Orphan pups and sleeping schedule

Old December 30th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
vcanfield

Default Orphan pups and sleeping schedule

Hi,

I found 7 orphan pups the day before Christmas Eve. I'm lucky that way.

I am a teacher who, working with some other teachers, did a spay and
release on a feral cat in the wooded area next to my school. We have
had two weeks off so I went out to leave food for the cat. While I was
there I heard wimpering and looked looked under a wooden ramp where I
feed the cat to find 7 puppies. They were soaking wet (it was raining),
rolling in the mud and on the verge of hypothermia. Not seeing a mama
dog I got a towel and put them in the car. She may have been around,
but she choose a very bad place to keep her pups. I took them to the
San Antonio Animal Defense League, but there was no room at the inn.
They, and about 10 other organizations I have contacted, are searching
for someone to foster at least 3 of them.

I have since been back to leave food for her also and a makeshift
shelter out of a dog crate. The food is gone, but no sign of the
mother.

Anyway, the pups had their umbilical cords on. They fell off during the
next 2 days. I estimate they were either born that day or the day
before. It has now been 1 week. I don't really remember much of the
past seven days- it has been a blur of syringe, and then bottle
feeding, poop, pee, cleaning wiggling furballs and towel washing. They
are now either a pound each or close to it. My mother has taken 2 of
the pups to nurse and keep so that leaves me with 5 pups. They are now
fat butterballs and either a pound or close to it.

Now my question- I have read that if you feed them every 3 hours or so
and get all their calories in during they day, they should sleep
through the night. Does anyone know if this is true? The idea of having
to wake up at 2am and take an hour to feed and clean them and then
getting up again at 6am to do it again and then go to work leaves me
feeling ill. I don't know if I can function at work on that kind of
schedule. Oh, I also have a 4-year old human child thrown into the mix.
Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks,

Veronica -Sleepless in San Antonio

Old December 31st 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
vcanfield

Default Orphan pups and sleeping schedule- Update

Well,

I found out puppies are much like babies. Once they reach a certain
weight, usually 1 pound) they begin sleeping longer. I talked to a lady
who fosters all the time (what a wonderful soul to volunteer to do
this) and she said at this age and weight 4 hours is typical. Next week
they may go to 5 hours before they begin to fuss.

Thankfully she also has a foster home ready to take some of them in
Monday or Tuesday of next week. She was about the 10th organization I
contacted. Bless those wonderful people who take the time out to have
such a wonderful network that helps all those fuzzy faces.

Thanks to all,

Veronica Canfield