Dog broke a nail on her paw, now it is infected...

Old January 3rd 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default Dog broke a nail on her paw, now it is infected...

My dog broke a nail on her paw, it is torn in half and has torn part of
her paw. Now it looks like it is getting infected. She keeps licking
at it and it is starting to turn red and smells bad. I don't have
money right now to take her to a vet, is there anything I can do to
help treat her at home?

Old January 3rd 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

wrote in message
ups.com...
My dog broke a nail on her paw, it is torn in half and has torn part of
her paw. Now it looks like it is getting infected. She keeps licking
at it and it is starting to turn red and smells bad. I don't have
money right now to take her to a vet, is there anything I can do to
help treat her at home?

=========
Take the dog to the vet now. Ask if you can pay the bill in monthly
payments.

Old January 3rd 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article . com,
wrote:
My dog broke a nail on her paw, it is torn in half and has torn part of
her paw. Now it looks like it is getting infected. She keeps licking
at it and it is starting to turn red and smells bad. I don't have
money right now to take her to a vet, is there anything I can do to
help treat her at home?

Infections are risky. There's always a chance it will
resolve on its own, but when infections go wrong they can
lead to gangrene (which in turn can lead to amputation),
they can become systemic, and so on. This is definitely one
for the vet. The last time I had a dog wound become smelly
the flesh around it had already become necrotic and I don't
mess around with infections any more. Fortunately a lot of
antibiotics are not very expensive.

Sending more troops into a war is properly called an "escalation."
Old January 3rd 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

(Melinda Shore) wrote in news:engoqb$pu7$1
@panix3.panix.com:

Fortunately a lot of antibiotics are not very expensive.

And *lots* cheaper than amputation.

--
Shelly

Pancakes!
-- Dennis, Cabin Fever
Old January 4th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Thanks!

The information you've given me has been really helpful.