some sleep would be wonderfull

Old December 24th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

Default some sleep would be wonderfull

Leeroy is seeming fine and happy, except when he wakes up at 4am, we
take him out, feed him, but he won't go back to sleep on his own, he
yells. We have read to ignore it, but he is far to persistent, this
isn't normal crying, this is YELLING, that wakes the whole house up,
the only way to stop it is to hold him in bed the rest of the night. We
have tried to let him "self settle" for up to three hours, not
happening. Some advice would certainly be welcome here.

Old December 24th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 17:43:38 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

We'd sleep with the puppy.

We slept with our former puppy and have many fond memories of "puppy
hat."

That's what I would do, too. After he does his early morning duties and if
he'll settle in your bed, consider letting him sleep with you.

Two of my dogs always slept in the crate as pups and graduated to bed
privileges later. My current dog came to me very sick with kennel cough
and I brought her into my bed the second night so I could comfort her. She
never left!

--
Lynne

Old December 24th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On 24 Dec 2006 08:50:21 -0800, "jerryeveretts"
wrote:

Leeroy is seeming fine and happy, except when he wakes up at 4am, we
take him out, feed him, but he won't go back to sleep on his own, he
yells. We have read to ignore it, but he is far to persistent, this
isn't normal crying, this is YELLING, that wakes the whole house up,
the only way to stop it is to hold him in bed the rest of the night. We
have tried to let him "self settle" for up to three hours, not
happening. Some advice would certainly be welcome here.

I don't let the big dogs in my bed, but I let them sleep next to my
bed. Have the crate next to you where you can put a hand down to be
smelled and reassure the pup that it is not alone. With our mini
poodle puppy, it worked out fine to have him sleep in the bed. I
could tell and wake up when he needed to go out and he would not
complain about being alone. I've found that he is especially snuggly
now, which is a bonus for my daughter who sleeps with him now. He
used to be kind of energetic sometimes when I wanted to sleep, so I
taught him "go sleepy!" I would tell him to go sleepy and then hold
him down with one hand while giving him belly rubs with the other.
Since belly rubs are his favorite thing, he was happy to stay down for
that. Before long, telling him to go sleepy would result in his
throwing himself joyfully down on the bed next to me all snuggled up
with belly presented for rubbing. After rubbing a bit to settle him
down, I go to sleep with my hand there resting on him and he goes
right to sleep.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old December 24th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:24:42 -0500, montana wildhack

On 2006-12-24 15:37:29 -0500, Paula said:

I taught him "go sleepy!"

We taught "it's bedtime" which I used last night. I haven't been
sleeping in the bedroom with Bella, so she missed me and was jumping on
& off the bed, driving me crazy.

I used the magic words & she settled right down. We gently rub the hair
on the top of her head forward, against the grain, and that used to
make her drop right off. Still works, but so do belly rubs.

When my kids were babies, I would hold them and rock them when it was
time for them to go to sleep and whisper a little "go sleepy, go
sleepy, go sleepy, little baby girl" song to them right next to their
ears. They then picked up on telling me when they wanted to snuggle
and rock when they were tired that they wanted to "go sleepy." So "go
sleepy" was the logical phrase for us even though it probably would
make no sense for anyone else.

It makes for a cute parlor trick, too. When I am sitting on the couch
watching tv, I can tell Sammie to go sleepy and he'll jump his front
paws up to the couch, keeping his back paws on the floor and turning
his head to the side to lay it on my lap while his tail wags wildly.
It is especially funny to see him turning his head as he jumps up to
put it on my lap like he's jumping sideways and straight ahead at the
same time. They like to make Sammie go sleepy when they have their
friends over. Sammie loves to oblige because he loves to be thought
cute almost as much as he loves the belly rubs.

My daughter has loved the colder weather because Sammie stays snuggled
right next to her all night instead of moving to different spots
throughout the night. I think she deserves a wandering dog, though,
because that girl can't sit still or even sleep still to save her
life!

With Molly, we tell her she is "so pretty" or ask "Who's so pretty?"
She comes running from wherever she is and comes close enough to be
petted all over her neck, face, and, of course, ears while she preens
and smiles and wags her tail like crazy.

All of them come running when I yell out, "Where's my poopty?" It
means everyone is going to get lots of lovies. I think I may have
watched the Little Mermaid video too many times when my kids were
little to have picked up calling them poopties.

We recently have been working more on Sammie not jumping up on my bed
without permission because he has muddy paws so much of the time. So
now he comes in when I am on my bed and gives his prettiest sit with
his cutest face ever and whimpers like he can hardly stand it. When I
do let him up, he comes bounding over to me and licks the air
repeatedly and excitedly because he knows he is not supposed to lick
me. It's a good thing he's so cute and entertaining, because he likes
to shred paper, which is not a good thing, especially around the
holidays. I guess my daughters will learn to be more careful about
shutting the door of the room with the Christmas tree/presents in it
eventually.

One thing I've noticed is that my kids, their friends and the dogs all
love to be around a silly household where there are tons of ways to
get the attention both dogs and kids crave. My daughter's best friend
has taken to demanding her turn when I am squishing my kids. If my
kids ask for a candy or something, I tell them I am thinking about it
but letting me squish them might help. The friend would get one
without being squished and knows it, but she comes over for her turn
as well. I think it's important for the dogs to know positive ways to
get the attention they crave, especially if their not so positive ways
drive you nuts. It's just as important for kids to have a repertoire
of behaviors you like that will get them what they want.

Old December 26th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jerryeveretts

We would be happy to SLEEP with the puppy. The problem is, he wakes up
about every hour, and if he is in the bed, he starts licking, chewing,
squirming, until you wake up. He won't sleep IN the bed, but only
cuddled up in a human crevice, like an armpit, or a neck, ect...

If he would cuddle up and sleep, that would be great. I think we may
try to keep him up a lot during to day, so he is more tired at night,
seems he may be on a backward schedule.

Old December 26th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On 26 Dec 2006 08:31:13 -0800, "jerryeveretts"
wrote:

We would be happy to SLEEP with the puppy. The problem is, he wakes up
about every hour, and if he is in the bed, he starts licking, chewing,
squirming, until you wake up. He won't sleep IN the bed, but only
cuddled up in a human crevice, like an armpit, or a neck, ect...

If he would cuddle up and sleep, that would be great. I think we may
try to keep him up a lot during to day, so he is more tired at night,
seems he may be on a backward schedule.

You don't necessarily even have to keep him up a lot all day. But not
letting him nap in the hours before you expect to go to bed can make a
huge difference. Play with him a lot in the evenings to get his
energy out and also meet that need to spend active time with you, but
then have some more quiet activities just before you want him to go to
bed so he isn't all riled up but isn't sleeping either. Then bedtime
should be a calmer experience.

Old December 27th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
AWilliamson

wrote:

We have read to ignore it, but he is far to persistent, this
isn't normal crying, this is YELLING, that wakes the whole house up,
the only way to stop it is to hold him in bed the rest of the night.

I put my puppies in a crate, make sure they have gone potty. I don't
ever give in and take them out while they are crying. Then it becomes
a learned behavior and too hard to break. My daughter took home one
of the little doxie pups from our litter of babies. It just took a
couple of nights and he is doing fine. They take him outside, once
early in the am to go to the bathroom.

Here's an excellent article that is well worth the read
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

Amy

Nature and Science in Harmony
http://www.shaklee.net/williamson/
Old December 29th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara

AWilliamson wrote in
:

http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

Wow. This was a blast from the past.

Robin was my very first dog mentor. We used to spend HOURS on the phone
when I was trying to find out how to become a dog trainer, and the results
of lots of our conversations ended up on her "how to become a dog trainer"
page. She was a very gentle and wise woman, and was a critical part of my
evolution as a trainer. She was a constant presence, always reminding me to
keep learning....no matter what. To get complacent in my knowledge of dog
training is to stop being an active participant in the process. That was
the most important thing she ever taught me.

The last time I saw her in person, she was deeply in the throes of
chemotherapy sickness but still claiming her seat at a seminar on handling
dog aggression. That's how I'll always remember her...forever expanding her
knowledge and trying to reach out to others in order to get them to do the
same.

I miss her presence very much. I'm glad to see that someone is still
maintaining her website after all these years.

Robin Kovary, RIP.
You were a true friend to animals...and to me.

Tara
Old January 4th 07, 02:08 AM
Chester's Mom Chester's Mom is offline
Junior Member

Location: Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryeveretts
Leeroy is seeming fine and happy, except when he wakes up at 4am, we
take him out, feed him, but he won't go back to sleep on his own, he
yells. We have read to ignore it, but he is far to persistent, this
isn't normal crying, this is YELLING, that wakes the whole house up,
the only way to stop it is to hold him in bed the rest of the night. We
have tried to let him "self settle" for up to three hours, not
happening. Some advice would certainly be welcome here.
Okay, this might sound a little over simplified... but here goes:

When I adopted Chester from the pound at 6 weeks old (he's a chow/lab mix) he was TINY! He was one of 3 pups in the kennel. In the state of Arizona, (where I originally adopted him) you can't bring home a pup unless he/she has been neutered or spayed so I had to pick him up at the vet's office. So much for instant gratification!!! Anyway, I bought a plush dog toy approximately the same size he was since I thought he'd miss having littermates to cuddle with or lean on while sleeping.

He not only slept through the night, but he STILL loves his "stuffy's".

He's now 5 years old.

Hope this helps.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."

Will Rogers, 1897-1935