Chow

Old January 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
nay

Default Chow

my dog is a chow (hairy, fluffy, purple tongue, cute little face,
playful and pleasant) and it has suddenly started scratching like mad.
I take it to the parlour every week to have her washed and blow dried
and occassionally "dipped" there arent any fleas, according to the vet
and the lady at the parlour but she plays a whole rock concert at
night! what to do? I am at my wits end....I feel like getting up and
shaving all the bladdy hair off!!! Yes, I know my dog will look
pathetic but I cant go on with this rock concert the whole night!!!

help !!! before I start howling at my own effing moon!!

Nay

Old January 3rd 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On 3 Jan 2007 06:20:46 -0800, "nay" , clicked
their heels and said:

I take it to the parlour every week to have her washed and blow dried
and occassionally "dipped" there arent any fleas, according to the vet
and the lady at the parlour but she plays a whole rock concert at
night! what to do?

She may have incredibly dry skin from all that bathing and drying.
Also, skin problems tend to come from within, so what you're feeding
has an effect as well.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 3rd 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

my dog is a chow (hairy, fluffy, purple tongue, cute little face,
playful and pleasant) and it has suddenly started scratching like mad.
I take it to the parlour every week to have her washed and blow dried
and occassionally "dipped" there arent any fleas, according to the vet
and the lady at the parlour but she plays a whole rock concert at
night! what to do? I am at my wits end....I feel like getting up and
shaving all the bladdy hair off!!! Yes, I know my dog will look
pathetic but I cant go on with this rock concert the whole night!!!

help !!! before I start howling at my own effing moon!!

It could be related to the products used during her grooming. Every week can
be excessive for most dogs especially if the products are causing a derm
problem. She could have developed a food allergy. You may want to start
feeding her an allergy diet such as Hills Z/D. Or she may have developed an
auto immune disorder. There are many possibilities. Only a vet can diagnose
it. But start with changing grooming products. Maybe go to an oatmeal
formula shampoo and cut groomings down to once or twice monthly. Then look
into an allergy diet. But don't count out other medical possibilities.

-Sharon

Old January 3rd 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
nay

I'm feeding her pedigree dog food....maybe I should change the brand
for a month and see what happens. what can I do for the dry skin? If
I dont bathe her, then she gets all matted and smelly - the hair is
thick.

Old January 3rd 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
nay

okay thanx - I will cut down on the grooming and also ask the parlour
lady what they have been using and then buy her own shampoo. as for
the food, I thought I would change it for a month and see what happens.
She never liked the Hills the last time we tried it and we took the
bag back. The vet said that most dogs love the Hills but our baby
didnt (strange - it looked so good even I wouldve eaten it- ha ha ha
ha)

Old January 3rd 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . com,
nay wrote:
okay thanx - I will cut down on the grooming and also ask the parlour
lady what they have been using and then buy her own shampoo. as for
the food, I thought I would change it for a month and see what happens.

If you change more than one thing at the same time you won't
be able to isolate what's making a difference. That said,
if you aren't interested in what causes the changes, only
that they change, you might want to look for a food with
higher fat content. Don't go overboard - stick with
high-quality pet foods (not performance formulas and
whatnot) - but a little more fat will make a difference in
the dog's skin and coat. I'm not sure what's available in
South Africa but in the US it would be feeds like California
Natural, Eukanuba, Canidae, etc.

Sending more troops into a war is properly called an "escalation."
Old January 3rd 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

I'm feeding her pedigree dog food....maybe I should change the brand
for a month and see what happens. what can I do for the dry skin? If
I dont bathe her, then she gets all matted and smelly - the hair is
thick.

Some dogs need to be brushed daily with a good undercoat brush. You need to
keep her natural oils in the skin - not strip them every week with bathing.

Old January 3rd 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"nay" wrote in message
oups.com...
my dog is a chow (hairy, fluffy, purple tongue, cute little face,
playful and pleasant) and it has suddenly started scratching like mad.
I take it to the parlour every week to have her washed and blow dried
and occassionally "dipped" there arent any fleas, according to the vet
and the lady at the parlour but she plays a whole rock concert at
night! what to do? I am at my wits end....I feel like getting up and
shaving all the bladdy hair off!!! Yes, I know my dog will look
pathetic but I cant go on with this rock concert the whole night!!!

help !!! before I start howling at my own effing moon!!

Nay

=============
Chows have very sensative skin. I used to have to use a prescription
shampoo for my Chow when I took him to the groomer. His skin had become
flaky and itchy, so the vet had me try a different shampoo which she
prescribed and that worked for him. Ask your vet to check out the Chows
skin. I don't think weekly shampooing is good for the Chow's skin and coat.
it simply dries them out. I had my Chow groomed and shampooed every three
months. They do, of course, have to ge groomed on a regular basis or their
undercoats become matty and that can also cause skin sores.. Ask your vet
how often it would be safe to shampoo your dog.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Michael A. Ball

On 3 Jan 2007 06:20:46 -0800, "nay" wrote:

my dog is a chow (hairy, fluffy, purple tongue, cute little face,
playful and pleasant) and it has suddenly started scratching like mad.
I take it to the parlour every week to have her washed and blow dried
and occassionally "dipped" there arent any fleas, according to the vet
and the lady at the parlour but she plays a whole rock concert at
night! what to do? I am at my wits end....I feel like getting up and
shaving all the bladdy hair off!!! Yes, I know my dog will look
pathetic but I cant go on with this rock concert the whole night!!!

"Every week"!? I can't believe my eyes.

My Chow Chows live inside, of course. I bathe them when I bring them
home, and then again in two or three years--if they really need it. I
use an undercoat rake, with long slender tines, everyday. People are
always telling me how beautiful my dogs are, and I think they smell
great!

Pedigre might not be as good as you think, and that's all I'm going to
say about that.

If your dog's quarters are prone to static electricity, that can cause
problems. If your dog's undercoat is releasing, it causes him to itch.

I do not consider Chow Chows to have sensitive skin, but there is no
doubt in my mind that your dog's skin is dried out from all of the
washing.

My Chow Chows get a table spoonful of Linatone (an oil supplement) each
day; and if they develop an itch problem I check for loose undercoat,
and massage mineral oil into their skin. Aside from evergreen needles
and weeds, we have no itch problems.

Please, don't shave your dog. His hair doesn't itch: his skin does. And
you're about to change that. :-)

I hope you'll join me in using the non-abbreviated form of the breed's
name: Chow Chow.

_________________________
Chow Chow Nightbear and me: two beasts, one heart.
I'll meet you at The Rainbow Bridge.
Old January 3rd 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"nay" wrote in message
oups.com...
my dog is a chow (hairy, fluffy, purple tongue, cute little face,
playful and pleasant) and it has suddenly started scratching like mad.
I take it to the parlour every week to have her washed and blow dried
and occassionally "dipped" there arent any fleas, according to the vet
and the lady at the parlour but she plays a whole rock concert at
night! what to do? I am at my wits end....I feel like getting up and
shaving all the bladdy hair off!!! Yes, I know my dog will look
pathetic but I cant go on with this rock concert the whole night!!!

help !!! before I start howling at my own effing moon!!

Nay

=================
You might find some info in these links.
Please note in the links that these dogs do have sensitive skin and the care
that should be taken when bathing, rinsing, drying off and the food they eat
can affect their skin. Some Chow Chows are prone to skin allergies. My dog
had a hot spot that had to be shaved to be treated, but other than for
medical reasons, I would suggest not to shave them. Their hair works as
insulation in the summer as long as it is brushed out and keeps them warm in
the winter. It takes forever for thier hair to grow back, and they don't
look good without it either.

http://chinarosechows.com/chowfaq.html#med

http://www.barkbytes.com/bremed/chow.htm

http://sachowchow.lamygale.net/chowgrm_feed.htm