Puppy diarrhoea ... when is it serious?

Old December 24th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ian P

Default Puppy diarrhoea ... when is it serious?

Hello all,

My name is Ian from Australia and I am new to this group and wondered if
someone could give me some thoughts on puppy diarrhoea. I brought home two
Calavlier King Charles Spaniels - a boy and a girl, littermates - a few days
ago. They were with the breeder, and their mother and other littermates
before that. They're both looking and behaving very happily and healthily
except that the girl (and to a lesser extent, the boy, too) has fairly
regular diarrhoea. She goes about six or so times through the day, and then
a few times at night. It's not really severe - but fairly loose, sometimes
quite runny. She's eating well and doesn't seem ill in any other way. I'm
feeding her the same food that the breeder fed them. He's a little similar,
but not going as often as her, and a little firmer usually. I'm home with
them all the time, and will probably take them to the vet on Wednesday,
after Christmas, but just wondered, in the meantime, if it's unusual after
puppies move to a new home for this to go on for several days.

Thanks for any advice,
Ian

Old December 24th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ian P

Sorry ... forgot to mention in my first post, they were both just seven
weeks' old when they came to me.

Thanks again,
Ian

Old December 24th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Ian P" wrote in message
Sorry ... forgot to mention in my first post, they were both just seven
weeks' old when they came to me.
My name is Ian from Australia and I am new to this group and wondered if
someone could give me some thoughts on puppy diarrhoea.

.......Even though they're eating the same food, there's a whole new set of
germs they have to adjust to and the water may be different. That said,
puppies can dehydrate fairly quickly, so it's best to check with your vet
about these kinds of things to make sure nothing's going on.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 24th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tony

"Ian P" wrote in message
[...]

Ian, I would not worry about it too much as long as it does not go on for
weeks. I have had puppies here that do suffer from diarrhoea occasionally.
Make sure they drink water regularly so as not to get dehydrated and try to
feed them a kibble type food (dry) as a alternative to their usual food wet
food. Here in the UK I feed my King Charles puppies 'Nature Diet' as their
main meal with a dry kibble as an alternative choice. (James Wellbeloved
Chicken & Rice Kibble for puppies) Both of these are uually available for
them to choose from all the time. If the puppies are not showing interest
in eating, its usually advised that you dont try encouraging them to eat,
however if you cant get them to eat kibble and you are concerned, you might
find that playing a game with them (throwing individual bits on the floor
for them to catch, might get some kibble down them. My own King Charles
loves catching kibble and eating it. Kibble usually gets any diarrhoea
sorted quite soon.

You didn't actaully say if you are already feeding them a dry food.... So
my post might not be very useful.

Drop me a reply in the group...

Merry Christmas.
Tony

Old December 24th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
AWilliamson

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 19:00:36 +1100, "Ian P"
wrote:

re with the breeder, and their mother and other littermates
before that. They're both looking and behaving very happily and healthily
except that the girl (and to a lesser extent, the boy, too) has fairly
regular diarrhoea. Sh

Canned pumpking works great, along with adding some probiotics

Amy

Nature and Science in Harmony
http://www.shaklee.net/williamson/
Old December 26th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ian P

"Ian P" wrote in message
Hello all,

My name is Ian from Australia and I am new to this group and wondered if
someone could give me some thoughts on puppy diarrhoea. I brought home two
Calavlier King Charles Spaniels - a boy and a girl, littermates - a few
days ago. They were with the breeder, and their mother and other
littermates before that. They're both looking and behaving very happily
and healthily except that the girl (and to a lesser extent, the boy, too)
has fairly regular diarrhoea.

Many thanks to everyone for your insights and advice on this. I ended up
taking both puppies to the vet on Chrtistmas morning, but the vet really
felt that there was little cause for alarm, and that, at worse, they just
had a mild bug. He gave them a sulfa injection, in case it was coccidiosis,
and recommended that I withold food for a day, and then re-introduce food
slowly. So today I have given them just a little bit of plain cooked turkey,
lots of water, and tomorrow I will mix that with some mashed pumpkin (thanks
Amy, for that suggestion!). They seem to be getting better. The girl still
has runny stools occasionally, but not all the time and she is going much
less than before. Sometimes there seems like there might be a slight trace
of blood in her stools ... so I am keeping an eye on that in case it
persists, but it is very, very sporadic. But I will go back to the vet if
it keeps happening. They are both still in very high spirits, very good
appetites, and in all other respects very well. Does that sound like they
are coming on okay to you all? It seems consistent with what the vet told me
to expect.

thanks,
Ian