Old December 18th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

I wasn't aware these were the side effects. Like you said I'd break the
dosage out during the day then.

Good luck I hope she's doing better then.

Celeste