Oh Dang... here we go.

Old December 20th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

Default Oh Dang... here we go.

So we have some neighbors on the next street over, my daughter is
friends with one of their children. They have a dog, a boxer, who
obviously isn't fixed due to her getting knocked up. The father is
supposed to be American Pit Bull Terrior, I have seen him and there is
no doubt he has some pit in him, but definatly a mix. Anyhoo, they had
a litter to get rid of. We already have two great dogs, a 10+ year old
Bassett Hound, and a 1.5 year Black Lab mix, both were shelter rescued
dogs, and both are as good as a good dog can get.

We offered to take one of the puppies, as we have a nice big fenced
yard, and a loving home. They were supposed to be ready mid-january.
But... Leeroy (new puppies name) got dropped off last night at 4.5
weeks old with the statement "He is weened and we are done with them".
Wow.. He never even went to the vet because she didn't have the money.

So we go to the store and buy a playpen, a new crate, the same puppy
food he was eating (IAM Smart Puppy), toys, collar, all the essentials.
He was literally INFESTED with fleas, covered in dried feces, filthy
and smelly.I think we got the fleas under control with white vinegar,
a gentle bathing in the kitchen sink with some johnsons baby shampoo
and he is fresh and clean.
We have a vet appointment today, we are making mush out of the puppy
food by dissolving it in water till it is soft, he is eating it,
several times a day, but in very small amounts (5 pellets a feeding?).
I haven't personally seen him drink water yet, but it is always
available, and he is urinating.

I am sure he will do fine, as we have a good family and financial
resources to take care of his needs. I just need advice on how to take
care of such a young pup.

Last night he slept in our room in the playpen, he did very good, he
woke up at 2am, 4am, and then he was up and hungry at 6am. He is sweet,
he looks like he wants to follow the 'big dogs' around. When they go
out into the back yard, we take him out too and set him in the grass,
he does take care of business then. He has only had one puddle in the
house, but has gone outside a half dozen time. Don't know if it is dumb
luck, or the smell of the other dogs going outside or what.

The other dogs spent yesterday smelling him, now they seem
un-interested, just basically stepping over him to go about their
business. By 1.5 year old lab mix is a spayed bitch. When the puppy
starts crying she gets visibly upset and even starts whining a bit
herself. She had a restless night sleeping, I don't know what kind of
dynamics are coming to play there. My bassett just ignores him.
The cutest thing was this morning my Bassett was sitting down looking
at me and wagging his tail, and the puppy seemed like he was trying to
play with the wagging tail. although he is still qute clumbsy and slow.

All advice would be appreciated as we are definatly heading into
uncharted territory. I will post up some pictures of Leeroy later.

Jerry

Old December 20th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 20 Dec 2006 07:37:50 -0800, "jerryeveretts"

All advice would be appreciated as we are definatly heading into
uncharted territory. I will post up some pictures of Leeroy later.

Thank you sincerely. It is kind of you to provide a loving home for this
dog. Your vet will be able to guide you regarding feeding and care of
this canine infant.

Regarding your lab mix's reaction to the puppy sounds, even though her
uterus has been removed, her mothering instincts were not removed.
Besides, a puppy can sound like prey in distress...

It is utterly callous, stupid, cruel, etc., to separate a 4.5 week-old
puppy from its mother and siblings. Even if he can chew ball bearings,
he can not learn what his mother and siblings would have taught him in
the next few weeks. Your neighbor is a vile, ignorant and disgusting
person. Guard your daughter well.

________________________
Whatever it takes.
Old December 20th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

I'm not going to be so hard on her, single Mother raising two teenage
girls with an unplanned litter to take care of. It is what it is, and
people do whatever they feel is necessary at the time. Right wrong or
otherwise. All the puppies have found homes now as I understand it. And
I am sure in some odd way, it is probably for the best for all
involved.

I wasn't too impressed with the living conditions, they were in a
wooden box in the garage, covered in filth and feces. Maybe this is
normal, looked pretty disgusting in my book. Here is a picture from
previous home, yes that is what you think it is stuck all over the
puppy.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSC00043.jpg

Here is a picture from today, the day after arrival, this puppy is
trying to play with the 'big dog', I think the Bassett (Duke), is
somewhat amused and mildly participating.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSC00050.jpg

As an update, I work from home about half the time, usually coming home
about 11:30 AM or so, we put the puppy in his crate between the big
dogs crates, with a blanket and a the T-shirt my wife wore to bed last
night (he seems to be comforted by family smells). and a dish of water,
I got home 3 hours later to find him sitting up, alert and happy
looking, having not gone to the bathroom in the crate. I let the big
dogs out and picked him up and put him in the backyard, where he
immediately pee'd and pooped! I brought him in, and he ate the soggy
puppy food with a bit of enthusiasm from the dish. He then played for a
few, then whined for a bit, and then went soundly to sleep.
he will get crated tomorrow morning as well. Then my teenage kids have
2.5 weeks off for winter holiday. So nothing but TONS and TONS of
luvin' and attention for almost 3 straight weeks.

Old December 20th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"jerryeveretts" wrote in message
oups.com...
they were in a
wooden box in the garage, covered in filth and feces. Maybe this is
normal, looked pretty disgusting in my book.

.........At a certain point the mother stops cleaning the pups and the HUMAN
has to start picking up the poop and replacing the papers. It's at this
point they usually get dumped, way before their time, as people get sick of
it.

Here is a picture from today, the day after arrival, this puppy is
trying to play with the 'big dog', I think the Bassett (Duke), is
somewhat amused and mildly participating.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSC00050.jpg

...........Really, I would keep this puppy entirely separate from your other
dogs until he's been to the vet, and maybe even for at least a week to see
if the dog gets sick. Coming from such a home, there's always the risk of
issues like parvo and you don't want to expose your other dogs to these
diseases. At least separate the poo places outside so your other dogs can't
get to the area the puppy uses. And of course there's roundworms to be
treated, etc.

So nothing but TONS and TONS of
luvin' and attention for almost 3 straight weeks.

.............Honestly, there is NO better way to start off with a new dog in
the home, puppy or not. With that investment of time and under the tutelage
of your other dogs, you'll have the best trained puppy on the block! Just
don't forget that extra attention your other dogs need right now. All the
best to you.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 20th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Robin Nuttall

buglady wrote:

"jerryeveretts" wrote in message
oups.com...

So nothing but TONS and TONS of

luvin' and attention for almost 3 straight weeks.

............Honestly, there is NO better way to start off with a new dog in
the home, puppy or not. With that investment of time and under the tutelage
of your other dogs, you'll have the best trained puppy on the block! Just
don't forget that extra attention your other dogs need right now. All the
best to you.

Just one caution. Even more than most, this is a teeny, tiny puppy.
Lovin' and attention need to be in short spans. You can completely wear
out the little guys and even make them sick if you play with them
constantly. Not trying to disourage lots of socialization, but be alert
and give him lots and lots of sleep time. At this age he can probably
still sleep 18-20 hours a day.

Old December 20th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

Robin Nuttall wrote:
buglady wrote:

[...]

I've been noticing he likes a cycle. He wakes, spends about 5 minutes
on the grass and potty's, then has a lite snack, plays for about 5
minutes, then back to sleep for about 2 hours.. then repeat.

Old December 21st 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 20 Dec 2006 19:39:45 GMT, "jerryeveretts"
wrote:

I've been noticing he likes a cycle. He wakes, spends about 5 minutes
on the grass and potty's, then has a lite snack, plays for about 5
minutes, then back to sleep for about 2 hours.. then repeat.

I hope all of Leroy's litter mates are as fortunate with their new homes as
he obviously is with yours. For a pup who had all the odds stacked against
him, I feel quite certain you will give him everything he needs, and more.
Good on ya!

--
Lynne

Old December 21st 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

Robin Nuttall wrote:
buglady wrote:

[...]

----------
He is awfully cute, and he looks healthy in the photo; keep us updated with
more photos as he grows.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s/DSC00050.jpg

he's a little cutie! congrats on the new addition and great job for
rescuing him.

Old December 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
AWilliamson

wrote:

We have a vet appointment today, we are making mush out of the puppy
food by dissolving it in water till it is soft, he is eating it,

Our dachshund had a litter with 7 puppies and when they got about 4
weeks old, we had to start supplementing their diet ourselves. I'm
kind of a holistic type person, so we got goats milk and mixed it with
milk replacer you get at the feed store. They are now 8 weeks old and
beautiful. They eventually weaned themselves, as we had to monitor
their nursing. They need the extra calcium in the milk replacer or
their bones won't develop correctly.

Amy

Nature and Science in Harmony
http://www.shaklee.net/williamson/